New espresso machine

mick wolfe

New espresso machine
« on: 22 Feb 2017, 09:32 pm »
My fairly decent Gaggia Carezza recently died.  Well, the machine itself didn't actually die, but the main power switch did.  The machine was only eight years old, so I thought there'd be no problem finding a replacement power switch. Wrong.....I tried every possible source under the sun with zero success. This would include Gaggia, Wholelattelove , a plethora of online parts houses, plus a local small appliance repair guy.  No luck in any direction. Even my local audio tech came up with a "hotwire" suggestion for the switch. After about a week of frustration, I neatly bagged it up and placed it in my recycle container  just in time for that week's pickup.  So basically I'm ready to move from the sub $500 level to a sub $1K espresso machine. ( no Gaggia's need apply) The machine that keeps popping up in my search is the Rancilio Silvia. The beautiful thing here is that this machine is sold and serviced locally.  So basically before I take the plunge, is there another sub 1K machine that should be considered?

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: New espresso machine
« Reply #1 on: 22 Feb 2017, 11:46 pm »
Hi, mick.

I'm afraid I'm not going to be much help offering suggestions in the sub-$1k level - other than the Silvia. I've owned a Silvia III for a few years now and I'm pretty content with it. It's not perfect, but it does everything I want and it has proved very reliable.

I had actually considered buying a Gaggia Classic (a step down, I know) for my home in Taiwan. I very nearly bought one, but in the end didn't want to part with my Sylvia, so I had a closed cell foam cocoon made for it; placed it in checked luggage and brought it to Taiwan with me just 2 days ago. I brought my Rancilio Rocky (doserless) in my carry on luggage. Everything is fine and working properly. US Customs was nice enough to pry open part of the top plate to look inside resulting in a warp that I smoothed out with needle nosed pliers. I suppose they're pressed for time, but a powered philips screwdriver could have popped the plate off in seconds. [Thanks Customs guys.]

Enjoy your search, but I can't say enough good things about the Sylvia - especially since my unit was a refurbished unit that I picked up for $549!  8)

Michael

avta

« Reply #2 on: 23 Feb 2017, 12:25 am »
Where do you live Mick ?

borism

« Reply #3 on: 23 Feb 2017, 01:48 am »
I am a Gaggia Classic guy and am on my third machine in ~ 20 years. They are actually very sturdy and easy to work on if needed. I agree that they are probably a step below the Sylvia but even that machine has its' issues.

What I have done recently is install a PID temperature controller (the Sylvia benefits from that also), adjusted the OPV from factory set 13 bars to about 10 and got some IMS shower head and filter basket. This has resulted in tremendous performance improvements. Given that it is a relatively inexpensive machine to begin with the total expense is still quite below the Sylvia.

Just an additional viewpoint. :)

Philistine

« Reply #4 on: 23 Feb 2017, 01:50 am »
I had a Silvia for years and thoroughly recommend it, but it does need a PID as the boiler temperature is all over the place - you might be able to buy one from a vendor that has on pre-fitted.  If not you can retrofit it yourself, a thread I posted on my upgrade journey has the link.  Having a consistent brew temperature to get a good extraction.

witchdoctor

« Reply #5 on: 23 Feb 2017, 02:50 am »
I like the Starbucks Verismo machine

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #6 on: 23 Feb 2017, 03:03 am »
Hi, Philistine.

I remember your mentioning that boiler issue, and I've read of it elsewhere. I'm interested in giving it a try. Is it a pretty simple DIY upgrade, or should I exercise caution and pay a shop to perform the upgrade?

Regards,

Michael

fex02

« Reply #7 on: 23 Feb 2017, 11:05 am »
I have had 3 good machines in the last 30 years.The latest a Wega.list 2400, but, got it for 1450.
5 years no problem.
Fortuna-coffeeshopsolutions.com makes an organic espresso that is to die for.18 grams-26 second pour and heaven comes to earth.
Nasi- the roaster makes me a custom coffee that is also to die for.Its called Francis blend.Its great in a french press!
Glad to find other coffee guys !

Philistine

« Reply #8 on: 23 Feb 2017, 02:19 pm »
Hi, Philistine.

I remember your mentioning that boiler issue, and I've read of it elsewhere. I'm interested in giving it a try. Is it a pretty simple DIY upgrade, or should I exercise caution and pay a shop to perform the upgrade?

Regards,

Michael

The instructions that you get from Auber Instruments are very clear and easy to understand, step by step instructions.  I'm wiring dyslexic but did it easily, I took photos and labeled the wires as a precaution, but didn't need them.  Auber send a disc with all the instructions and photos for each step.  It is a significant step up in performance....

borism

« Reply #9 on: 23 Feb 2017, 03:44 pm »
Similarly, I followed Philistine's Auber recommendation and installed the PID kit in the Gaggia. As long as one can follow instructions, it is very easy.

mick wolfe

« Reply #10 on: 23 Feb 2017, 04:15 pm »
Where do you live Mick ?

I'm in Tucson AZ.  Actually found a local commercial sales and service outfit that sells the Rancilio. So that alone amped my interest.

guf

« Reply #11 on: 23 Feb 2017, 04:31 pm »
For me, the good thing about buying over priced audio equipment for years makes purchasing other overpriced, but quality equipment easier. People have no problem spending thousands of dollars on speakers or amps or dacs or whatever . But when it comes to espresso machines or grinders its harder to spend that kind of money.

