Need a road bike for outdoor exercise, any suggestions?

timind

• permanent vacation
I recently started riding my bike for exercise after injuring my achilles playing tennis. The bike I've had for years is an old cheapo mountain type bike which rides fairly well, all thing considered. I'm thinking though, if I'm going to continue this, I should get a road bike.

Back in the 70s-80s I had a Schwinn Varsity which I loved. It was a 25 inch frame with 27 inch tires and fit my 6'2" frame well. I road this thing all over and took it to Crete when I was stationed there in 83-86. Unfortunately, it did not survive the return trip.

Should I look for something similar on Craig's list or look for a more contemporary frame? There is a fellow on local Craig's list who has quite a few bikes of that vintage which he advertises as refurbs with prices around $200.

I.Greyhound Fan

Re: Need a road bike for outdoor exercise, any suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: 1 Aug 2016, 03:06 pm »
Look for a more contemporary bike.  The new indexed shifting is awesome.  If you buy new you will be able to have the bike fit to you.  Although it you like the frame geometry of an old school bike, Surly Bikes will fit the bill-

http://surlybikes.com/bikes

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #2 on: 1 Aug 2016, 03:47 pm »
Guess I should specify price. I'm not looking to spend a lot (<$400) as this may be temporary. If my ankle heals properly I'll be out on the tennis courts again. Although, riding on Indiana back roads seems a lot safer than I expected; very little traffic out there.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #3 on: 1 Aug 2016, 04:07 pm »
I just bought a "Hybrid" a couple of weeks ago. Trek FX 7.2. Happy with it so far.

I did go to 3 separate Bike shops and asked the same basic questions at each. Pointed me in the right direction. I bought from one of the shops so I can start developing a better relationship should any issues crop up or for when/if I feel the need to upgrade. I highly recommend doing something like this.

Oh, my bike was right at $500 - close to what you are talking about $$$ wise. A hybrid bike can do a bit of off-roading, but rolls much better than a Mountain Bike. Not as high performance as a road bike, nor as light. More durable (I hope).

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #4 on: 1 Aug 2016, 04:59 pm »
I second the recommendation to visit local bike shops.

Their expertise in terms of recommending bikes that fit you and provide you what you need are essential for a great biking experience.

Your timing is good as many bike shops are trying to move out remaining 2015 and 2016 models right now and there are many good deals available.

You can definitely get a quality bike for $500 or less.

Best of luck.

George

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #5 on: 1 Aug 2016, 05:04 pm »
If you want a new bike at that price, take a look here-

http://bikesdirect.com/products/road_bikes.htm

pslate

« Reply #6 on: 1 Aug 2016, 05:17 pm »
I think used is the way to go if you have a sense fit. Bike fit is so darn important, and often not highlighted enough. I think finding a bike that fits you is more important than the right model bike. If you trust your local source that could be a good option. Ask for advice, and let them know how you ride etc. What the vintage seller may not have is a bike that can run 28 mm tires. Tires are getting wider now that people realize there is not much to loose and just comfort to gain. The pro peloton runs 25 mm these days. I can fit 28s on my CAAD10 disc. The traditional model I do not believe has the clearance. So fit in tires. That's what I say. If you are between something that can only do 23s and a cyclocross bikes that fits you. I'd do the cross bike. Road frames for wider tires are newer and harder to find used. 23 to 25 was nice, 28 is perfect  :thumb: http://www.bikeroar.com/articles/why-you-must-run-wider-tires-on-your-road-bike

Odal3

« Reply #7 on: 1 Aug 2016, 06:32 pm »
Where in Indiana are you at? I'm in Indianapolis and if you're close by, I'd be happy to point out some good bike stores etc.
There is a pretty nice and welcoming bike community here for all skill levels.

100 % agree with some of the earlier comments that fit is much more important than anything else. Go to a local store and ask them to help you determine fit. Just remember that bike fitting is a "science" that take a long time to master so whatever they tell you will just be a starting point. Also keep in mind there is no real standard how they measure the sizes between different brands.

If you plan to only ride on paved roads, a road bike is what I recommend. It will be easier to ride and take you further distances.

Best of luck in your search.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 1 Aug 2016, 06:37 pm »
Guess I should specify price. I'm not looking to spend a lot (<$400) as this may be temporary. If my ankle heals properly I'll be out on the tennis courts again. Although, riding on Indiana back roads seems a lot safer than I expected; very little traffic out there.

BTW, riding a bike for exercise and/or weight loss is a great idea.

I have lost 20 lbs over the last few months with bike riding as my primary cardio exercise.

Right now I am riding around 75-80 miles per week on my hilly roads.

George

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #9 on: 1 Aug 2016, 11:27 pm »
Where in Indiana are you at? I'm in Indianapolis and if you're close by, I'd be happy to point out some good bike stores etc.
There is a pretty nice and welcoming bike community here for all skill levels.

100 % agree with some of the earlier comments that fit is much more important than anything else. Go to a local store and ask them to help you determine fit. Just remember that bike fitting is a "science" that take a long time to master so whatever they tell you will just be a starting point. Also keep in mind there is no real standard how they measure the sizes between different brands.

If you plan to only ride on paved roads, a road bike is what I recommend. It will be easier to ride and take you further distances.

Best of luck in your search.

I'm in Brownsburg  :thumb:

Thanks to all for the advice.

drphoto

« Reply #10 on: 2 Aug 2016, 12:42 am »
Well you're pretty far from Clarksville, IN, but I'd say go to Clarksville Schwinn and talk to Bob the owner. Bought several bikes from him and sent many folks his way. And they sell a lot of brands, not just schwinn. I ran a Trek road bike and Cannonadale Mt.

