Girl With the Dragon Tattoo Trilogy

ajzepp

Girl With the Dragon Tattoo Trilogy
« on: 29 Nov 2013, 01:10 pm »
I found out a while back that Netflix had the original trilogy available in the extended editions and have finally gotten around to watching it. I thought the first film was really well done, going into a bit more detail than what the Daniel Craig version did (which I also thought was solid), but the second one REALLY impressed me. I think most people like the first better, but I found the 2nd one pretty riveting. I can't wait to see the third one, probably this weekend.

Anyone else seen them? (Please no spoilers)

ptmconsulting

Re: Girl With the Dragon Tattoo Trilogy
« Reply #1 on: 29 Nov 2013, 01:30 pm »
I really liked the original movie for the first episode, but only for that. The remakes were better overall, from a Hollywood flic perspective (better production quality, better actors, etc.). But the real experience is in the books, as usual.

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #2 on: 29 Nov 2013, 01:56 pm »

Did see some of the remake and like the originals far more..

WC

« Reply #3 on: 29 Nov 2013, 02:15 pm »
I liked all three of the original movies. I have not seen the remake yet, so I really can't compare them.

tomytoons

« Reply #4 on: 29 Nov 2013, 02:41 pm »
I have seen and liked the originals.
A bit different from the normal movie offerings.

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #5 on: 29 Nov 2013, 03:34 pm »
I found those movies on netflix right before the third film was available. I was home sick with the flu. I became incredibly engrossed, nearly forgetting how crummy I felt. Being unfamiliar with foreign films, the first one was something of a shocker - blunt and gritty, but genuine. The unfolding of the story was simply brilliant - and what a story it was shaping up to be! The second film drug me deeper into the plot - as a second film should do. I was very disappointed when I discovered that I would have to wait a week for the concluding chapter in the trilogy. After the week's wait, there was no disappointment at all in the third film.

I mentioned them to a friend who informed me that Hollywood was working on releasing a remake of those films. I fully expected extreme disappointment, but I have to say that Hollywood didn't ruin the first film. It stayed far truer to the Swedish film than I anticipated. I still prefer the original, but I have to confess that it's liberating to not read subtitles.

ajzepp

« Reply #6 on: 29 Nov 2013, 04:07 pm »
I found those movies on netflix right before the third film was available. I was home sick with the flu. I became incredibly engrossed, nearly forgetting how crummy I felt. Being unfamiliar with foreign films, the first one was something of a shocker - blunt and gritty, but genuine. The unfolding of the story was simply brilliant - and what a story it was shaping up to be! The second film drug me deeper into the plot - as a second film should do. I was very disappointed when I discovered that I would have to wait a week for the concluding chapter in the trilogy. After the week's wait, there was no disappointment at all in the third film.

I mentioned them to a friend who informed me that Hollywood was working on releasing a remake of those films. I fully expected extreme disappointment, but I have to say that Hollywood didn't ruin the first film. It stayed far truer to the Swedish film than I anticipated. I still prefer the original, but I have to confess that it's liberating to not read subtitles.

Wow, you said that almost exactly as I said it to a buddy of mine yesterday...that the way the story unfolds keeps the viewer engaged and interested for the entire running time. Each film flew by at 3hrs...I couldn't believe it. And I agree about how the 2nd film took us deeper into the story, especially as it pertains to Lisbeth. I really can't wait to see the last film, but I'll be sad that it's over, too.

Don_S

« Reply #7 on: 29 Nov 2013, 05:19 pm »
Has there been a release of remakes on 2&3?  I have only seen the remake of the first part of the trilogy. The remake was a huge disappointment. Just a poor copy of the original. Really no reason for the remake except $$$$$$$.  It had nothing to offer.

I have watched each of the original (foreign) releases at least three times. I have no desire to watch the remake of the first episode again.

Parts 2&3 are my favorites. Go Lisbeth!!! Noomi Rapace is outstanding as Lisbeth.

Folsom

« Reply #8 on: 29 Nov 2013, 05:24 pm »
At least Noomi Rapace looks slightly Tom Boyish. She probably lifted some weights for the role, or ate more, something. Rooney Mara looks a bit delicate.

I watched all three a few years ago. It's a pretty well done series, and given how long it is you don't get bored with it.

wushuliu

« Reply #9 on: 29 Nov 2013, 06:14 pm »
I found out a while back that Netflix had the original trilogy available in the extended editions and have finally gotten around to watching it. I thought the first film was really well done, going into a bit more detail than what the Daniel Craig version did (which I also thought was solid), but the second one REALLY impressed me. I think most people like the first better, but I found the 2nd one pretty riveting. I can't wait to see the third one, probably this weekend.

