new sub and new to measurements

guf

Re: new sub and new to measurements
« Reply #20 on: 18 Jun 2017, 12:22 am »

Sorry I think that happened in the overlay window

guf

« Reply #21 on: 18 Jun 2017, 12:29 am »
The reading about SBIR is really interesting. Do you thing I should rearrange my room to have the speakers up against the front wall?That goes against the the popular the speakers need to breathe idea. I could realisticly sit at 38% and have  all my GIK stuff in front of me. But is a "studio" quality room what I should aiming for?

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #22 on: 18 Jun 2017, 12:39 am »
guf,

I'm going to take a wild guess and state that your Rythmik is probably crossed over at around 50Hz, and probably 24dB/octave since the two response curves you posted are quite similar above 75Hz or so.

Thank you for changing the vertical range although you didn't have to switch it to a 2dB scale, a 5dB scale will suffice given that you are not using smoothing. The horizontal scale needs to be changed so we can actually see frequencies every 10Hz instead of every 50Hz.

Yes, you have SBIR issues. Please read as much as you can about it. It's terribly important imho. I would switch off the Rythmik sub and start moving the Omega's around, while keeping the mic at the listening position or alternatively, move the listening position (i.e. microphone) around. A few inches in front, a few inches back, etc... and see if you can smooth out the area above 100Hz to 300 Hz. You might be able to improve the area from 50-100 Hz as well.

See my other posts for some ideas. And post a few more pictures so we can see the rest of the room. Perhaps there is a better spot for your Omegas.

Best,
Anand.

guf

« Reply #23 on: 18 Jun 2017, 12:41 am »

Sectional sofa and coffee table are no longer here, single love seat and chair.

here is a few old ones from my gallery
« Last Edit: 18 Jun 2017, 01:51 am by guf »

guf

« Reply #24 on: 18 Jun 2017, 12:47 am »
Ugh I can't seem to get the DB scale and the vertical range right at the same time. My sub is/was set to 80.  As i'm typing I am sitting in the front part of my room, about the 40% part, only about 4 feet from the speakers. It sounds different. I guess I could take some measurements. :) after I walk the dog.  Thanks!

guf

« Reply #25 on: 18 Jun 2017, 02:19 am »
heres is a near field front of room. better?

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #26 on: 18 Jun 2017, 02:31 am »
You do have a nice room mode at 35Hz that shows up happily on all the plots. We can address that later, given that there is not much musical content down there. Your 50-200Hz is a bit flatter, and that null between 100-200Hz is definitely more narrow, which is good as it makes it less audible, although an important area for music.

Input your room dimensions here and see what modes are wreaking havoc in your room:

http://amroc.andymel.eu/?l=25&w=8&h=10.5&ft=true&r60=0.6

Best,
Anand.

guf

« Reply #27 on: 18 Jun 2017, 09:16 pm »
so I'm not really sure what I'm seeing, or hearing, with the modes page but its awesome. I'm really enjoying the near field set up.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #28 on: 19 Jun 2017, 04:07 pm »
Nearfield gives you relatively more direct energy than reflected energy.  ie - you're closer to the speakers and farther from the reflections relatively.  To prove the mode at 35 Hz is width, move the mic 1' to the side and see what happens to it. Don't move anything else.  If width, center of the front wall will help. If length (doubtful) middle of the sides will help for sub position.

guf

« Reply #29 on: 20 Jun 2017, 12:29 am »
I am now listening in the front 38% of the room. How to I treat my corners since they are not really 90 degree corners? the 38% listening seat is about the middle of the opening to the right.

today pic instead of old set up

guf

« Reply #30 on: 20 Jun 2017, 12:31 am »
And I have to say this near field thing is the greatest improvement since bass traps.

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #31 on: 20 Jun 2017, 01:25 am »
Like Brian said it gives more of the direct response which is important to achieve in single driver designs. And the measurements prove that SBIR is more minimized in your current setup.

Best,
Anand.