New bikes are awesome compared to the stuff I rode back in 90's when I was thin and fit and did road racing. New stuff is super light and index shifting is cool, and brakes are much better.

And another +1 on proper fit. Lot a people get a frame that's too big, and set their seat way too low.

Folsom

« Reply #11 on: 2 Aug 2016, 01:06 am »
I would consider  $1200 a good low end budget, for new. Also you can get some money out of it if you sell it, where as its rough on the cheaper ones.

Fit is key, and saddle size. Someone else said Specialized shops have special measurement things for sit bones now.

Odal3

« Reply #12 on: 2 Aug 2016, 04:17 am »
You're close then. I'm just South of Zionsville.

At 6'2", a good starting point is to look at 58 cm frames (sometimes also called XL or similar). I looked at craigslist for you and the selection was pretty poor at the moment. For less than $1k budget used is your best bet. I recommend that you stick with popular brands if you're buying a used more modern bike (Trek, Giant, Specialized, Scott, Cannondale, BMC, Ridley and similar brands) since it will be easier to resell it for about the same money as you bought it for.

But be warned: this is just as a slippery slope as buying audio equipment...it can quickly get expensive.

Btw: don't forget to get a good helmet. Cycling gloves and cycling shorts are also highly recommended.

Good bikes shops close to you are Nebo Ridge on N Michigan Rd North of Target, BGI close to Fashion Mall, or BOI on the West side. They will all be good places to get a feel for what size to get. However, these places sell medium priced to high end bikes and you'll not find one within your budget there. Another place is Performance Bike over in Castleton - they have some lower priced bikes as well (but prob still higher than you want to pay).

I do have a few bikes at home at roughly your size. They are not for sale but you're welcome to come over to try them out for size and I can also show you some nice cycling routes in the area. Just send me a pm.

Folsom

« Reply #13 on: 2 Aug 2016, 04:29 am »
Inseam matters too. I think Odal3 and I are the same height (that's the only similarity), but I can ride a 60cm road bike just fine because I've got long legs. So I highly suggest you compare inseam to bike size. Although foot size plays a small factor, too. If I had small feet a 58cm might easier to get adjusted for me.

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #14 on: 2 Aug 2016, 09:02 am »
I am intersted in basically what the OP describes.  Are there considerations for seats?  Something that won't cause ... numbness?

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #15 on: 2 Aug 2016, 12:27 pm »
I would consider  $1200 a good low end budget, for new. Also you can get some money out of it if you sell it, where as its rough on the cheaper ones.

Fit is key, and saddle size. Someone else said Specialized shops have special measurement things for sit bones now.
You're making those Craig's list bikes look better and better. I'm not ready to commit $1200 to this endeavor just yet.
I'm going to check Nebo Ridge as Odal3 suggests. This should give me a idea of what I need. Thanks.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 2 Aug 2016, 01:14 pm »
You're making those Craig's list bikes look better and better. I'm not ready to commit $1200 to this endeavor just yet.
I'm going to check Nebo Ridge as Odal3 suggests. This should give me a idea of what I need. Thanks.

You don't need to spend $1200 to get a good bike.

As was previously stated $500 (especially if you take advantage of sales) will get you a bike way better than the box store offerings. 

Unless you know bikes well, I am not sure the risks associated with buying used from a private person is the best approach.  Between proper fit and mechanicals, you have a few areas that could turn a used purchase into a mess.

Another thing to look for are bike swaps.

We are going to one in two weeks to try and find my 12 years old son a bigger bike.  Since he is growing so quickly, it makes no sense to spend a lot on a bike he will quickly outgrow. 

This particular bike swap is run by the best bike shop in my area and there will be hundreds of bikes there.

Tremendous value if we can find something.

George

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #17 on: 6 Aug 2016, 11:11 pm »
Quick update here, I visited Nebo Ridge as Odal33 suggested. The sales guy was very helpful and showed me a $760 road bike which was a nice riding bike. My next step is to visit one of the Craig's list sellers that are refurbing "vintage" bikes for sale.
Keep in mind, I'm not a bike riding enthusiast just yet. I went out this morning for 50 minute ride which is a nice workout. I'm not sure I'd ever go out for much more than a 2 hour ride.
My goal is exercise, not really distance riding. After riding the bike at Nebo Ridge though, I'm sure I'd go a lot further in 50 minutes on a better bike.

Doublej

« Reply #18 on: 6 Aug 2016, 11:55 pm »
If you are near an REI or EMS I their fall clearance on bikes will be coming up soon. It's an easy way to get 20% or more off a good bike....if they have one left in your size.

Odal3

« Reply #19 on: 7 Aug 2016, 12:09 am »
Quick update here, I visited Nebo Ridge as Odal33 suggested. The sales guy was very helpful and showed me a $760 road bike which was a nice riding bike. My next step is to visit one of the Craig's list sellers that are refurbing "vintage" bikes for sale.
Keep in mind, I'm not a bike riding enthusiast just yet. I went out this morning for 50 minute ride which is a nice workout. I'm not sure I'd ever go out for much more than a 2 hour ride.
My goal is exercise, not really distance riding. After riding the bike at Nebo Ridge though, I'm sure I'd go a lot further in 50 minutes on a better bike.

:thumb: Which one did you try? Did you figure out the size?