NAD D3020

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
NAD D3020
« on: 23 Sep 2013, 12:30 pm »
Let's start a discussion on a different piece than the TBI amp, OK?

Summary:  a throughly modern, highly competent piece that brings high-end performance down to size and price with lots of flexibility

Specifications:  $500 MSRP; 30 wpc at 4 ohms (but with 'real' muscle); analog, asynchronous USB, coax, optical, Apple combo optical/analog inputs; aptX Bluetooth capable; 24-bit/96kHz DAC; speaker (5-way), subwoofer, and headphone outputs; remote; 2-5/16" x 7-3/8" x 8-5/8" (vertical or horizontal placement); 12 volt trigger

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CDoQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fnadelectronics.com%2Fproducts%2Fdigital-music%2FD-3020-Hybrid-Digital-Amplifier&ei=BCdAUr_UM6SsyAHknoCQDw&usg=AFQjCNH9F11BZJbC_Prtrtron2gH8gbIoA&bvm=bv.52434380,d.aWc

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=12&ved=0CIUBEBYwCw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hifi.nl%2Fartikel%2F20986%2FReview-NAD-D-3020-Hybrid-Digital-Amplifier.html&ei=BCdAUr_UM6SsyAHknoCQDw&usg=AFQjCNFwzPbngRmXt6FHwUJJpYYCAMnEWw&bvm=bv.52434380,d.aWc

JLM

Re: NAD D3020
« Reply #1 on: 26 Sep 2013, 04:54 pm »
Well, at least this thread hasn't gotten derailed (yet).   :roll:

wushuliu

« Reply #2 on: 12 Oct 2013, 08:17 am »
That's an impressive review. Someone will definitely have to do a head to head with the TBI. The ability of the NAD to be used with any speaker regardless of impedance is a step above the TBI; I'm pretty sure the Millenia chip causes minor variations to speaker response based on impedance (anyone correct me if I'm wrong). Not to mention the NAD is designed (?) by Hypex whereas the TBI is really just an inexpensive TI chip meant for soundbars.

Things are getting interesting!

wushuliu

« Reply #3 on: 22 Oct 2013, 12:19 am »
Hm, the Stereophile review is next to useless. Reading between the lines they have nothing but good things to say and hint that it can be used with more expensive gear but the review is conspicuously vague. I take that as a good sign, usually they do that when they don't want to ruffle any feathers.

Freo-1

« Reply #4 on: 22 Oct 2013, 01:15 am »
That's an impressive review. Someone will definitely have to do a head to head with the TBI. The ability of the NAD to be used with any speaker regardless of impedance is a step above the TBI; I'm pretty sure the Millenia chip causes minor variations to speaker response based on impedance (anyone correct me if I'm wrong). Not to mention the NAD is designed (?) by Hypex whereas the TBI is really just an inexpensive TI chip meant for soundbars.

Things are getting interesting!

Has anybody actually heard one?    I'm currently auditioning the latest TBI amp, and while the revision does provide improvement, the TBI is not a good match for my current reference speakers (ATC SCM-19).   I'm sure it would work fine with something along the lines of a Zu Audio offering.  It would be interesting to compare the D3020.

rodge827

« Reply #5 on: 22 Oct 2013, 01:15 am »
Nice looking unit and features.
Any reviews or opinions about the headphone out?

apollophono

« Reply #6 on: 22 Oct 2013, 01:28 am »
The What HiFi review gives the nod to the Rotel RA-10 for
sound quality.  It give the NAD 3020 the nod for rhythmic
drive and dynamic subtlety.  I'm not a big fan of What
Hifi when it comes to review quality. 

Regardless one should listen to it with the ability to return
it if not satisfied.  It definitely has a lot of connection options.

wushuliu

« Reply #7 on: 22 Oct 2013, 01:32 am »
The What HiFi review gives the nod to the Rotel RA-10 for
sound quality.  It give the NAD 3020 the nod for rhythmic
drive and dynamic subtlety.  I'm not a big fan of What
Hifi when it comes to review quality. 

Regardless one should listen to it with the ability to return
it if not satisfied.  It definitely has a lot of connection options.

Yeah What Hifi has zero credibility in my book.

Hopefully somebody gets a hold of one of these soon!

rodge827

« Reply #8 on: 22 Oct 2013, 01:40 am »
Other than a few mentions I couldn't find anything substantial over on Head-Fi either.  :scratch:

OK place yer bets...who will be the first to roll this one out?  :green:

RDavidson

« Reply #9 on: 22 Oct 2013, 02:27 am »
Yeah What Hifi has zero credibility in my book.

