Bottlehead anyone?

steve f

Bottlehead anyone?
« on: 22 Jun 2013, 10:26 pm »
I've never had a chance to audition Bottlehead gear. I want to build a system for my wife's office. She wants a high quality system for playing at mostly background listening levels. I already own a great sounding amp that simply produces too much heat (Transcendent Sound SE-OTL) I tried to get a Music Reference EM-7 in kit form, but there hasn't been much interest by other audiophiles so I would have to wait months to possibly get a factory assembled one. I once owned a Decware amp, but it didn't work well in my system, and I had to sell it.
So please tell me about your experiences with the Bottle head single ended experimental amp. Thanks.

Steve

galyons

Re: Bottlehead anyone?
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jun 2013, 10:37 pm »
Well experience with the SEX, none, but I do have:
Paramour 2A3 Mono's
Paramour 45 Mono's
Seduction Phono
Foreplay I
Foreplay II
Quickie
CracK
Seduction Tapehead

They are all great little pieces of kit.  I am sure that the SEX is just as good.  Spend some time on the Bottlehead forum,http://www.bottlehead.com/smf/index.php, and you will likely get more info/opinion/feedback than you could possibly want.

Cheers,
Geary

InfernoSTi

« Reply #2 on: 22 Jun 2013, 11:50 pm »
I've got several Bottlehead amps and pre's (Crack, Stereomour, Paramount, Quickie, Submission) but not the SEX.  I believe you will be very satisfied with it to read what many have posted about their experiences, however.  There is certainly a "house sound" from Bottlehead that punches way above its weight, so to speak.  They are beautiful sounding amps...

John

steve f

« Reply #3 on: 23 Jun 2013, 04:48 am »
Geary & John,

Thanks for your replies. They seem to be well thought out and sourced products. Could you describe the "house sound" a bit? That would help me make a decision. Thanks again.

Steve

galyons

« Reply #4 on: 23 Jun 2013, 06:11 am »
House sound? Beats me! :oops:   Perhaps John is saying that there is great value in the products.  Which is very true!  You get far more sound quality than the price would suggest. Then, with some modest parts upgrading, you can continue to reap improvements.  The SEX is really nice and relatively inexpensive.  The Stereomour, at it's price point, which includes tubes, is a major bargain for a DHT SET.  But, quite honestly, I would make the same claim for all of the BH gear I own.

As you know iron is very important to amps.  The stock iron is good, plus you have the option to upgrade the  parafeed choke and OPT levels from Magnequest.

I can't think of much in the market, kit wise, that even comes close.

Cheers,
Geary

steve f

« Reply #5 on: 23 Jun 2013, 01:12 pm »
I'm a fan of very neutral sound. The term house sound kind of scared me. This is for a third system and mostly background music. If I go Bottlehead, I'll stay pretty basic at least for starters. I suppose its a good starting point.

Steve