How many here own a spl meter?

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
Re: How many here own a spl meter?
« Reply #20 on: 20 Jun 2013, 12:50 pm »
I have the Rat Shack meter and it is as good as the microphone that is built into it. In other words, it sucks. The moral of the story here is that cheap meters bring cheap responses, nothing accurate, at all. I would certainly not base any conclusions for system evaluations based on the responses from this meter.

Wayner

If you use something like REW, there is a plug-in file that can be used to offset the inaccuracies of the RS meter.  Is it perfect?  No.  But, be realistic. When doing measurements to try to improve things in a room via treatment/placement, you're not looking for +/1 db accuracy. You're looking for general trends and relative change.  Now, if you're looking to measure a speaker response, then absolutely, you need something much more accurate.

Bryan

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #21 on: 21 Jun 2013, 09:31 am »
I think I see what JLM is saying.....
If you tune the room with nobody in it, then when you do introduce a 200 pound watery bag of manliness in the listening chair, then you've changed those numbers you just fine tuned.

Yeah, what he said.

Again the thread has gotten off message (the need to basically know how loud/deep you really hear in assessing the need for wattage vs. speaker efficiency).

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #22 on: 21 Jun 2013, 12:20 pm »
............... how loud/deep you really hear in assessing the need for wattage vs. speaker efficiency).
I'm currently listening near-field to my cheapo PC speakers. Got some Bob Acri "Sweet Georgia Brown" at 75-80 dB.
Not sure the SPL of the speakers. They don't publish those numbers when your speakers cost $25.  :oops:

I'd say that when I listen to my main system (speakers are 96SPL), I'd tack on another 10dB to the volume.
For Home Theater, maybe a touch more when I'm watching a "blow em up" type movie. The LFE would peak at over 100, I'm sure (although it's been a while since I watched a movie with the SPL meter by my side).

Hopefully that answers your question and gets us back on track.

Bob

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #23 on: 21 Jun 2013, 12:36 pm »
7:30 AM here and listening to Mozart Piano quartets at 53 to 67Db 'C' weighted (Radio Shack digital meter)

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #24 on: 21 Jun 2013, 01:33 pm »
............... 'C' weighted (Radio Shack digital meter)
Oh yea, I forgot that part.....me too.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #25 on: 21 Jun 2013, 02:55 pm »
I've borrowed one, it was interesting. Also, necessary... years ago I was living in a house converted to apartments and the slumlord didn't insulate walls between units. I got noise complaints and he threatened to evict me, but I told him I had a sound meter and my music was softer than normal conversation... told him to get over here and insulate your walls otherwise both of our units would stop paying rent and file a complaint with the city.  :D

jeffreyfranz

• LOW HEAT
« Reply #26 on: 21 Jun 2013, 03:16 pm »
me

nickd

« Reply #27 on: 21 Jun 2013, 03:31 pm »
a 200 pound watery bag of manliness in the listening chair,
:lol: :lol: :lol:
226 lb watery bag of manliness here. (on a good day)
I wonder if I create a bit of 80 HZ suckout due to water resonance and couch foam compression.
 :lol:
Priceless Bob,

Thanks for keeping it all in perspective.
I use my "toy" I phone app now. The I pad is busy with the cool spectrum analyzer. :thumb:

HsvHeelFan

« Reply #28 on: 21 Jun 2013, 03:43 pm »
So what does the circle consider to be an "acceptable" spl meter?

What calibrated microphone should be used? 

Any recommendations?

HsvHeelFan

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #29 on: 21 Jun 2013, 05:44 pm »
Nick, I just got checked, and the Wellness gals told me I was 230 pounds.
Loos like we'd have the same suck-out, you and I.

Not sure how we can use that information, but it's cool to chat about.   :lol:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #30 on: 21 Jun 2013, 10:52 pm »
At most audiofests I've attended the music was running at an average of about 85 dB.  Note again that most audiophiles overestimate how loud their music is.

Public Service Warning:  Extended exposure (daily for years) to 85 dB will result in permanent hearing loss (true of 17% of all adults under age 69 in the U.S.) and possible tinnitus. 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #31 on: 21 Jun 2013, 10:57 pm »
I use a Minipa:

jsm71

« Reply #32 on: 8 Jul 2013, 05:53 pm »
JLM's question I believe is can a lower powered (Decware) amp get you to a listening level that satisfies?  He further contends that most overestimate the levels that they listen at.  I agree with that contention.   I know that in my small and quiet listening room when I get near 80db of volume it has reached the "hey, turn that down" level and going higher is certainly not adding any more quality to the sound.  My speakers like most are capable of over 100dB, but why go there?

I think reaching peak quality of sound is more important than the absolute reading on the SPL meter.  Once you have hit the sweet spot with your amp and the frequency balance has bloomed you may enjoy but don't need more volume.  I have today an extremely powerful SS amp that is overkill for my current speakers, one that I bought originally during my Magnepan years.  I have to regrettably get that amp "going" before the sound blooms which takes me out of quiet listening ability.   At lower levels with this amp the sound is thin.  That got me thinking about low powered tube amps.

I had the pleasure of trying a friend's Decware Zen Torii MK3 (25 class A watts/ch) with my current setup and despite the fact that my speakers are only 87db sensitive they are easy to drive and the Torii amp presented fully bloomed sound at very low listening levels.  The sound was so much more seductive than my SS amp that I knew I was on to something.  Better and full sound with amazing dynamics at lower volume levels.  Wow!  I was also able to crank it to levels that exceeded where I care to listen at - still with perfect sound balance.  Going above that and the amp did indeed start to complain.   I don't care that my speakers will reach higher volume that this amp will support.  I want to preserve my hearing anyway.  I bought the amp and I am currently on the build waiting list.   

So what's the point?  For me this 25 watt amp even with average sensitivity speakers will let me play either softly with FULL fidelity or as loudly as I wish, but not at hearing damage levels.   Reaching maximum sound quality early as you raise the volume is the point.   You want to leave some room for dynamics.

Whatever amp you own will have a level where the real magic starts to happen.  If that doesn't happen untill you hit 80 or 90db, well then you probably need to own a SPL meter to see if you are hitting dangerous health levels.  If your amp can bloom at much lower volumes, SPL may be acedemic.