My 365 Days Photo Project 2017.

SET Man

My 365 Days Photo Project 2017.
« on: 24 Jan 2017, 03:28 am »
Hey!

365 Days Photo Project 2017 by Badeephol Inpirom, on Flickr

And so it begins!

I've been fascinated by the 365 Days Photo Project for sometime now and admire those who actually manage to finished it. This year 2017 I decided to finally dabble myself in "365 Days Photo Project" I wanted to do this last year but I somehow forgot to take picture on the 1st. So, I waited a year and here I am in 2017.

I'm doing this with a twist. Since I still like to use film. I will be doing this on 35mm film, all in B&W, with one camera and a single 50mm f1.7 with yellow filter. My choice of film is Kodak Tri-X rated/push 1 stop at ISO 800. I decided to push Tri-X to ISO 800 so it would be more versatile in lowlight and indoor shots. Camera is my Minolta Maxxum 7 I bought back in 2001, this is an AF camera, it got built in flash just in case and also the shutter goes up to 1/8000 sec of which can come in handy with Tri-X at ISO 800 in bright light. Lens is a Minolta AF 50mm f1.7 with Hoya K2 yellow filter.

Also, I'll be limiting myself to one frame, one shot a day. With 36 exposure per roll each frame number will correspond to the date of the month. There will be no do over on this. There are some problems that could come with this. First one is, if I accidentally press the shutter again after I took the photo of the day than that would ruin the frames order for that month. Also, there will be time that someone run into my picture and also what if I see something I like after I already took the photo of the day shot? Well, I guess I can't take another picture than. Or somehow I could screw up the exposure. And I won't get to see the photos until the end of the month. Also, there's no date stamp on film like with exif data on digital so you all have to trust me on this.

I'll be carrying this camera with me for the whole year. And I'll have to make room in my camera bag for this when I travel also, this could be tough to do. I hope that I will complete this and let's see if I'll ended up with 365 boring photos at the end of the year.

OK, stay tuned and wish me luck!

Take care,
Buddy  :thumb:

Early B.

Re: My 365 Days Photo Project 2017.
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jan 2017, 03:49 am »
  And so it begins!

I've been fascinated by the 365 Days Photo Project for sometime now and admire those who actually manage to finished it. This year 2017 I decided to finally dabble myself in "365 Days Photo Project" I wanted to do this last year but I somehow forgot to take picture on the 1st. So, I waited a year and here I am in 2017.

I'm doing this with a twist. Since I still like to use film. I will be doing this on 35mm film, all in B&W, with one camera and a single 50mm f1.7 with yellow filter. My choice of film is Kodak Tri-X rated/push 1 stop at ISO 800. I decided to push Tri-X to ISO 800 so it would be more versatile in lowlight and indoor shots. Camera is my Minolta Maxxum 7 I bought back in 2001, this is an AF camera, it got built in flash just in case and also the shutter goes up to 1/8000 sec of which can come in handy with Tri-X at ISO 800 in bright light. Lens is a Minolta AF 50mm f1.7 with Hoya K2 yellow filter.

Also, I'll be limiting myself to one frame, one shot a day. With 36 exposure per roll each frame number will correspond to the date of the month. There will be no do over on this. There are some problems that could come with this. First one is, if I accidentally press the shutter again after I took the photo of the day than that would ruin the frames order for that month. Also, there will be time that someone run into my picture and also what if I see something I like after I already took the photo of the day shot? Well, I guess I can't take another picture than. Or somehow I could screw up the exposure. And I won't get to see the photos until the end of the month. Also, there's no date stamp on film like with exif data on digital so you all have to trust me on this.

I'll be carrying this camera with me for the whole year. And I'll have to make room in my camera bag for this when I travel also, this could be tough to do. I hope that I will complete this and let's see if I'll ended up with 365 boring photos at the end of the year.

OK, stay tuned and wish me luck!

Great idea! I understand what you're trying to do, but don't limit yourself with the "one shot a day" thing. If you see another shot, take it.

charmerci

« Reply #2 on: 24 Jan 2017, 07:49 am »
Oy! That's going to be tough. Good luck!

Great idea! I understand what you're trying to do, but don't limit yourself with the "one shot a day" thing. If you see another shot, take it.

