Fostex Massdrop TH-X00

JohnR

Re: Fostex Massdrop TH-X00
« Reply #20 on: 15 Sep 2017, 08:25 pm »
Looks like they've sold nearly 9,500 pair of these headphones now :o (in three versions)

JohnR

« Reply #21 on: 17 Sep 2017, 04:40 am »
They have quite the captive audience now :D

santacore

« Reply #22 on: 17 Sep 2017, 05:10 pm »
I am quite happy with the pair I got. At times I even prefer them over my TH900's. The TH900's are technically better across the board, but something about these makes me want to listen.

dcun201

« Reply #23 on: 19 Sep 2017, 08:14 am »
Hello I have a pair of Sennheiser HD700, would the Fostex be an upgrade from the HD700? The treble spike on the HD700 is making me wanting to look for a replacement headphone for it.

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #24 on: 19 Sep 2017, 04:37 pm »
It's a very different sound signature for sure. I think it would be an upgrade, though I don't have a very high regard for the HD700 in the first place.

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #25 on: 19 Sep 2017, 05:46 pm »
Oh yeah - very different.  Be prepared to get a different amp to suit the Fostex.
Edit: I'd be using a tube amp with the Sennheiser.

Partially agree, but only because the Bottlehead Crack is a classic pairing with the Senn. But don't get bent out of shape shopping for amps if you already have one.

dcun201

« Reply #26 on: 19 Sep 2017, 05:48 pm »
Oh yeah - very different.  Be prepared to get a different amp to suit the Fostex.
Edit: I'd be using a tube amp with the Sennheiser.

Yeah I paired the HD700 with my Oppo HA-1 (The only good dac/amp setup I have) and it just didn't sound good to my ears.  I guess I am looking for a good headphone to pair with the HA-1.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #27 on: 10 Nov 2017, 01:40 pm »
Rocket, what upgrade did u get for your O2?
You can pm me if this isnt appropriate for this thread.
Alex

dB Cooper

« Reply #28 on: 16 Nov 2017, 04:59 pm »
I've gotten some good deals from Massdrop, but their forums are a farce - good people asking questions, and "volunteers" hyping the gear beyond belief.  Hopefully their users will look around and find other audiophile forums.

Not only that but the product descriptions are often farcical too, like this from the AKG K7xx description: "The lows have been jacked up by 3dB for fully immersive stereo imaging." WTF that is supposed to mean is anybody's guess, but it doesnt't sound truly informative to me. That is one reason I've never pulled the trigger on a massdrop; another is the lack of clarity regarding warranty status. They had a 'drop' of the Shure SE535 awhile back in which the copy said to ignore unusual characters on the box. That suggests 'grey market' to me. I suggest contacting the mfr of anything you buy there and confirm that warranties will be honored. I was also suspicious that they listed the K7xx as 'MSRP $699' which applies to the Austrian-made 712 Anniversary, implying that's what you're getting, whereas the 7xx is made in China (Harman's parent company Samsung moved all AKG production there for the usual reasons.) Nothing against China, the headphone may very well be just as good, but the marketing feels misleading if not deceitful. As with any purchase, caveat emptor.