GR Research and Rythmik co-developed OB subwoofer

dm

Re: GR Research and Rythmik co-developed OB subwoofer
« Reply #20 on: 11 May 2014, 04:35 pm »
Does the servo plate amp A370PEQ include 6db/oct baffle loss compensation?  Are the A370PEQ EQ and crossover adjustments just for mating the subwoofer to the mains and deal with room modes?

Danny Richie

« Reply #21 on: 11 May 2014, 10:59 pm »
Does the servo plate amp A370PEQ include 6db/oct baffle loss compensation?  Are the A370PEQ EQ and crossover adjustments just for mating the subwoofer to the mains and deal with room modes?

The servo system performs a little like a transform circuit in the lower ranges but works much differently. It compares the input to cone movement to maintain a linear response. And they will maintain that flat response to below 20Hz.

To your last question, yes.

bdp24

« Reply #22 on: 12 May 2014, 12:43 am »

If you are asking about the 6dB loss specific to the OB sub, when you order your A370 you specify that the amp will be for OB use, and Brian installs the OB shelving circuit into the amp.

dm

« Reply #23 on: 12 May 2014, 01:57 am »
If you are asking about the 6dB loss specific to the OB sub, when you order your A370 you specify that the amp will be for OB use, and Brian installs the OB shelving circuit into the amp.

that is exactly what I was asking.  thank you.

ianderson

« Reply #24 on: 5 Mar 2018, 12:30 am »
First time poster, please forgive me if I’ve not delved deep enough. I’ve recently acquired a pair of refurbished ESL63 USA monitors. I’m thrilled there is a superior option to the old Gradients. I’ve had extended listening with the Gradients on a friends system, even these I’m not thrilled at how they integrate withe the panels. A few questions, I’m grateful for any help here...

1) how much better is the GR solution in terms of integration?
2) I don’t see any plans for a base version that is designed to fit underneath the ESL 63 the positions them at the correct height. Is there one?
3) one post talks about twisting the OB to imporve resonances, is this likely in most situation thereby causing the mounting of the 63 to the top of the OB SW needing to be flexible?
4) I see there is a 2 or 3 woofer version, which mates better with the 63 in a 14 x 22 room? And why?
5) MDF seems to be the frequent choice, would Baltic Birch be better?
6) GR offers dampening material, has anyone used it and hear audible differences? Was it worth the investment

Any feedback appreciated!

Captainhemo

« Reply #25 on: 6 Mar 2018, 06:56 am »
First time poster, please forgive me if I’ve not delved deep enough. I’ve recently acquired a pair of refurbished ESL63 USA monitors. I’m thrilled there is a superior option to the old Gradients. I’ve had extended listening with the Gradients on a friends system, even these I’m not thrilled at how they integrate withe the panels. A few questions, I’m grateful for any help here...

2) I don’t see any plans for a base version that is designed to fit underneath the ESL 63 the positions them at the correct height. Is there one?
3) one post talks about twisting the OB to imporve resonances, is this likely in most situation thereby causing the mounting of the 63 to the top of the OB SW needing to be flexible?
4) I see there is a 2 or 3 woofer version, which mates better with the 63 in a 14 x 22 room? And why?
6) GR offers dampening material, has anyone used it and hear audible differences? Was it worth the investment

Here's some  info on a couople of your  questions... 
2 vs 3,woofer stack....   2 per channel  will  likely fill your room  .... with 3  you'll gain  1/3 more  air movement,  some impact  and  you'll work each driver less so they'll effectively become more efficient.   How noticiable this is  will depnd on how  hard you work the   duals.

MDF is a very   uniform material.  I like it for speakers.   I'm thinking you'll get guys on both sides of the  "fence"  regarding this.   We've been using  Medex in our  modular   design  which works well,  I can't get it in  1.5"  so  they use  1.25" side panels.... i'ts a  bit denser than   standard MDF and  is much  more water  resistent.  Nice thing about the modulars is you can add an aditon  driver at any point, or more if you   really want.   Can go all the way up to quads  or even 6 stacks if you   go to the  HX800 amps.

I  wouldn't build a pair  without the no-rez.  You're talking about  building a  world class  sub woofer solution, don't  cheap ouot   on the  damping material.    I have never built a pair without   it so can't give any   a/b impressins.  IIRC, Tyson  did some before after  no-rez  impressions when  he  builot out his  Super 7's .  Again, IIRC,  he felt    it made a significant  difference.

jay

Folsom

« Reply #26 on: 6 Mar 2018, 07:15 am »
I'm kind of wondering when a big pounder is coming, something that can take a few thousand watts.

