Good source for balanced toroidal transformer? Hammond, Avel Lindberg?

undertow

Okay I have a chassis that will accommodate a 3" height toroidal isolation/balanced transformer.

I want to go with a 1000va dual secondary 58-60 volt for your basic 115-120v mains in and out to standard audio gear.

It will not be running amps, just source gear so I want to go big as possible without breaking the bank or under sizing it with a 500 or 750 va as I have the space.

Seems the only readily available under 3" height toroidal with the correct specs. I can find right now is a Hammond? I know hammonds are pretty well known for good tube amp transformers, but are they any good in this application especially for audio?

I can say I prefer to stay away from plitron transformers. Heard them in the past, and not that impressed not to mention the biggest reason I never liked them in gear they populated was they always seem to hum.

I can't even find an Avel 1000va only 800 va versions...

Please if anybody knows any sources for a good 1000 va dual secondary for a balanced AC setup let me know...

Or is this Hammond shown here good?  Hammond 1182R60

https://www.hammfg.com/electronics/transformers/power/1182

Thanks
« Last Edit: 25 Dec 2016, 05:54 pm by undertow »

Speedskater

• Kevin
If you are in the US, then 115 Volt is ancient history. In the past decade 120V was nominal but now 125V is common.
No power transformer likes overvoltage. But a 125V transformer is very happy operating at 115V.
Get a little "Kill-a-Watt" or similar AC power line meter.

undertow

120v is the standard yes.... Pretty much all the listed transformers I see still have 115 and 117 v input listed on them in the data sheets. Although in respect to your concern here are a couple data sheets which are new.

As for the importance of this project as long as the dual secondaries are listed at 58 volt, or 60 volt I guess I will just take my chances on the out of date specs on the primaries.

https://www.hammfg.com/files/parts/pdf/1182R60.pdf

http://www.antekinc.com/content/AN-10458.pdf

Speedskater

• Kevin
The important thing is to spec a transformer rated at a little more voltage than you will get in the future.
Line voltage is creeping up over time. NEC now specs 125V.

undertow

By the way I am going to probably just attempt this Antek since I can order direct for 100, if it doesn't work out its directly from them so I can return. Not bad at $100.

http://www.antekinc.com/an-10458-1000va-58v-transformer/

undertow

Speedskater not to rain on your parade all of these toroidal over the last 25 years that I know of are designed to handle 115 all the way to 230v as stated from all of these designs as they work universally on U.S. And overseas line voltage. So not worried about about 120 or 125... And mostly every manufacturing spec. I have read many times almost all of these transformers no matter the manufacturer do high pot testing to 4000 vac.

My suggestion lets just get back on track as the detail here you are exploiting is of zero significance in this part selection. Thanks for your concern...if you're still unsure please read here.

https://www.hammfg.com/electronics/transformers/power/1182

srb

Speedskater not to rain on your parade all of these toroidal over the last 25 years that I know of are designed to handle 115 all the way to 230v as stated from all of these designs as they work universally on U.S. And overseas line voltage.

Not really, they don't actually handle a range of "115 all the way to 230v", they are designed for either 117V or 234V (per spec) if the second primary winding is used.

Steve

undertow

Correct just saying it's still rated just fine for the little overvoltage. And whether it's actually 115 or 125 from the wall they are all the same transformer, nobody I can find builds them otherwise.

Okay problem solved. We understand, but again was not applicable to the main question sourcing anything in the first place.

Thanks anyway I found something, but surprised how difficult it is to find such a common use transformer.

undertow

Okay... Ironic... And note in first post I think plitron might just be the most noisiest I have experienced in the past :thumb:

Here nor there... Sorry I am not going to go have a custom transformer wound based on the day my AC is coming out at 124 volts and one than wound for the weeks it drops to 121 volts which it is at currently.

Unfortunate but I guess we have to just make an educated purchase based on a "range" which is how all of them are rated. If you can find me a transformer with primaries listed at 121.80 volts to match up right now let me know  :o

UpperCut

• UpperCut - Audio
Not really, they don't actually handle a range of "115 all the way to 230v", they are designed for either 117V or 234V (per spec) if the second primary winding is used.

Steve

Interesting all these Voltage differences yet I find with my equipment I have a Filter unit for all type of AU, US, EU ... connection & that has a digital Voltage readout in it which shows here in NZ line AC power - overall low usage 239 AC Volt  & 235 on high usage so there must be a even larger passband then just AC 230 Volt.

rgs UpperCut

tvyankee

Hello.

If Occam is around anymore you may pm him an ask him.  I remember a while ago he was way into doing this sort of thing. As a matter of fact the last time I saw him he was afraid he may get thrown out of his house because he had to many transformers lying around.

Hope that guy is good he is a good dude.