Teo Audio Liquid metal cables

sandbagger

Re: Teo Audio Liquid metal cables
« Reply #60 on: 21 Feb 2017, 12:20 am »
Pete

Give me a shout when you get them I would LOVE to give them a listen

I'm going to order a pair and I'll let you guys know how they fare. I have Cerious graphene extreme, Morrow MA-5's and Audio Magic Triniums to compare to. A diverse set of topologies and none in the uber expensive layer.

KHotte

• Industry Participant
« Reply #61 on: 21 Feb 2017, 01:02 am »
What???

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_law
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/scientific-law
http://blog.ed.ted.com/2016/06/07/whats-the-difference-between-a-scientific-law-and-theory-in-ted-ed-gifs/

If Teo ends up with it's own circle, we can have that discussion, which is sometimes a bit heated until understanding arises as to what one truly means and is trying to say. I won't even hint, as that brings the whole thing on. So, I'm willing to speak on what I mean, but this is not the time and place and frankly, I should have not brought it up.

However, the liquid metal's behaviour, under loading, in this case electrical differential...straddles the line between Newtonian and quantum behaviour. Dynamically, continuously, in real time.

And we cannot yet reconcile Quantum and relativistic/Newtonian considerations.  Yet the cable straddles the line, a shifty leg in each camp. It is a messy conversation, at best.

This means cast about laws... and cast about theories.... meet head on.... in a full on cage fight. ("the first rule about liquid metal cable fight club is....")

Earlier on I spoke about the review from six moons and Srajan. I spoke with him on the 'why' of the cable... and the why is to challenge orthodoxy. To give orthodoxy and electrical function and transmission line considerations, electrical considerations period.. the engineering aspects, laws and numbers...to give them grief. Big time. To plant a big living fluffy unicorn right in the center of their space. To make such mentality...think. Think new, think of the more complex why behind the scenario. To refine. and alter, change where needed to make the new work as well. Which, in the end, can only be better for audio.

And that's a big and possibly ugly conversation. So it cannot go on here (in this thread) and we certainly could not deal with it just as it was coming into being, back when he did the review. Srajan was perfectly willing to go for it, but we asked him not to.
« Last Edit: 22 Feb 2017, 12:27 am by KHotte »

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #62 on: 21 Feb 2017, 01:30 am »
Interesting, how do you handle the highly corrosive nature and limited shelf life of gallium alloys.

KHotte

• Industry Participant
« Reply #63 on: 21 Feb 2017, 01:48 am »
Interesting, how do you handle the highly corrosive nature and limited shelf life of gallium alloys.

The gallium is corrosive on it's own, to aluminum. Which is why it has a hazmat designation. Strictly due to the aluminum frame/body aspect of aircraft. Transportation aircraft. Geratherm managed to get a status change for this form of gallium based alloy as a tri-eutectic is considered to be non reactive (molecularly bonded and more neutral), in comparison to the pure gallium. Gallium is hazmat, The tri-eutectic is not. For example, the fluid mix is used to activate and control some medical instruments inside of the human body, for operating and so on. It is also considered the safe replacement for mercury thermometers (geratherm corporation).

Underneath most North American kitchen sinks or in their laundry rooms, is a far more hazardous area than a few of these cables....by a factor that is high enough to not bother calculating. Basically the undersink chemical stew can easily kill many times over, the cables in one's possession cannot.

Clean up is Windex and a paper towel.
« Last Edit: 24 Feb 2017, 04:01 pm by KHotte »

MttBsh

« Reply #64 on: 21 Feb 2017, 05:16 am »
Could you please speak to your product line and associated pricing?
In a Darko review of Teo Audio Liquid metal cables I see Splash, Silver Splash, and Splash Reference Interconnects; at the Cable Company I see Standard MK II, PDL MK II, Super PDL, etc. The least expensive pair is $1,600, yet the Audiogon ad below list a pair for $500
https://www.audiogon.com/listings/interconnects-teo-audio-gc-1m-different-physics-math-different-result-2017-02-20-cables-k7l-4v1
I get the impression that these cables are of very high quality, but if the technology is confusing, I find the product line and pricing even more so. I would appreciate any clarity you can provide.

sfox7076

« Reply #65 on: 21 Feb 2017, 12:09 pm »
Are they shielded?  Are they exposed to EMI/RFI?  I have some interest in these as I have had some EMI/RFi issues in the past. 

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #66 on: 21 Feb 2017, 03:03 pm »

Could you please speak to your product line and associated pricing?

I would appreciate any clarity you can provide.

+1

KHotte

• Industry Participant
« Reply #67 on: 22 Feb 2017, 12:34 am »
Are they shielded?  Are they exposed to EMI/RFI?  I have some interest in these as I have had some EMI/RFi issues in the past.

They have no shielding of any kind. Except that of the digital cables. They have a custom designed unique system to deal with shield/ground issues. Something we had to create, something that did not exist before.

Unique challenges require unique solutions. Not always, but at least in this case. Besides, it makes for a cool sounding catchphrase. If one has a problem that is old in type but couched in a new scenario, then reaching for the comfortable hammer for known nails, may not be the smartest thing to do. so, slow it down, and think.. Thus a new solution for a new situation that merely looks like an old scenario.

« Last Edit: 22 Feb 2017, 04:05 pm by KHotte »

KHotte

• Industry Participant
« Reply #68 on: 22 Feb 2017, 04:22 pm »
For example, to show that it is not an old scenario, that we can do away with the standard effects, the effects we know, in one named phenomena. A phenomena that even has a 'law' associated with it.

