TubeCube7 (Miniwatt N3)

tx2sturgis

• Texas Panhandle
TubeCube7 (Miniwatt N3)
« on: 13 Mar 2015, 05:58 pm »
New member, first post on this forum.

I'm a 50 something who started on tube gear in my childhood, lost interest for years, found the interest returning.

Recently I bought a TubeCube7 (which seems to be a clone of the Miniwatt N3) and it sounds pretty good, even paired with somewhat inefficient speakers. 3.5 wpc sounds decent to me at about 3 feet away on my desktop.

The old classic Realistic Minimus 7's that I had sitting unused in my old motorhome were just begging to be used, and the TC7 seems to like them.

My hearing is not what it was when I was younger...45 years of loud motorcycles, 35 years driving truck, and attending numerous rock concerts...

I have really enjoyed this little setup on my desktop (the pics are for the website, thats not my desktop!)...and no its not premium audiophile setup, but I enjoy it. 

Thanks for reading.

---Brian

« Last Edit: 16 Mar 2015, 02:49 pm by tx2sturgis »

RootScript

Re: TubeCube7 (Miniwatt N3)
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jan 2016, 04:21 am »
@tx2sturgis Hello Brian,
Thanks for posting info about the TubeCube7, I have been wondering about this for a while.  It looks like the MiniWatt N3 & the APPJ PA0901A, I wonder if is just a branding//logo difference or whether the TubeCube7 has any 'tweaked' components?

I recently bought the APPJ PA1501A 2 valve version, which I am pretty happy with.  This little amplifier gets a lot better the more I listen to it (burn in).
One thing that is worth noting is that I changed the stock 'USA Tubes' 6AD10 valves for some RCA 6AD10 ones, and noticed quite a significant change in the sound signature.  I have recently changed to GE 6AD10 NOS (New Old Stock) vintage tubes, and I am now very satisfied with the detail and weight of sound, the staging & imaging has also become a lot more refined.

I would really recommend asking other MiniWatt N3 owners for some advice on some NOS tubes for your TubeCube7 (MiniWatt N3); I'm sure you will as happy as me once you find the 'right' ones for you.