FatRaccoon

« Reply #27 on: 14 Mar 2018, 05:54 am »

I'm also a ESL 63 user. I had my eyes on the sub for awhile too.
Linkwitz has a dipole sub for his LX521 too. And he also designed a ""bridge" to isolate treble/mid from the sub.
I'm getting a pair of arcici stands for mine. It might clear a 2 drivers sub laying horizontal.
My question will be
1 any differences having subs vertical vs horizontal?
2 do I need to rise sub off the floor with feet or a short frame?
Thanks

Captainhemo

« Reply #28 on: 14 Mar 2018, 04:03 pm »
I'm also a ESL 63 user. I had my eyes on the sub for awhile too.
Linkwitz has a dipole sub for his LX521 too. And he also designed a ""bridge" to isolate treble/mid from the sub.
I'm getting a pair of arcici stands for mine. It might clear a 2 drivers sub laying horizontal.
My question will be
1 any differences having subs vertical vs horizontal?
2 do I need to rise sub off the floor with feet or a short frame?
Thanks

the subs will work  just fine on their sides ( there nulls to  the side) , just be sure to  have at least   3' behind them.  I  wouldn't say  you  " have to"   have them off the floor, but using   either spikes or  say some of the new , short isolatin  / bibration control  feet from various  manufactuers may be  a good  idea

jay

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #29 on: 15 Mar 2018, 03:01 pm »
By putting my subs onto custom Isoacoustic stands the transfer of bass into the floor was significantly reduced. 

AV123 LS-X on GR/Rythmik Open Baffle Servo Subwoofers on Isoacoustic stands by Rob C, on Flickr
« Last Edit: 21 Mar 2018, 03:34 pm by corndog71 »

Danny Richie

« Reply #30 on: 15 Mar 2018, 04:06 pm »
By putting my subs onto custom Isoacoustic stands the transfer of bass into the floor was significantly reduced. 

https://flic.kr/p/23Qv5KF

Nice stands.

Rule of thumb is that if the floor moves add a damper. If the floor is solid concrete then spike them to the floor.

TomS

« Reply #31 on: 15 Mar 2018, 04:08 pm »
If someone wants a couple larger IsoAcoustic sub stands, JTWRace has some for sale long ago on the trading post. I think he still has them.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #32 on: 15 Mar 2018, 05:15 pm »
If someone wants a couple larger IsoAcoustic sub stands, JTWRace has some for sale long ago on the trading post. I think he still has them.
http

://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=151777.msg1673350#new

AUDFILE74

« Reply #33 on: 20 Mar 2018, 02:05 pm »
I'm kind of wondering when a big pounder is coming, something that can take a few thousand watts.
AGREED  and in my case i'd love to see a high power OB  multi driver version

Danny Richie

« Reply #34 on: 20 Mar 2018, 02:32 pm »
AGREED  and in my case i'd love to see a high power OB  multi driver version

We have a kit that uses twelve 12's. http://gr-research.com/superservosubkits.aspx

Captainhemo

« Reply #35 on: 20 Mar 2018, 03:04 pm »
Modular flat packs work great  for these ,  anywhere from duals to  6 stacks actually.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=139480.240    post  253  and on

jay

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #36 on: 20 Mar 2018, 06:20 pm »
Love my two 6x12" servo sub arrays with the HX800 servo amps!   :thumb:

WC

« Reply #37 on: 29 Mar 2018, 10:28 pm »
So I see you recommend the servo woofers in a H or W frame configuration. What would happen if the woofers were installed on a flat baffle 18" or so wide? Would the output be less than a H frame?

Danny Richie

« Reply #38 on: 30 Mar 2018, 02:03 am »
So I see you recommend the servo woofers in a H or W frame configuration. What would happen if the woofers were installed on a flat baffle 18" or so wide? Would the output be less than a H frame?

Then the drivers wouldn't be as loaded down low and reduce lower range output. The front to back wave would cancel more quickly and limit impact and extension. The response may not be as linear as well.

maty

« Reply #39 on: 12 Dec 2019, 11:18 am »
I just read:

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/346543-gr-research-dipole-subwoofer-post6005797.html

by esl 63

One more thing... let the elements play in the SAME direction. This will give you more 2nd harmonic distortion. But it will mask the higher harmonics (3d, 4th, 5th etc)
Sounds better this way.

Yes slightly higher THD, but remember your own ear is producing significant amount of 2nd harmonics. Up to 10% in the low frequency region. And the added 2nd harmoic is the least disturbing harmonic. Actually you prefer it after listening test...

Danny, is it true? I wonder if the fact of being dominant H2 is really important in a subwoofer. I think not but I am not the expert.

* http://gr-research.com/sw-12-16fr.aspx

* [PDF] http://www.gr-research.com/pdf/obsub.pdf