Lenz law. We take the copper tube, and drop the magnet down it ...and it drops slowly, not quickly.

This does not work when dealing with a electromagnetically sensitive molecular fluid, like a liquid metal.

The individual molecules are not locked together, and can re-orient themselves and also flow/move. You could even buy an older video card that had a liquid cooling system of a similar nature that included a pump to transfer fluid and heat through a closed loop.

The magnet drops through as if the tube of liquid metal was 'almost' not there. (residual mass-motion concerns make it so that the magnet does 'not quite' drop at free fall speeds)

Suddenly the thing involves a whole swath of math that touches on areas that never see the light of day in day to day electrical concerns, even at the university engineering level for the most part.

One ends up with observably different behaviour, tied to a very complex mathematical set that crosses the cutting edge in multiple fields, all at the same time.

We go from simple seeming signal transfer, into areas of science and physics that are only beginning to be flushed out and on into near unnamed unknowns.

All packed into what looks like...an audio cable. Imagine that. Hmm.

So, we look at this, new behaviour in a new medium - with an old signal pattern, and say, "well, shielding may have to be approached differently."

The mirror of the new problem, says that the common knowledge of what shielding is and how it is used, specifically with respect to audio, may have areas of concern that most do not know of, or address. looking at the new phenomena with new issues and new solves, may illustrate that other 'knowns' are not really as they might appear to be. New knowledge, new solutions, and a review of the old from the new science goggles.

Thus, very simply, no laws in science as it exists at the edge of it's method and ways.. only theory... as they ('laws') can be misapplied hammers to improperly cognated nails. Every university professor and department head in the field of physics that I've ever met - expects this from themselves and their students.

Don_S

« Reply #69 on: 22 Feb 2017, 04:58 pm »
One picture (listen) is worth 10,000 words.

KHotte

• Industry Participant
« Reply #70 on: 22 Feb 2017, 05:42 pm »
One picture (listen) is worth 10,000 words.

I felt I owed JRace an answer. After rumination, I thought I found and elegant way to say it, without raising ire.

The idea of scientific laws can be misapplied. Outside of day to day engineering and common Newtonian worlds, laws revert back to being what they are. Theories. As all exploratory scientists and theorists are taught.

Don_S

« Reply #71 on: 22 Feb 2017, 06:14 pm »
I felt I owed JRace an answer. After rumination, I thought I found and elegant way to say it, without raising ire.

The idea of scientific laws can be misapplied. Outside of day to day engineering and common Newtonian worlds, laws revert back to being what they are. Theories. As all exploratory scientists and theorists are taught.

Ken,

You really missed my point. You can post until this thread is 100 pages long and I still won't understand what you are trying to tell me. And frankly, I don't care about the technology.  I have read too many white papers that "sounded" better than the cables they were touting. The proof is in the listening.  Put something on tour.

Phil A

« Reply #72 on: 22 Feb 2017, 07:04 pm »
Ken,

You really missed my point. You can post until this thread is 100 pages long and I still won't understand what you are trying to tell me. And frankly, I don't care about the technology.  I have read too many white papers that "sounded" better than the cables they were touting. The proof is in the listening.  Put something on tour.

+1 as I have asked a couple of times.  The OP doesn't seem to want to, which is his business, but I personally really don't understand unless there is some concern as to whether things people already have are better.

KHotte

• Industry Participant
« Reply #73 on: 23 Feb 2017, 07:32 pm »
Pete

Give me a shout when you get them I would LOVE to give them a listen

If this Pete you speak of, is the one that I think you do, I expect his cable to go out the door today.

sfox7076

« Reply #74 on: 23 Feb 2017, 11:25 pm »
Interested to hear his thoughts. 

Big Red Machine

« Reply #75 on: 27 Feb 2017, 09:05 pm »
I really hate to do this to you guys. I've had these for 30 minutes and I have to run to the airport for a flight. I did get some quickie sampling of some songs in a 30 minute window. No warm-up of anything. I wrote up 5 pages the last few days on the other 3 cables I have here for testing. I'll add in my comments on these cables this weekend and then publish in the Path of Least Resistance section.

Let me leave you with this .........................Holy Shit!!!!

Don_S

« Reply #76 on: 27 Feb 2017, 09:10 pm »
I really hate to do this to you guys. I've had these for 30 minutes and I have to run to the airport for a flight. I did get some quickie sampling of some songs in a 30 minute window. No warm-up of anything. I wrote up 5 pages the last few days on the other 3 cables I have here for testing. I'll add in my comments on these cables this weekend and then publish in the Path of Least Resistance section.

Let me leave you with this .........................Holy Shit!!!!

May your return flight have a strong tailwind.

sfox7076

« Reply #77 on: 27 Feb 2017, 09:11 pm »
So is that good or bad excrement?

KHotte

• Industry Participant
« Reply #78 on: 6 Mar 2017, 03:02 am »
The above board member (big red machine) has reviewed the Teo Audio GC RCA cable in context, against 3 other cables. The thread may be found here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=148932.0

misterclean

« Reply #79 on: 6 Mar 2017, 03:52 am »

Excellent report! I ordered a pair on Thursday and eagerly anticipate trying them. Like Pete, I have tried a boatload of high end cables and look forward to seeing how the Teo GCs compare. I am running a Line Magnetic 508ia integrated with a Lampizator Atlantic DAC and Daedalus Ulysses speakers. I've been pretty happy with the Cerious Graphene interconnects (and happier still with their power cords and speaker cables), but with Teo Audio's generous return policy, why not give them a shot?

I'll chime in once I get them and have a chance to give them a fair hearing.