Multi-directional speakers

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
Multi-directional speakers
« on: 17 Apr 2017, 01:04 pm »
Hi folks, for those who don't already know me, I'm AJ from Soundfield Audio, former DIYer turned loudspeaker manufacturer (in you guessed it Florida) around 2010.
In July I will be demoing a cardioid full range loudspeaker with remotely controlled indirect radiation capability, at the Suncoast Audio Society meet (Sun City Center FL)
« Last Edit: 17 Apr 2017, 02:23 pm by AJinFLA »

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
    • Soundfield Audio
Re: Multi-directional speakers
« Reply #1 on: 12 Feb 2020, 01:53 pm »
Thanks to all who came to Fl Expo 2020...and room 613, to hear much of what was described above.
The 1212 Overture is a direct descendant of that 2017 demo design. Although truthfully, the design originated circa 2008.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 12 Feb 2020, 01:55 pm »
Your room sounded great!   :thumb:

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #3 on: 12 Feb 2020, 02:00 pm »
Thanks Jason, appreciate you, Anand and Tom swinging by. Hope you enjoyed the show.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #4 on: 12 Feb 2020, 04:29 pm »
Thanks Jason, appreciate you, Anand and Tom swinging by. Hope you enjoyed the show.

Yup, it was one of the top destinations of the show, especially your 1212 overture model did extremely well. We sat and we listened for several minutes instead of a few seconds!

Best,
Anand.

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #5 on: 12 Feb 2020, 05:00 pm »
Thanks Anand, Jason and Tom are "locals" now, appreciate you making the trip. Unfortunately, my reliever had the flu and could not cover for me to escape to hear all the rooms, though I did get to visit a few on Sunday (big shout out to (Triode) Pete, Gary & Greg/Volti).
Yes, with that many exhibit rooms (more next year!) one does have to move quickly sometimes. These guys only had time to hear the "small" ones unfortunately, but still better than none. https://www.soundstageglobal.com/index.php/shows-events/florida-audio-expo-2020-tampa-usa/914-fae-2020-speakers-part-3
Yes, I wear shorts year round.  :lol:

cheers,

AJ

Saturn94

« Reply #6 on: 12 Feb 2020, 11:46 pm »
Hopefully, one of these years I’ll make it down for the show.  :D

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #7 on: 13 Feb 2020, 03:14 pm »
Hopefully, one of these years I’ll make it down for the show.  :D
Feb in Florida is always nice Jim, c'mon down. There is a beach 2 min from hotel.

cheers,

AJ

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #8 on: 24 Apr 2020, 06:34 pm »
Unfortunately, looks like most audio shows are done for immediate future.
Regarding having > direct radiation capabilities, I want my speakers to have ability to be fed dedicated indirect channels separately, rather than only self generated. To that end, just received an AVR with Auro 3D, so will be interesting trying their approach, vs my long preferred Griesinger/Harman L7 and subsequent variants.

Hope all are staying safe, enjoying lots of music!

cheers,

AJ

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #9 on: 24 Apr 2020, 06:54 pm »
   Very interesting, very interesting indeed.

charles

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #10 on: 24 Apr 2020, 07:17 pm »
Very interesting, very interesting indeed.
All, or anything in particular Charles?
Hope you are keeping well.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #11 on: 24 Apr 2020, 07:23 pm »
All, or anything in particular Charles?
Hope you are keeping well.