Hopefully somebody gets a hold of one of these soon!

+1 in regard to What Hi-Fi's lack of credibility. Their review /rating system lacks contextual consistency. On top of this, I think it is idiotic how they will dock a former 5 star component's rating to 4 stars simply because newer components are available. It's ridiculous. To make my point I must ask : Is an original Shelby Cobra no longer great because Bugatti made the Veyron? I honestly think WHF exists to mess with the minds of the typical (perhaps British / European) consumer and keep people selling their old stuff and buying new stuff. I would only use WHF as general guide, then try and find in-depth reviews elsewhere.

Bemopti123

« Reply #10 on: 22 Oct 2013, 02:35 am »
Someone needs to order 1 from AudioAdvisor and to a home trial for 1 month and see whether all the hype is worth the soy ink it is printed on. 

kc8apf

• Are you sure what side of the glass you're on?
« Reply #11 on: 22 Oct 2013, 12:12 pm »
I picked one up to give my sister along with the speakers I'm building her.  I hooked it up to my office system briefly (Virtue One, NuForce uDac-2, Zaph Audio Hi-Vi B3S).  I didn't have time to do any A/B comparison but it sounded good.  That system usually has great imaging and that stayed with the D3020.  The controls are sleek but still quite nice to use.  The only annoying part was that it takes quite a while to turn on.  I might buy one to keep in there.

JLM

« Reply #12 on: 22 Oct 2013, 03:33 pm »
+1 in regard to What Hi-Fi's lack of credibility. Their review /rating system lacks contextual consistency. On top of this, I think it is idiotic how they will dock a former 5 star component's rating to 4 stars simply because newer components are available. It's ridiculous. To make my point I must ask : Is an original Shelby Cobra no longer great because Bugatti made the Veyron? I honestly think WHF exists to mess with the minds of the typical (perhaps British / European) consumer and keep people selling their old stuff and buying new stuff. I would only use WHF as general guide, then try and find in-depth reviews elsewhere.

Any review can only be used as a general guide, but more reviews - more guidance.

kc8apf.

Please clarify what you mean by 'controls are sleek but still quite nice to use' and 'it takes quite a while to turn on'.  TIA

kc8apf

• Are you sure what side of the glass you're on?
« Reply #13 on: 22 Oct 2013, 06:58 pm »
The power and source select buttons are touch-sensitive areas on a plastic surface on the top of the amp.  Often I find those unresponsive or otherwise annoying to use.  These seemed to respond to touches quickly.  The front knob also has a cheap appearance but has a weighted feel when turned.

It takes 10 seconds or so for the amp to turn on.  The power button changes color, then the front display turns on and does a self-test, _then_ the amp turns on.

JLM

« Reply #14 on: 22 Oct 2013, 08:41 pm »
Thanks   :thumb:

roscoe65

« Reply #15 on: 7 Mar 2015, 03:00 pm »
I have a D3020 and it is fantastic for what it is.  In fact, I would say that this $500 (retail) and a decent pair of $300 speakers will outperform a lot of older gear that cost a lot more.

Some key points:

1.  It is 30 watts, and speakers should be reasonably easy to drive.  I've used it with both Fostex-based Omega's and with Dynaco A25XL's with very good results.  A nice bookshelf or small tower would be perfect.  There is an optional 6dB bass boost at 80Hz that would work well with leaner sounding bookshelves.  It was perfect with the Omega's.

2.  The subwoofer output is actually a preamp output - full range.  That's good if you're using it to feed a power amp or using a subwoofer as a bass adder but not if you're looking to take some bass out of satellite speakers.

3.  You can change the default power saving features.  By default, the amp goes into power saving mode after a period of no signal.  You can change this so it is on all the time.

4.  The Bluetooth Aptx sounds very good.  While you need the sending device to be compatible to get the full benefits, it sounds better than any BT device I've heard.  With Tidal Lossless over BT, the systems sounds better than 98% of the audio systems out there.

5.  It has both USB and SPDIF inputs.  I use the former directly from a Mac (best sound) and the latter for listening to TV and other streaming devices.  I plug them into a Monoprice HDMI switch and use the Toslink output to the NAD.

My overall recommendation is that this is perhaps the single best introduction to high end audio for anyone.  The only things that would make it a bit better would be 1) a bit more power and 2) Airplay.  Both of these are addressed with the NAD D7050 at twice the price.  But at that price you should be looking at different HiFi brands as well (like Peachtree).