I used a PID'd Silvia for years with a rocky grinder. With excellent results. I was very happy. Then I upgraded to the Mazzer Mini grinder. I was embarrassed to tell people I spent 600$ on a grinder but the differences were not subtle as they say in the audio world. After 5 years I wanted something else. I knew I wanted the best. I searched every day on Craigslist for a LaMarzocco GS3 with a paddle. Eventually found one (after 15 months) for 4200$. Every time I walk into my espresso room I smile and I am grateful.  I use my machine everyday, multiply times a day. Sadly more than my audio rig. I soon upgraded the grinder to a Compak c-10. I have a professional high end cafe style set up that is SO overkill. But I can tell you that it was maybe the best purchase I have ever made. I never think about upgrading, very different than our hobby here. You can apply the diminishing returns theory here, or  ask is my espresso 10x better now than with my old set up? No, but I don't care. Every time I turn it on I get predictable results.

I would suggest spending more than you feel comfortable with. I would only look in the dual boiler machine range of 1800-2300 dollars. Rocket, and the Alex Duetto were the popular machines when i was in the market. AND budget for a great grinder. You will get much better results with a 1000 grinder and a 500$ machine than you will with A 2000$ machine and 200$ grinder.
« Last Edit: 24 Feb 2017, 01:56 am by guf »

PeterC

« Reply #12 on: 23 Feb 2017, 05:42 pm »

Check out the Nuova Simonelli Oscar II, it is a little over your budget (listed for $1295) but most places will give a discount for a first time buyer.  It's a heat exchanger machine so you do not have the boiler temperature problem. 
I do not own one, but during my search for an espresso machine I read good reviews on this machine. 

kenreau

« Reply #13 on: 23 Feb 2017, 07:06 pm »
For easy of use and variety of coffee styles (not strictly for espresso), we picked up a Jura for around $1K.  Costco has carried them on/off over the past year as well.

Kenreau

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #14 on: 23 Feb 2017, 07:26 pm »
Check out the Nuova Simonelli Oscar II, it is a little over your budget (listed for $1295) but most places will give a discount for a first time buyer.  It's a heat exchanger machine so you do not have the boiler temperature problem. 
I do not own one, but during my search for an espresso machine I read good reviews on this machine.
Have one...and love it. Its my daily drivers, excellent espresso and steam power.
Highly recommended.

What do you have for a grinder?

A $500 machine with a $500 grinder will produce far better espresso than a $1200 machine and a $50 grinder.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #15 on: 23 Feb 2017, 07:27 pm »
For a low tech solution, I use a KitchenAid bur grinder (amazing piece of kit) and an Aeropress.  It's not espresso, but it is quite excellent.  And yes, I a very much a coffee snob (even roasted my own beans for a while).  Love the Aeropress because it's low tech, cleans up easy, takes up zero counter space and produces an excellent cup every single time.  Oh, and it's cheap.  Like $30 from Amazon cheap. 

Burr Grinder, $385 - https://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-Coffee-Grinder-SILVER-KCG070CU/dp/B01LX78WFV/ref=sr_1_11?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1487878141&sr=1-11&keywords=kitchenaid+burr+grinder

Aeropress - https://www.amazon.com/Aeropress-Coffee-and-Espresso-Maker/dp/B0047BIWSK/ref=sr_1_4?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1487878220&sr=1-4&keywords=aeropress

ketcham

• Industry Participant
« Reply #16 on: 23 Feb 2017, 07:32 pm »
Something to consider in addition to an excellent grinder is variable pressure profiling.  This extracts different components and I find no bitterness and no jitterness.  You can make the espresso taste smooth and rich as butter.  No sweeteners necessary.  Rocket makes one.  But Whole Latte Love has other Italian brands as good or better than Rocket.

roscoeiii

« Reply #17 on: 23 Feb 2017, 09:26 pm »
For a low tech solution, I use a KitchenAid bur grinder (amazing piece of kit) and an Aeropress.  It's not espresso, but it is quite excellent.  And yes, I a very much a coffee snob (even roasted my own beans for a while).  Love the Aeropress because it's low tech, cleans up easy, takes up zero counter space and produces an excellent cup every single time.  Oh, and it's cheap.  Like $30 from Amazon cheap. 

Burr Grinder, $385 - https://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-Coffee-Grinder-SILVER-KCG070CU/dp/B01LX78WFV/ref=sr_1_11?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1487878141&sr=1-11&keywords=kitchenaid+burr+grinder

Aeropress - https://www.amazon.com/Aeropress-Coffee-and-Espresso-Maker/dp/B0047BIWSK/ref=sr_1_4?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1487878220&sr=1-4&keywords=aeropress

+1 on both the KitcheAid grinder in that link and the Aeropress. I keep an Aeropress at my girlfriend's apt and use the KitchenAid grinder at home.

Why did I choose that grinder? It is very capable at both espresso size grinds and the boulder-sized grind that is best for French press. Many grinders can do one but not the other. Also, big plus for the glass bean and grind holders. Plastic ones get quite nasty looking after some use.

ton1313

« Reply #18 on: 24 Feb 2017, 01:08 am »
 Second on the Jura. 1stincoffee.com  cells factory refurbished units with the one-year warranty from the factory for really good price. Have not had any trouble with ours and I have been running for years. Once you get one they are very addictive!  :thumb:

We have a Z7  and paid about a grand two years ago.

Philistine

« Reply #19 on: 24 Feb 2017, 01:08 am »
I have an Aeropress for my regular coffee, and use a Rancilio Rocky grinder - the grinder is less critical with an Aeropress.  All the posters with espresso machines nail it when they claim the money should go on the grinder, it took me a long time to digest and buy into this concept but, unfortunately for my wallet, it's a fact - the grind has to be uniformly consistent.  If you don't want espresso/cappuccino then the Aeropress/cheap grinder is a great solution, if you want excellent espresso/cappuccino then you just have to bend over  :o