dac cherry amp with musica bella lusso preamp

kedoades

dac cherry amp with musica bella lusso preamp
« on: 4 Jun 2017, 01:28 pm »
  Ive had my cherry amp for about a year now and changed my preamp a couple months ago to the musica bella lusso preamp.  The preamp was made By Bill from responce audio.  Both digital amp company and responce audio seem to have the same company goals,  cut the middle man and use that extra money on audio gear that preforms above its cost.  The lusso preamp is packed with premium parts and combined with the dac cherry amp the sound is just amazing.  Very natural and clear with lots of detail.  I love the laid back sound the combo produces.  There is an issue with a slight hum coming from the amp and into the speakers but it isn't audible from a few feet away so not much of a problem.  Tommy said he could help me with it but right now it dosn't bother me.  The preamp took a long time to break in but it seems to keep getting better.  If you are looking for a tube pre to go with your dac amp I would recommend musica bella.  I love my cherry amp and lusso preamp combo,  thanks

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
Re: dac cherry amp with musica bella lusso preamp
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jun 2017, 08:09 pm »
Would you be so kind as to provide a photo?  Thanks for your post.

GregC

« Reply #2 on: 1 Nov 2017, 02:02 am »
  Ive had my cherry amp for about a year now and changed my preamp a couple months ago to the musica bella lusso preamp.  The preamp was made By Bill from responce audio.  Both digital amp company and responce audio seem to have the same company goals,  cut the middle man and use that extra money on audio gear that preforms above its cost.  The lusso preamp is packed with premium parts and combined with the dac cherry amp the sound is just amazing.  Very natural and clear with lots of detail.  I love the laid back sound the combo produces.  There is an issue with a slight hum coming from the amp and into the speakers but it isn't audible from a few feet away so not much of a problem.  Tommy said he could help me with it but right now it dosn't bother me.  The preamp took a long time to break in but it seems to keep getting better.  If you are looking for a tube pre to go with your dac amp I would recommend musica bella.  I love my cherry amp and lusso preamp combo,  thanks

I have cherry amps and I was looking at a Bella preamp and I wondered about their sound and how they would pair with the amps.  Thanks for providing your feedback.  The hum is something that would bother me so if you sort that out I would be curious to learn about the cause.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #3 on: 1 Nov 2017, 04:56 am »
Please try running the amps without an input.  There should be zero hum.  Maybe Bill can send me a preamp to troubleshoot.  Maraschinos are known to eliminate hum because they lock the amp's GND to the preamp's GND.  Did you have hum with your old preamp?   Thanks.

-Tommy O

kedoades

« Reply #4 on: 4 Nov 2017, 05:44 pm »
   If I am remembering correctly, I never had a hum until I changed to the musica bella preamp.  But for some reason the hum is coming from the cherry amp and even if the preamp is turned off it still has a hum sound.  It comes from the amp and I can hear it thru the speakers also.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #5 on: 4 Nov 2017, 08:43 pm »
   If I am remembering correctly, I never had a hum until I changed to the musica bella preamp.  But for some reason the hum is coming from the cherry amp and even if the preamp is turned off it still has a hum sound.  It comes from the amp and I can hear it thru the speakers also.
How about without the preamp (and wire) connected?  I can assure you the amp doesn't generate hum.  Maybe the way grounding is in your system.  Does the preamp have a 3-prong plug?  Any other preamp around for you to try?  Thanks for troubleshooting and reporting results here.

-Tommy O

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #6 on: 4 Nov 2017, 08:57 pm »
With my previous experience with DAC amplifiers, I have no doubt they are dead quiet. I have customers that own them and drive them with Musica Bella preamp and dont have any problems. Should you find that the amp is dead quiet and only have noise with preamp conected, my offer still stands to bring it back and take a look at it for you. We never let a preamp go out the door if it has any noise at all. Have you tried different tubes? What tubes are you running in it.
Let us know. Only want yu to experiece the most the combination has to offer.

LarryD56

« Reply #7 on: 5 Nov 2017, 03:01 am »
I am running a Cherry Ultra with a solid state Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE and it is absolutely dead quiet. I can't get any hum from anywhere, even at full volume there's absolutely nothing! I'm led to believe that there's something outside of the DAC amp that's causing the hum.

Larry D.