Or you also carry around a small digital camera with you. Ansel Adams carried around a Polaroid instant camera and took preliminary shots.

SET Man

« Reply #3 on: 25 Jan 2017, 03:09 am »

Oy! That's going to be tough. Good luck!

Or you also carry around a small digital camera with you. Ansel Adams carried around a Polaroid instant camera and took preliminary shots.

Hey!

By "one shot a day" I don't mean I can only take one photo per day. I still can take as many pictures as I want, just not with this camera for this project of which I can only take one per day so the frame number will corresponds to the date of the month. And I do have my iPhone 5s with me all the time.

My usual work days usual goes like this... I wake up, I go to work, I get home, I go to sleep and start all over again the next day. I do go out walk around on my days off with my camera sometime. But this project kinda forces me to do, think and see thing differently beyond my day to day basis. So, far I learned that instead of trying to just getting home fast after work, I would find myself looking around more of my surrounding and noticed things that I haven't notice before even though I walk that same way for years after and before work. Also, sometime I would goes off beyond my normal route just to see what out there. This is what I notice happening to me since I started doing this, which is pretty nice.

Anyway, I won't see my first roll of January until early next month. I'm excited about the first roll and after that just 11 months and 11 rolls to go!

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

stlrman

« Reply #4 on: 25 Jan 2017, 03:21 am »
Sounds good! Good luck !
Are you going to post them on a blog so you can share them ?

charmerci

« Reply #5 on: 25 Jan 2017, 12:49 pm »

My usual work days usual goes like this... I wake up, I go to work, I get home, I go to sleep and start all over again the next day. I do go out walk around on my days off with my camera sometime.

So you're saying there's going to be a lot of shots of your dashboard, front door, ......  :lol:

SET Man

« Reply #6 on: 27 Jan 2017, 02:16 am »
Sounds good! Good luck !
Are you going to post them on a blog so you can share them ?

Hey!

Yes, I will put them up on my Flickr. January is almost over, I should have my January roll done sometime early next month  :D

So you're saying there's going to be a lot of shots of your dashboard, front door, ......  :lol:

I hope not!  :lol: I know it will be harder as I go into the year. I know it will take more effort later on to get out of my regular routine and look for picture. But than again a doorknob and dashboard can be interesting  :wink:

Take care

JakeJ

« Reply #7 on: 27 Jan 2017, 03:47 am »
This is so cool, Buddy!  Thanks for sharing.  Best of luck and congrats in advance as it won't be easy but well worth the effort.

Have a great 2017,
JakeJ

SET Man

« Reply #8 on: 17 Feb 2017, 01:41 am »
Hey!
365 Day Photo Project. January 2017 Contact Sheet. by Badeephol Inpirom, on Flickr

So, I've completed the first roll of film for January 2017. I'll be making contact sheet for each month like above and the frame number corresponds to the date of the month.

It had been one interesting month, carrying around the same camera pretty much everyday and take only one shot with it was interesting. Looking at those pictures, I feel some of those pictures didn't translated well on film than I though they would have.  :?

Is was fun. Although on some days it felt like it is becoming a chore doing this  :icon_lol: But this forces me to be more aware of my surrounding constantly looking for picture opportunity. And because of that I noticed things that I haven't notice before even though I walked that same way for years, and that's a good thing about this. :D

Here's the link to my Flickr to see the rest of the month, I wrote a short description for most of them also and you can see them if you look at them one by one ....

https://flic.kr/s/aHskNkK9wE

Anyway, let's see what February will turn out.   :wink:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

PeteG

« Reply #9 on: 17 Feb 2017, 01:45 am »
Awesome Buddy  :thumb:

md92468

« Reply #10 on: 17 Feb 2017, 01:52 am »
Nice - this one of the most important exercises you can do because it builds the habit of shooting and observing every day. People usually fuss far too much over technique at the expense of logging the hours that will teach them things you really need to know to get better – how to be in the right place at the right time, how to build relationships that can lead you to gaining access to people and locations (and emotional states) from which you would otherwise be shut out, how to build your anticipation muscles so you can see moments evolving before you and react quickly to them...those are the skills you can building doing exercises like this, and in the end these are the skills that will make your work strong, unique and personal (which is what really matters). Yes, technical skills matter. Learn them so you can get them out of the way & do the real work. A little luck helps, too. ;)

Keep it going man...you'll have a nice little collection there after 365...
« Last Edit: 17 Feb 2017, 03:44 am by md92468 »

JakeJ

« Reply #11 on: 17 Feb 2017, 02:45 am »
Awesome, Buddy!  Those are some great shots.  It may be hard work but I think it will become easier and more second nature as the year progresses.  And you never know this may lead to some secondary income.

