What Amps are you using with Ellis Speakers

David Ellis

• http://www.ellisaudio.com
Re: What Amps are you using with Ellis Speakers
« Reply #220 on: 13 Jan 2008, 12:49 am »
Well Jim,

I am not sure my comments will be much help, but I will convey them in random order.

I really can't see anyone having good ears preferring my SE40SE over the AKSA LF100 amp in a blind test.  The LF100 has more information, and good information everywhere in the musical spectrum :thumb:.

HOWEVER, when I disconnected the LF100 and sent it to TonePubs and re-connected my SE40SE didn't lose anything in the musical experience :).  Thought the SE40SE lacks a bit of resolution, it has truly wonderful tonal quality.  I could easily live forever with my SE40SE.

I feel that perhaps I am becoming somewhat of a tube-guy.  I have to admit the LF100 DOES sound better, but my SE40SE sounds really good too.

I believe both of these amplifiers approach the realm of quality where a different product is merely different, and doesn't really get better.

I still would like to try a some DeHavilland 845 or Levinson 33 amps, so I can't comment on this flavor of amplifer in any form of reference.

I have also NOT tried a 2nd SE40SE amp in my system.

Over the years I have eventually learned that Jeff is right about sooo many things.  Having another amplifier is likely one of them.  Certainly I have recently learned that Accuton Drivers are... just as Jeff told me several years ago.

My inclination is to recommend that you remain happy with one very good amplifier.  However, this is easier said that done and I am not leading by example very well  :roll: :duh: .

I am sorry that I couldn't be of much help.