My Scott 222

steinwayjoe

My Scott 222
« on: 4 Apr 2017, 10:35 pm »
Way back in about 2002 I bought a used HH Scott 222 for about $200. I had it fixed up just a bit by Hot Glass Audio (who I now see had some legal issues - yikes!), and he told me: "This unit is a genuine 222, the first made in this series. It is a 15W/Ch amplifier, using an all discrete phono stage. It is also biased very close to class A operation. These are rare characteristics for Scott, and thus this unit is "special", capable of better than average sound."

I'm not sure what people think about Scotts. A friend had a 222D and it just wasn't the same. I remember a few people online being turned off by Mapleshade and their over the top audiophile language about their Scott mods, but I am super happy with my old integrated. I have no doubt others have superior amps/systems, but in my occasional experience at high end stores, I have not found anything else to make me want something else (at least that I can afford). I think what is really helping is my Omega Super 3Rs on Skylan stands. I recently upgraded them to the new RS5 drivers and it is a fantastic upgrade. I'll do a search here for Scott, but if anyone has Scott opinions, let em fly.

Oh, along with the Scott and Omegas I have a MacBook pro as my music server (using iTunes and lossless) with about 1 TB of music, a Schiit Bifrost DAC and a Sansui TU-9500 tuner that I got for free and works really well.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: My Scott 222
« Reply #1 on: 4 Apr 2017, 10:59 pm »
Scott amps have always been held in high regard, and the EL84 tube is very musical.  I'm very familiar with the similar vintage Eico amps using the same tubes also that are also well regarded. Vintage amps can give a lot of bank for the buck, just at a cost of reliability.  One of my main amps is built from a Knight kit KB-85.  About all that remains from the original design is the iron, but that means that the transformers are nearly 60 years old.  However, but the designer, the late Gary Dodd, said it was one of the best sounding amps he had ever built... and I agree.

roscoe65

« Reply #2 on: 4 Apr 2017, 11:02 pm »
Your 222 is a EL84 amp while the 222d is a 6189 amp, an "uprated" tube.

I had an unrestored 222 and loved but sold it off.  It was nice, but IMO the best vintage EL84 amp is the Pilot 232, but it needs a preamp.

Edit:  the gentleman who sold me my Omega Super 3's was using a Scott 222.  It is a really nice combination.

Scott F.

« Reply #3 on: 4 Apr 2017, 11:44 pm »
You hit my soft spot, Scott integrateds. While I've got this great 'audiophile' system with McIntosh and B&Ws, my little 299B and ADS L780s are simply wonderful to listen to. Like you, I rebuilt mine. I replaced all of the caps (including the tone control and RIAA) and some of the critical resistors. She got a little cleaner but retained most of her vintage magic.

The MapleShade hype was just that, hype. But, if you want to listen to a supremely musical system, pick up an old Scott with the 6BQ5 tubes and pair it to a nice set of vintage speakers and you've got a system you won't soon forget. It gets in your blood.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 5 Apr 2017, 12:14 am »
Any photo Steinwayjoe? seems a special unit inside this model serie.

steinwayjoe

« Reply #5 on: 5 Apr 2017, 03:00 am »
Thanks everybody, from your expert and highly knowledgeable responses, it seems that via sheer dumb luck and borderline ignorance I did okay. My knowledge about tube amps is pretty much limited to guitar amps and I have had dozens, but I knew enough that I wanted my music system to also be tube. A guy at a high end audio shop in CT seemed to appreciate me as being a rare non-rich, non-jerk customer and while he set me up with a TV surround system, he told me not to bother with all their pricey 2 channel stuff and to get an old integrated instead (Fisher, Scott...). So I did!

FullRangeMan, I will post some photos soon, but I'm not sure it looks different than a 222A, B or C.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 5 Apr 2017, 03:28 am »
OK Joe, so disregard the photos :green:

steinwayjoe

« Reply #7 on: 8 Apr 2017, 03:46 pm »
OK Joe, so disregard the photos :green:

No, I'll try and get some, problem is we are in a state of chaos with moving and currently owning two houses and only wanting to own one! When things settle I will take detailed photos and post, promise (but it might be weeks).

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 8 Apr 2017, 04:39 pm »
No, I'll try and get some, problem is we are in a state of chaos with moving and currently owning two houses and only wanting to own one! When things settle I will take detailed photos and post, promise (but it might be weeks).
You most kind, I also hate moving, have made several due rent apts.

doorman

« Reply #9 on: 8 Apr 2017, 07:40 pm »
I agree that the Scott 222 int. can be a very satisfying beast , paired with a good source & speakers of course.

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #10 on: 8 Apr 2017, 08:38 pm »
I'm not sure it looks different than a 222A, B or C.

Hmmm. I might be misremembering something here. I thought the 222 and the 222(A) were exactly the same thing and that Scott would only add the (A) to a model if a B, C, D version was marketed. Am
I mistaken?

Cheers,
Lester