Anyone else seen them? (Please no spoilers)

Agreed. Great stuff.

Don_S

« Reply #10 on: 29 Nov 2013, 06:25 pm »
Are you sure you don't have the two confused?  To me Mara looks like an Amazon compared to the diminutive Rapace.

I also think Mara's character lacked the hint of compassion that made Rapace more endearing. Not necessarily loveable but identifiable as someone severely damaged but making an effort to maintain certain relationships. She was fiercely loyal and protective of her friends.  Mara was just cold, cold, cold.

At least Noomi Rapace looks slightly Tom Boyish. She probably lifted some weights for the role, or ate more, something. Rooney Mara looks a bit delicate.

I watched all three a few years ago. It's a pretty well done series, and given how long it is you don't get bored with it.

wushuliu

« Reply #11 on: 29 Nov 2013, 06:32 pm »
Mara was just cold, cold, cold.

That's Fincher's doing. Why I stopped watching his films.

Folsom

« Reply #12 on: 29 Nov 2013, 10:06 pm »
Are you sure you don't have the two confused?  To me Mara looks like an Amazon compared to the diminutive Rapace.

I have no idea what you're talking about. Mara just looks weird. Rapace looked guyish.

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #13 on: 29 Nov 2013, 11:21 pm »
When I discussed this trilogy with a friend of mine, we both agreed that Hollywood would probably put some 'hot' actress in the role of Lisbeth - Noomi Rapace positively owned that character. We figured Mikael Blomkvist would also be played by some stud (007, perhaps :wink:). To me, the original films had a more genuine feel about them. The realism is part of what drew me in so completely - along with an excellent plot. There was nothing gratuitous about any of what happened on the screen - all critical to the telling of the story (a story which was allowed to unfold organically - complex, but tenable).

Mara wasn't a bad choice. I just didn't feel as much empathy for her character as for Noomi's. Noomi played a richer character - she had more depth, more feeling. I sensed her pain and I actually cried for her. During the remake, that didn't happen.

Don_S

« Reply #14 on: 30 Nov 2013, 12:42 am »
You said you thought Rapace lifted weights and ate more.   :scratch: Truly neither of them look feminine but Rapace is much smaller than Mara and if Rapace stood sideways and stuck out her tongue she would look like a zipper.

I have no idea what you're talking about. Mara just looks weird. Rapace looked guyish.

Don_S

« Reply #15 on: 30 Nov 2013, 12:49 am »
Kevin,  I agree. I think one word I was searching for before was "vulnerable".  Rapace was more vulnerable and therefore could generate more empathy. She was painfully aware of her social shortcomings and struggled with that realization.

You mentioned subtitles.  No need to suffer with those.  I found the dubbing to be quite good.  Not like some kung fu flick.

When I discussed this trilogy with a friend of mine, we both agreed that Hollywood would probably put some 'hot' actress in the role of Lisbeth - Noomi Rapace positively owned that character. We figured Mikael Blomkvist would also be played by some stud (007, perhaps :wink:). To me, the original films had a more genuine feel about them. The realism is part of what drew me in so completely - along with an excellent plot. There was nothing gratuitous about any of what happened on the screen - all critical to the telling of the story (a story which was allowed to unfold organically - complex, but tenable).

Mara wasn't a bad choice. I just didn't feel as much empathy for her character as for Noomi's. Noomi played a richer character - she had more depth, more feeling. I sensed her pain and I actually cried for her. During the remake, that didn't happen.

ratso

« Reply #16 on: 30 Nov 2013, 03:24 am »
just great films but even better books. i cannot stand dubbing no matter how well done, it just ruins the movie for me.

Folsom

« Reply #17 on: 30 Nov 2013, 03:32 am »
Being short or having low depth doesn't erase andric qualities.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #18 on: 30 Nov 2013, 06:51 am »
I've never seen the first trilogy at all, only the newer Craig/Mara version.  I really really loved that one, even bought it only Blu-Ray.  Rapace and Mara are both fantastic actors, loved them in everything I've seen 'em in.  Since I never read the books I have no idea which films are closest.  Nor do I really care.  Books are books and movies are movies; accept it before it destroys you! :duh: :lol:

ajzepp

« Reply #19 on: 30 Nov 2013, 07:34 am »
just great films but even better books. i cannot stand dubbing no matter how well done, it just ruins the movie for me.

That's how I feel, as well. Dubbing strips the actors/characters of a portion of their authenticity, IMO. I typically adjust to subtitles within the first ten mins, at most.