Horn Loudspeakers

fredgarvin

Re: Horn Loudspeakers
« Reply #60 on: 13 Jul 2017, 03:44 pm »
Consider me in the horn camp for now. Any 20 yo Klipsch model can be cheaply upgraded and modified to get excellent sound. They are the perfect mate with low powered amplification. IMO, most people have never really listened to horns because smaller speakers with smaller footprints became the center of attention by manufacturers for various reasons. The dynamic, emotive sound that is like real music is captivating and for many listeners more important than having the best ' imaging' or other audiophile grails.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #61 on: 13 Jul 2017, 04:06 pm »
The dynamic, live sound is captivating and for many of us more important than having the best ' imaging'...

I wouldn't say one is more important than the other. I will say that if one is fortunate to have them both, there is no turning back. However, I will agree with the underlying assertion that most audiophile speakers, especially those that use convention drivers (including stats and plannars) compress the dynamics to the point of sucking the life out of the music.

Emil

« Reply #62 on: 13 Jul 2017, 04:10 pm »
Woody -

My horns were made by Bill Woods of Hastings, Ontario. He had a company called Acoustic Horn. The ones I have were offered as the AH300. Mine are cherry but he offered them in a variety of solid woods. The mouth is 18 inches and the throats are 2 inch. The aluminum part is cast and powder coated and custom machined to mate with your predesignated compression driver. I chose to use B&C DCX 50.

Macrojack

I had the B&C and replaced them with these:
https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/171108-bms-4592-mid-1050/

Found the B&C on the "warm" side compared to BMS

Consider them if you have the scratch

fredgarvin

« Reply #63 on: 13 Jul 2017, 04:34 pm »
I wouldn't say one is more important than the other. I will say that if one is fortunate to have them both, there is no turning back. However, I will agree with the underlying assertion that most audiophile speakers, especially those that use convention drivers (including stats and plannars) compress the dynamics to the point of sucking the life out of the music.

Agree with that sentiment. I have pretty good imaging from my Quartets with a little toe in and the right distance from the wall, but not as good as my planars. Otherwise, they are much more engaging.

shooter

« Reply #64 on: 13 Jul 2017, 05:55 pm »
Alignment for horns are much more critical than other types of speakers, I use laser to align mine and have help couple of my friends to align their as well, after alignment the speakers just disappear and instruments float in space the improvement are readily audible and at some instances drastic.