Mr Robot

mcgsxr

Mr Robot
« on: 19 Jul 2015, 07:31 pm »
Not sure if anyone has tried this new series on?  Christian Slater has a role, but most of the cast is newer talent.

Not for the faint of heart for sure, plenty of recreational (and perhaps beyond) drug use.

Lots of hacker chat too, and a lot of social commentary.

But very intelligent.  Philosophical to be sure.

I don't know if I like it, but I know I cannot stop watching it!

SoCalWJS

Re: Mr Robot
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jul 2015, 07:43 pm »
Not sure if anyone has tried this new series on?  Christian Slater has a role, but most of the cast is newer talent.

Not for the faint of heart for sure, plenty of recreational (and perhaps beyond) drug use.

Lots of hacker chat too, and a lot of social commentary.

But very intelligent.  Philosophical to be sure.

I don't know if I like it, but I know I cannot stop watching it!
I'm watching it and enjoying it. Interesting reading some of the different takes on it. Don't want to give anything away, but it can certainly change your impression of what's going on.

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #2 on: 19 Jul 2015, 09:16 pm »
Good series, so far.  Too bad they have not so far spelled out the three Asimov rules they have kind of obliquely referred to;

Whoops, I was thinking about the other robot series, Humans.  I like both of these series, for what that is worth.

For those of you who are not old enough to have read the Fpundation series when it was first published or his trail breaking Robot series, here are the rules, supposedly programmed into every robot.

1. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
    2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
    3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Laws.

Frank Van Alstine

JackD201

« Reply #3 on: 19 Jul 2015, 10:20 pm »
Yep this one's a dark one alright and double yep, I can't stop watching it either.

ajzepp

« Reply #4 on: 21 Jul 2015, 08:02 am »
Mr Robot, Humans, and Halt and Catch Fire....this is the freshest TV I've experienced in quite a while. Really enjoying all three of these shows.

Oh, and Ray Donovan just started up again...good times!  :thumb:

stlrman

« Reply #5 on: 21 Jul 2015, 11:34 am »
Are Halt ,Catch Fire, and Mr. Robot all HBO? Thanks

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #6 on: 21 Jul 2015, 03:15 pm »
Mr. Robot is USA Network. Halt and Catch Fire is on AMC.

My wife and I are really enjoying Mr. Robot--although the rest of the episodes are having a hard time equaling the creativity of the pilot.

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #7 on: 21 Jul 2015, 05:29 pm »
+1 for Mr Robot - ocassionally the plot is a little too predictable - good guys vs bad guys stuff - but overall very entertaining.  Some of the visuals are superb - the long shots as he walks and thinks are very un-TV like.

ajzepp

« Reply #8 on: 22 Jul 2015, 04:34 am »
Are Halt ,Catch Fire, and Mr. Robot all HBO? Thanks

What Atlplasma said :)

My favorite new HBO show is Ballers...if you're a sports fan, you might find it entertaining. It stars Dwayne Johnson (the Rock).

I tried to also get into True Detective, but that show lost me after the 2nd episode.

Folsom

« Reply #9 on: 4 Apr 2016, 03:19 am »
I watched the first season. Not a bad show. But when it got into the whole deal with his "dad" I started to really dislike it. The whole brain against oneself, imaginary stuff... Way too over played. Barf.

rodge827

« Reply #10 on: 4 Apr 2016, 12:09 pm »
I watched the first season. Not a bad show. But when it got into the whole deal with his "dad" I started to really dislike it. The whole brain against oneself, imaginary stuff... Way too over played. Barf.

We binge watched the first season yesterday and I agree with Folsom on this one!
It started off Ok but the last few episodes went way off balance and somewhat confusing.
3 stars for effort
4 Stars for visuals
Cautious recommend to a friend.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #11 on: 24 Jun 2016, 05:45 pm »
Season 1 on Amazon Prime now - I can finally watch it, yes!

persisting1

« Reply #12 on: 28 Jun 2016, 07:17 pm »

I couldn't agree with this more. I was enjoying this series until they had to do that. Without going into detail (let's not spoil it for those who haven't watched it), I was disappointed when they went that route. Still might give season 2 a chance.

Folsom

« Reply #13 on: 28 Jun 2016, 10:02 pm »
Just watched the special on it, pre-season. It is kind of neat how authentic the hacking happens to be.

Tyson

« Reply #14 on: 1 Jul 2016, 10:26 pm »
Just blew through the whole first season.  Best show I've seen since Breaking Bad.  The real question is, can they keep it up and/or get better in season 2?

jriggy

« Reply #15 on: 1 Jul 2016, 11:00 pm »
Tyson,

I'm glad you liked it! I did too. My faves list now is Battlestar Galactica, Breaking Bad and Mr Robot. Well, I like Game of Throwns, too. 

But it is a bit early to judge it on just one season I hope they keep it up.

Tyson

« Reply #16 on: 2 Jul 2016, 01:04 am »
This is one show that you really have to watch on a big screen.  Like 100" projector screen.  It also really, really knows how to use sound.  So many scenes just wouldn't have worked on a small screen because the sound is so crazy, over the top.  But with a giant screen it worked beautifully.  It really (really!) works to pull you in and put you into Elliot's head.  Again, it does this better than any other show I've seen outside of Breaking Bad.  But BB had 5 amazing seasons, while Mr Robot has had one.  But I am very hopeful for Season 2.

Oh, and most people will figure out that it has quite a bit of homage to Fight Club (Project Mayhem for the internet age!), but I also spotted quite a few other shout outs along the way - American Psycho, Eyes Wide Shut, Macbeth, American History X, The Social Network, even a very small but very specific joke from Bad Influence (I thought I was the only one that liked that movie).  Fun stuff.

Klavierman

« Reply #17 on: 30 Jul 2016, 07:58 pm »
So far, season 2 is not nearly as good as the first in my opinion. It seems far more disjointed and seems to have a less structured plot. It's still good, just not as riveting as the first. Interestingly, the first episode had several uncensored "f-words" but the subsequent 2 have them muted. Did too many viewers or sponsors complain?

WGH

Re: Mr Robot - Season 3
« Reply #18 on: 27 Oct 2017, 02:04 am »
Yea, Elliott is just is screwed up in Season 3 as he was in Season 1, but at least he knows why. Still a lot of twists and turns and on my weekly "must watch" list.
Maybe it helps that I am a computer nerd so I understand all the stuff that is happening. If you know just a little coding this show goes real deep into the weeds.

Mr. Robot can be watched on many levels but the deeper you go, the more fun it is. All the web addresses in the show are real and lead down different rabbit holes with plenty of Easter eggs. Each show has puzzles, clues and possible solutions posted on Reddit and in articles by computer security experts.

Season 3 Episode 2 has a web address typed in by Elliott, click on it or copy and paste into Google to see what I'm talking about:
https://sandbox.vflsruxm.net/plans.rar
Hint: it is a base64-encoded string
Decode it and it will take you someplace else.

Wayne