JRiver DLNA "Specified Output Format" and Sonica

Syrah

JRiver DLNA "Specified Output Format" and Sonica
« on: 21 Jun 2017, 03:02 am »
Hi All,

I bought a Modwright Oppo Sonica DAC.  It sounds great when it works, but I've been struggling with playback issues in both ethernet and USB.

I'll start with ethernet.  I've had issues with the first few seconds of tracks stuttering and starting a few seconds in to the track.

Having attempted to narrow things down, I've changed the JRiver settings for DLNA servers.

I have it on "Audiophile 24-bit DAC".  Then under Audio - Mode, I had it as "Original" but I've now changed it to "Specified output format".  The problems seem to have gone away for now.

What is happening exactly?

I've attempted to figure this out online, to not much avail.  It seems that if it's "Original" the computer doesn't do the work, it's passed to the DAC.  If it's "Specified output format" the computer figures out what the format is, turns it in to 24 bit PCM then sends that to the DAC.

Is that generally correct?

Has my stuttering stopped because I've moved processing from the Sonica to the PC?

Am I still getting full res. 24/192, DSD, etc?

Thanks.

Big Red Machine

Re: JRiver DLNA "Specified Output Format" and Sonica
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jun 2017, 11:03 am »
You have it set correctly. You will get the correct rez and you can check this while the track is playing by hovering over the track in the playing now field or if using JRemote, it tells you what is playing as well.

It can be frustrating some times as the blog site is so full of advanced questions, our simple start up issues seem to get washed down and hidden in 30 screens of technobabble about things mere mortals have not even considered attempting yet!

BPT

• Industry Participant
  • Balanced Power Technologies

Mike-48

« Reply #3 on: 21 Jun 2017, 08:07 pm »
Sometimes I have experienced stuttering and similar problems when using a DAC (like the Sonica) without gapless support, but when I had the "gapless support" setting ON for the server. If your problem recurs, you might check that.

mojave

« Reply #4 on: 21 Jun 2017, 10:07 pm »
Unless your DAC is a distance from your computer, I wouldn't use DLNA and would use a hardware direct mode with USB. If using Windows, you can download the USB driver here. If using MAC, no driver is required.

Syrah

« Reply #5 on: 21 Jun 2017, 10:18 pm »
Thanks guys.  I have some experiments to try tonight.

The attached link suggests that I should have Mode as "Original".  But the stuttering seemed to go away when I switched it from "Original" to "Specified format".  My rudimentary thinking was that changing this made the processing take place in the computer instead of the Sonica, which is what cured the stuttering.  I'll try going back to "Original" and see if the gapless setting is the issue.

And the link suggests I should have Bitstream DSD off, which is the opposite to what others seem to say.

It's a shame that the Sonica does not change colours like my Chord did - to indicate what format is actually making its way to the DAC.  I'll have to use (gasp) my ears.

I appreciate the help everyone.  I was starting to fear the technological circle of Synology blaming Oppo, Oppo blaming Jriver, Jriver blaming Synology, then everyone blaming cabling, switches, etc.  Rinse, wash, repeat.

Oppo have been surprisingly helpful so far, for a big outfit.  And Modwright seems to have them on side in terms of not just blaming the mods and walking away.  I guess when you encourage that many Oppo purchases, it comes with some negotiating power.  Good news for those of you considering Modwright modded Oppo units.

I have not yet fully taken up my next issue, that my USB doesn't work either.  At all.  Mojave - I can try that once I get my USB working.  It doesn't work with my computer and it doesn't work with my MicroRendu either.  My computer says the USB is working and shows music playing on JRiver - but it's not.  The MicroRendu fully checks out as working too - but, again, no music. 

One problem at a time.

Syrah

« Reply #6 on: 22 Jun 2017, 01:51 am »
Grr. 

It's still stuttering or at least starting a couple of notes in at the beginning of tracks.  My Synology resource monitor shows sky high network usage at the beginning of tracks, but that's only at about 300kb/s.  For some reason, that's about 100%.  My Gig switch shows everything operating at gig speed, except the connection to the Sonica (which I guess is not gig).  I switched the cables a few times on that one - no difference.

Mike-48

« Reply #7 on: 22 Jun 2017, 02:09 am »
You could load a DLNA control point on your phone. Most control point apps have a local renderer. If that works w/o stuttering, the problem is the Oppo.

Here are settings that work in my JRiver DLNA server. These are in the options under Media Network > Add or Configure DLNA Servers

Audio > Mode : Original
Audio > Format : PCM 24 bit
Advanced > Bitstream DSD (UNchecked)
Advanced > DLNA (checked)
Advanced > DLNA extra (checked)

It is easy to find other DLNA servers to see if they work better. I use MinimServer, running directly on a Synology NAS. It also will run on a PC or *ix box with the music mounted as a share.  Another good server (AssetUPnP) is made by the dBpoweramp developer. Finally, Synology ships with its own DLNA server.

Also, check the DLNA control point you are using. If you are using an Oppo app, try something else. A good one for Android is BubbleUPnP. I don't know what's good for iOS.

A friend has both Roon and a DLNA server on his NAS. When Roon is running, it fouls up the DLNA server.

Try to get CD-quality working first, then Hi Res 96/24, then 192/24. Don't mess with DSD until all that is working flawlessly.

Yours sounds like a network problem, but it could be software or hardware.

Good luck!

oem-wheels

« Reply #8 on: 22 Jun 2017, 04:23 am »
and if that don't work....  try gently lifting up the computer, tip toe to the front door, and see if you can make it into the trash bin from there...  that's what I would do and you know what ? i'd be having good music playing in my place with my trusty discs.... I want to get into downloads but I know whats happening to Syrah is going to happen to me twice and I know nothing about computers and little patience... Melco says "no computer needed"... pretty sure i'm starting there... got my new Oppo 205 and plan to get it Modwrighted but want to make sure I can even get it to work..  ha ....  hope you get it fixed

MttBsh

« Reply #9 on: 22 Jun 2017, 05:08 am »
I'm a complete neophyte when it comes to computer audio but I bought a Sonore Microrendu and a power supply, total price around one grand and it hooks up by USB to my DAC. I use JRiver in DLNA mode on my desktop and JRemote on my iPad. JRiver is fed by a external WD drive next to my desktop. I can see my 4TBs worth of albums on my iPad - I simply select an album and play the tracks and I get far better sound than from any CD source I've ever used.

Once this was set up - and it just took me a short while - it is remarkably easy to use. I love this setup. Believe me when I tell you, I was intimidated by computer audio but if I can do it, I guarantee you can!     

Big Red Machine

« Reply #10 on: 22 Jun 2017, 05:59 pm »
and if that don't work....  try gently lifting up the computer, tip toe to the front door, and see if you can make it into the trash bin from there...  that's what I would do and you know what ? i'd be having good music playing in my place with my trusty discs.... I want to get into downloads but I know whats happening to Syrah is going to happen to me twice and I know nothing about computers and little patience... Melco says "no computer needed"... pretty sure i'm starting there... got my new Oppo 205 and plan to get it Modwrighted but want to make sure I can even get it to work..  ha ....  hope you get it fixed

I hope you reconsider and rip your collection to files and enjoy how glorious your sound will be with a computer based system. It's kind of a waste, but I never use my CDP as a transport anymore. It collects dust. SPDIF out to a dac is light years behind in quality the ripped files can produce. You can do it! If I can do it, anyone can.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: 22 Jun 2017, 06:22 pm »
Yeah, then get Roon and be done.   :thumb: