« Reply #2 on: 5 Jun 2017, 04:07 pm »
now that's uncalled for 

Wind Chaser

Re: Why the hate?
« Reply #3 on: 5 Jun 2017, 04:12 pm »
[

I'm going on my 4th Prius and believe me if it werent for this

I'd be driving a much more interesting car :icon_lol:

The reality is the above illustrates why the Prius one of the most interesting cars on the road.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #4 on: 16 Jun 2017, 03:18 am »
.............I'm going on my 4th Prius and believe me if it werent for this...........
I'd be driving a much more interesting car :icon_lol:
I've never gotten the point of the Prius.
No hate, just curious as to why a consumer would buy one.
I'm looking to be educated, not starting a fight.

RDavidson

« Reply #5 on: 16 Jun 2017, 03:39 am »
A Prius is an efficient means to an end...and that's all.

sts9fan

« Reply #6 on: 16 Jun 2017, 03:46 am »
I judge Prius drivers while cruising in my Bolt.

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #7 on: 16 Jun 2017, 03:52 am »
A friend recently drove from Louisiana to Chicago and back with 4 adults in the Prius.  He said they were comfortable and got over 40 mpg.  I took a Prius taxi in Vancouver, WA a few years back and both of us 6'2"+ guys  enjoyed the ride and the driver said he liked it.  That's why people buy them.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #8 on: 16 Jun 2017, 04:30 am »
I call them *Douche Buggies*. Not in a kind, funny way.  :evil:

Here in So Cal, Prius owners feel like they own the road, and will drive their sorry pieces of crap in the fast lane at 55 because they're saving the earth.  :cuss:

They pull onto the freeway at full power, going about 45 mph. The problem with that is if you're stuck behind the douche there is a 78-thousand-pound semi-truck bearing down on your ass at 70 mph. Douche Buggy don't care, he's saving the earth.  :duh:

Hate is an understatement.  8)

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #9 on: 16 Jun 2017, 05:37 am »

Here in So Cal, Prius owners feel like they own the road, and will drive their sorry pieces of crap in the fast lane at 55 because they're saving the earth.  :cuss:

They pull onto the freeway at full power, going about 45 mph. The problem with that is if you're stuck behind the douche there is a 78-thousand-pound semi-truck bearing down on your ass at 70 mph. Douche Buggy don't care, he's saving the earth.  :duh:

You must be an angry driver.  :nono:

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #10 on: 16 Jun 2017, 06:03 am »
You must be an angry driver.  :nono:

I'm officially on record as being an angry pedestrian, too.  :thumb:

Here in So Cal you say it about everybody. If you don't, you're a part of the problem...
I get road-rage when I'm walking...   :cuss:

Emil

« Reply #11 on: 16 Jun 2017, 11:00 am »

If you live in a congested area like I do , this is reason enough Bob. It helps shorten my commute on the Long Island Distressway.

Great gas mileage is a plus. My commute is 35 miles each way and I fill my 13 gallon tank once every 12-14 days.

It s great commuter car with solid reliability. Wouldn't want to take a long trip in it thou

Shakeydeal

« Reply #12 on: 16 Jun 2017, 11:00 am »
It's a Prius. Nothing more need be said.......

Seriously though, it's been my experience that most Prius owners are guilty of the hate. Hating Harley riders, sports car drivers, etc... Anything that is loud, gas guzzling, or just plain fun.

Again, I said most....

Shakey

Emil

« Reply #13 on: 16 Jun 2017, 11:18 am »
It's a Prius. Nothing more need be said.......

Seriously though, it's been my experience that most Prius owners are guilty of the hate. Hating Harley riders, sports car drivers, etc... Anything that is loud, gas guzzling, or just plain fun.

Again, I said most....

Shakey

Don't you want to save the planet, Shakey? Think of the polar bears.

Believe me, Shakey. I would love  something fun  but the thought of sitting in traffic in my new BMW watching the hybrids drive by was just too much :lol:

The picture I posted above is not far from the truth here on Long island. Actually it's worse.

Emil

« Reply #14 on: 16 Jun 2017, 11:23 am »

......and you guys thought I was kidding :lol:

Doesn't Leonardo Dicaprio drive a Prius...........................on his way to his private jet :icon_lol:

rodge827

« Reply #15 on: 16 Jun 2017, 11:31 am »
I'm officially on record as being an angry pedestrian, too.  :thumb:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
+1

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #16 on: 16 Jun 2017, 11:36 am »
I've had my Prius for over 7 years. For me, it was just a choice driven by economy. Because the car is over 10 years old now my plates cost $70/yr. Insurance runs to about $330/6 mos. of full coverage. My driving accounts for an annual average of 6.8 miles per day or 2,482 miles per year. Since I average exactly 45 mpg, that means I buy 53 gallons of regular gas/yr. Pump price has been hovering at about $2.35/gallon, costing me approximately $125/yr. for fuel in the Prius. I do have another car but it is a 2wd 1997 Tacoma pickup which accounts for about 500 miles/yr. of driving at 28 mpg. costing another $42.
Let's review. Plates for 2 cars = $140. Ins. for 2 cars = about $1150/yr. Fuel for 2 cars = $167/yr. There is only one oil change each year and $0.00 for repairs so far. Total cost of operation for both cars does not exceed $1600.
Prius is just another excellent car from Toyota. Objectively speaking, there is nothing here to hate. The negativity held by many people was all whipped up by our corporate media who abuse their position of influence by shilling for or against people and/or things that they fear might threaten their bottom line. That includes climate change, immigration policy and the Prius. In truth, it is a car that is ideal for most and impractical for some. In fact, it is an inanimate object that may help, but won't hurt, anyone. It's just a car. Hating it makes as much sense as hating digital.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #17 on: 16 Jun 2017, 12:05 pm »
Back when I was still working, I had a boss who often made side remarks about what he referred to constantly as my Obamacar. One day I asked him why he called it that. What connection was he making in his head? He responded by saying that it was just something to say. He really had not made a logical connection - just an association fueled by his idol Bill O. That's the source of the negativity. I doubt anyone but angry JerryM actually hates the Prius..... and I really doubt that he cares very much either.
It's just a car -- but it is one of the best. The times ... they are a changin'.
I would own an electric vehicle if circumstances today made such a choice viable. My Prius has about 115,000 miles on it now.   They routinely provide more than 200,000 trouble free miles. At my rate of use, that means at least 85,000 miles (or 28 years) ahead. Since I am now nearing 70 years old, this Prius will be good for life, especially since I will likely drive less in my dotage.
The next big automotive decision at our house will be around which car to keep when we go to just one vehicle. Truck is more versatile but Prius is far more comfortable and economical. Maybe eventually, I can justify a Bolt or a Tesla. If so, then the oil changes and the fuel costs go away as I drive off of the juice from my solar panels.
Just for fun, do the math on your driving costs and look at whether a Prius might benefit you. I bet it will.
Personally, I am fed up with giant corporations. If I can find ways to give them less of my money, I'm all in.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #18 on: 16 Jun 2017, 12:33 pm »
+1  macrojack

Like you, we have PV solar panels on the house (just got a check for $116 from the utility and a statement saying I'll get another $110 next month).  And like you, I'm retired (wifey is near retirement) and have/will cut way back on the annual miles driven.  Currently have a '12 Camry with 150k miles on it (33 mpg) and a '09 Outback with 160k miles on it (25 mpg) for winter weather and hauling.  Wifey drives the Camry to work, putting about 35k miles/year on it while the Outback usually stays closer to home, about 10k miles/year.  Planning on replacing the Camry first as it approaches 300k miles, but with what? 

I'm a Toyota fan, having owned 5 since '89, based on low operating cost, high reliability, and good dealership.  Am torn between a Corolla (have had 3 Camrys that I like, but smaller family = smaller car needs) and a Prius Prime (with rebate the other Prius's become pointless IMO).  My concern with the Prius is how our projected driving pattern of many 5 miles trips and occasional longer ones would work with battery and engine life.  I can see the engine needing to run once a month and condensation building up in tank if refilled only every 6 months.  And I can see the battery not getting a chance to be properly exercised.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #19 on: 16 Jun 2017, 12:44 pm »
Thanks fellas.
It's definitely not for me, but thanks for the explanation.