Everything. I respect your Engineering skills and progressive thinking. All well thank you. Getting stir crazy like everyone else. Luckily new toys to play with.

charles

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #12 on: 15 Aug 2020, 12:27 am »
Hi Jon,

Since this is a multi-directional speaker
That smaller fully active speaker in the video was more my flavor, but the active version doesn't seem to be listed on your website?
What's the model number and price, etc?
Here is a description with some decent photos (bottom of page) https://www.soundstageglobal.com/index.php/shows-events/florida-audio-expo-2020-tampa-usa/914-fae-2020-speakers-part-3 $3800/pr as shown.
I've held off putting the newer models like this on website until I finish one of my innumerable projects, my new speaker turntable. I want to standardize all posted measurements on the site with my current rig. Hence the delay, sorry.

cheers,

AJ

Jon L

« Reply #13 on: 15 Aug 2020, 05:15 am »
Hi Jon,

Since this is a multi-directional speakerHere is a description with some decent photos (bottom of page) https://www.soundstageglobal.com/index.php/shows-events/florida-audio-expo-2020-tampa-usa/914-fae-2020-speakers-part-3 $3800/pr as shown.

That's quite reasonable for fully-active speakers with cardioid bass.  Other reputable cardioid speakers such as Kii, Dutch & Dutch, or Geithain usually cost way more.  I do believe cardioid bass has some great advantages in typical audiophile rooms over monopole or dipole and wish more speaker companies would incorporate this modality.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #14 on: 15 Aug 2020, 07:22 am »
I'd be interested in hearing a comparison between dipole and cardioid bass, given my understanding that dipole bass is a net zero situation in that the amount of bass energy going into the room completely cancels (with a driver possessing ideal characteristics) whereas cardioid is not quite that. Theoretically, I think, for a given bass level at the listening seat there should be less bass audible outside the room with dipole that with cardioid.
I wonder if anyone hear has made that comparison.

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #15 on: 15 Aug 2020, 10:54 am »
That's quite reasonable for fully-active speakers with cardioid bass.  Other reputable cardioid speakers such as Kii, Dutch & Dutch, or Geithain usually cost way more.
Thanks Jon. Yes. I'm aware of all those, the Geithain alignment/method being the closest to mine. Regarding cost, I'm deliberately using "off the shelf" type active electronics, which attempts to allay some active speaker phobia's, i.e. no custom unobtanium parts if company goes away in future and possibly more importantly, "upgradeable" pieces for the OCD types that believe digital/amplification has "improved" by the minute over the last 30 years or so (but completely disappear in controlled "trust ears/just listen" testing). The downside of course is the "cheapness" of the monetary...excuse me, musical notes emitted by the speakers. No Roon etc fancy business. Connect a source and/or preamp, hit play. Mine does differ from those front plane wave radiators by incorporating "indirect" controlled radiation capability, this being my simplest version, a rear, delayed horn.
I'm working on the speaker turntable again this weekend, so measurements will be forthcoming.
I do believe cardioid bass has some great advantages in typical audiophile rooms over monopole or dipole and wish more speaker companies would incorporate this modality.
I share that belief having made systems with all 3 for over a decade. None are "perfect" but IMO, the cardioid strikes the best balance. ALL benefit from a touch of EQ, but the cardioid has the most immunity, puts 6db less power like dipole, but does not need the mandatory 3' front wall distance for optimal.
https://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=12401
https://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=13120
https://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=17270
Others like you have wondered why also https://www.stereophile.com/content/soundfield-audio

cheers,

AJ

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #16 on: 15 Aug 2020, 12:13 pm »
I'd be interested in hearing a comparison between dipole and cardioid bass, given my understanding that dipole bass is a net zero situation in that the amount of bass energy going into the room completely cancels (with a driver possessing ideal characteristics) whereas cardioid is not quite that. Theoretically, I think, for a given bass level at the listening seat there should be less bass audible outside the room with dipole that with cardioid.
I wonder if anyone hear has made that comparison.
Hi Russell, an open baffle dipole is a net zero room pressure, not energy situation. Cardioids are somewhere between a dipole and a monopole, as you probably know, a correlated combination of them with the same free field response, will yield a cardioid. Yes, like the dipole a (ideal) cardioid radiates 6db less sound power than a monopole, which reduces total energy both inside and outside room. In PA/Large venues they have become popular for just such reason, the rear amplitude SPL suppression can be pointed in the desired direction.

cheers,

AJ