Looking for an affordable stereo subwoofer amp...

ohenry

Re: Looking for an affordable stereo subwoofer amp...
« Reply #20 on: 26 Jan 2018, 06:31 am »
Too bad the Daytons don't have high level inputs.  You might try a work around before giving them up.  For a trial, just run some zip cord from the Hegel's speaker terminals and convert that to line level by installing a 600 ohm resistor in series with the positive connections.  I usually do this at the RCA plug end and shrink wrap them.  That may be enough output to make the subwoofers sing and it's a cheap fix.  If there isn't enough gain, try a 330 ohm resistor.  I think I just used a 1 watt resistor, nothing fancy.  I do this with the Crown amps and they work well.

I use bananas for the sub connection and spades for the main speakers.  If it works for you, then upgrade the wire later.

I found getting the amplified signal reduced makes it easier to match the subs with the main speakers since the signature of the amp is passed on to the subwoofers as it is to the main speakers.  Maybe worth a try.   Good luck!

jk@home

« Reply #21 on: 26 Jan 2018, 01:03 pm »
Use Crown Drivecores for all my subs. A 1500 for a pair of sealed 12"ers, two 1500s, wired in mono, for a pair of IB manifolds (w/ two 15"ers in each), and in the HT system, two newer 2502s, wired in mono for two 18" Ultimax sealed subs.

macdane

« Reply #22 on: 26 Jan 2018, 01:12 pm »
For a trial, just run some zip cord from the Hegel's speaker terminals and convert that to line level by installing a 600 ohm resistor in series with the positive connections.  I usually do this at the RCA plug end and shrink wrap them.  That may be enough output to make the subwoofers sing and it's a cheap fix.  If there isn't enough gain, try a 330 ohm resistor.  I think I just used a 1 watt resistor, nothing fancy.  I do this with the Crown amps and they work well.

With my lack of technical knowledge and skill, this sounds like a "last resort" option for me. Since I can always fall back to my old amps and preamp, which work terrifically well, I'd probably do that before attempting something like this. But I definitely appreciate the input and the spirit of this!

Dane

macdane

« Reply #23 on: 26 Jan 2018, 01:14 pm »
Use Crown Drivecores for all my subs. A 1500 for a pair of sealed 12"ers, two 1500s, wired in mono, for a pair of IB manifolds (w/ two 15"ers in each), and in the HT system, two newer 2502s, wired in mono for two 18" Ultimax sealed subs.

Yep, plenty of people have vouched for the Crown amps and the XLS2502 is the one I'm looking at. The question is whether switching it over to 0.775V input sensitivity is likely to give me the bump I need for the subs to keep up with the Omegas?

Dane

ohenry

« Reply #24 on: 26 Jan 2018, 01:48 pm »
You'll like the XLS2502's.  I have five in that power level. Three 2500's and two 2502's.  I use those in three systems; four are bridged and one is alone.  They are great for subs and a bargain.  The 2502 is worth the added cost because the aesthetics are better and the input sensitivity adjustment is nice and may get you the bass you're seeking.  Those amps can put a death grip on the drivers and you'll notice less excursion and tighter bass.

The Dayton amps are no slouch, but the Crown amps make a difference for me.

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #25 on: 26 Jan 2018, 02:11 pm »
also take a look at the bash300, also available from part
partsexpress.  I believe it has low level pass through.  even if it doesn't,  I've had problems with Dayton plate amps

macdane

« Reply #26 on: 26 Jan 2018, 02:46 pm »
partsexpress.  I believe it has low level pass through.  even if it doesn't,  I've had problems with Dayton plate amps

Thanks rif, but I believe that’s a plate amp, which I don’t want to use because it’d require surgery on my subs. That’s one of the reasons the Crown appeals to me ... no sub modification necessary, and I can use it as a full range amp in another application if I choose.

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #27 on: 26 Jan 2018, 02:55 pm »
I just built a small separate enclosure for the plate amp.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #28 on: 26 Jan 2018, 04:19 pm »
  Previously owned Bryston, Krell or any quality used SS amp.

charles

neekomax

« Reply #29 on: 26 Jan 2018, 04:21 pm »

The subs in my speaker system use these plate amps (modified by the speaker designer). They're quite good, and have been reliable. Power to spare driving 8" long throw drivers.

macdane

« Reply #30 on: 26 Jan 2018, 04:22 pm »
I just built a small separate enclosure for the plate amp.

Right on, rif ... I'm just lazier than you  :wink:

macdane

« Reply #31 on: 26 Jan 2018, 04:26 pm »
Previously owned Bryston, Krell or any quality used SS amp.
The subs in my speaker system use these plate amps (modified by the speaker designer). They're quite good, and have been reliable. Power to spare driving 8" long throw drivers.

In any of those cases, though, I'm not sure more power alone is the answer ... I'm thinking I need the ability to increase the input sensitivity of the amp. The Crown has this feature, but I don't know if there's a way to determine whether it'll be enough prior to buying it.

Dane

RDavidson

« Reply #32 on: 26 Jan 2018, 04:27 pm »

As for the idea of using attenuation plugs, I'm having trouble getting my head around that. By attenuating the signal between the source and preamp, wouldn't that just preserve the gap between the top and bottom? If I could somehow insert them between the preamp and power amp sections of the Hegel, that would make sense to me. But doing it this way just seems like I'll be attenuating the entire signal — including the bass — only for the purpose of being able to turn it up more? Meanwhile, the exact same thing is happening to the signal heading for the Omegas.

Maybe this helps. I pulled up the owners manual for the Crown amp Louis suggested, and it shows an option to increase the input sensitivity (to 0.775V) for sources with inherently low output.

Thanks!
Dane

Doh! Yes, you're 100% right. The attenuators would decrease the total voltage gain. Not sure what I was thinking. Yes, for this idea to work, the attenuators would need to go inside the Hegel between the preamp section and amp section, but not affect the preamp outputs to the sub amps.

macdane

« Reply #33 on: 26 Jan 2018, 04:35 pm »
Doh! Yes, you're 100% right. The attenuators would decrease the total voltage gain. Not sure what I was thinking. Yes, for this idea to work, the attenuators would need to go inside the Hegel between the preamp section and amp section, but not affect the preamp outputs to the sub amps.

And THAT is something I'm not going to attempt LOL

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #34 on: 26 Jan 2018, 06:17 pm »
Put your Meier thing in between the Hegel's preout and the Dayton's input with the v/c down and slowly increase volume on the Prehead.

macdane

« Reply #35 on: 27 Jan 2018, 06:17 am »
Put your Meier thing in between the Hegel's preout and the Dayton's input with the v/c down and slowly increase volume on the Prehead.

This is certainly not what I'd consider an ideal long-term solution, but I like it! What are the chances of overloading the inputs of the Daytons (is that a thing?) while attempting to get the level of output I need?

Also, rather than maintain two separate threads I'll ask any interested parties to please mosey over here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=155277.msg1661689#msg1661689

Thanks!
Dane