Jake

Folsom

« Reply #12 on: 17 Feb 2017, 02:57 am »
Awesome! Best of luck with all your photos, it'll be an achievement for sure.

drphoto

« Reply #13 on: 17 Feb 2017, 03:40 am »
Wow Buddy, such a great idea and ambitious project. My business partner suggested we do something similar but we we're limiting to one a week....but we're sort of lazy. Plus we'd use digital cam and whatever else we have available.

Looks like you're off to a solid start. I really like the abstract stuff toward the end of the roll. Really solid work. Rock on brother.

SET Man

« Reply #14 on: 6 Mar 2017, 12:13 am »
Awesome Buddy  :thumb:

Nice - this one of the most important exercises you can do because it builds the habit of shooting and observing every day. People usually fuss far too much over technique at the expense of logging the hours that will teach them things you really need to know to get better – how to be in the right place at the right time, how to build relationships that can lead you to gaining access to people and locations (and emotional states) from which you would otherwise be shut out, how to build your anticipation muscles so you can see moments evolving before you and react quickly to them...those are the skills you can building doing exercises like this, and in the end these are the skills that will make your work strong, unique and personal (which is what really matters). Yes, technical skills matter. Learn them so you can get them out of the way & do the real work. A little luck helps, too. ;)

Keep it going man...you'll have a nice little collection there after 365...

Awesome! Best of luck with all your photos, it'll be an achievement for sure.

Thanks guys.

Awesome, Buddy!  Those are some great shots.  It may be hard work but I think it will become easier and more second nature as the year progresses.  And you never know this may lead to some secondary income.

Jake

Thanks Jake, but I don't think I will make any money with this project though. But it is fun and it is something I look forward to at the end of each month.

Wow Buddy, such a great idea and ambitious project. My business partner suggested we do something similar but we we're limiting to one a week....but we're sort of lazy. Plus we'd use digital cam and whatever else we have available.

Looks like you're off to a solid start. I really like the abstract stuff toward the end of the roll. Really solid work. Rock on brother.

I should have done the 52 Weeks Project instead, think of the films I'd have saved! And not having to carry that camera around every day  :lol:

Well, I was thinking of doing it with digital camera and pick one good shot at the end of the day. But I just can't help thinking about the idea of one shot per day and the frame numbers on contact sheet matching the date like a calendar. And also how many photo I'll ended liking at the end of month.

Take care,
Buddy

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #15 on: 6 Mar 2017, 12:45 am »
Cool Buddy ! Missed this till now somehow. Grand project, but you are the man for the job.  :thumb:  As expected, nice pics, will be awaiting future posts.   8)

SET Man

« Reply #16 on: 6 Mar 2017, 12:46 am »
Hey!

365 Day Photo Project. February 2017 Contact Sheet. by Badeephol Inpirom, on Flickr

Guys February was a short month with only 28 days I got to see my pictures faster. So, what happened the second month into my 365 Days Photo Project? Well, I kindna got used to carry my dedicated project camera with me pretty much everywhere. Yes, I sometime have to carry it along with another camera that I would use for that day's out.

As before my eyes would wandering around looking for something interesting to take pictures of. Also, this project got me to do something that I haven't done in years, a double exposure, of which I did for Groundhog Day. It was fun and since it was at the beginning of the month so I had to wait to see if it turn out fine. Well, I should have done more exposure. Man! What was I thinking with the ceiling lamp pic? And I got two picture of building doors this month, I have to admit that there are so many doors in NYC and I do find them interesting.

Here's link to my 365 album...

https://flic.kr/s/aHskNkK9wE

Well, working on March now. :D

Take care,

stlrman

« Reply #17 on: 6 Mar 2017, 01:12 am »
Fantastic images !!! :thumb:

JakeJ

« Reply #18 on: 6 Mar 2017, 01:59 am »