GREAT MINI REVIEW ON HOYT-BEDFORD TYPE 1.5 SPEAKERS

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
GREAT MINI REVIEW ON HOYT-BEDFORD TYPE 1.5 SPEAKERS
« on: 13 Jun 2013, 12:58 am »
James works in a high end Audio Store in a major Canadian city.  Ever since I have known him he has worked in this store which sells the likes of Magico speakers etc.  James has always been a very level headed, solid, professional individual.  He became interested in single driver speakers awhile back and lately bought a pair of Hoyt-Bedford Type 1.5s.  Like a good reviewer he took his time to evaluate the speakers with different equipment, and close to two months after receiving the speakers he wrote to me the following.

Hi Rob,

So here goes; The Hoyt Bedford 1.5s are probably the most delightful anomaly I have ever encountered!  They are at once warmly coloured sounding, and the most ruthlessly revealing speaker I have heard in recent memory.  I don't think there's much of a secret to getting great sound from a pair of Hoyt 1.5s, rather you just find your favourite sounding amplifier, regardless of power and, as I found out, regardless of price, and have at 'er.  One of the most pleasant surprises was how even and articulate these speakers sounded with a basic Marantz AV receiver.  But nothing really prepared me for the sound quality I achieved by pairing the Hoyt 1.5 with a Naim SuperNait! Phenomenal base and stunning tone!

There is really only one problem you are presented with the Hoyt Bedford 1.5, well two actually; 1) keep them away from side walls!, 2) There are very few recordings of sufficient quality for the 1.5s to sound their best. If you want to hear just how compressed and flat your favourite pop recordings are, then the 1.5 is the perfect speaker for you, but cue up, say, Joshua Redman's excellent "Freedom In the Groove" album, or really anything from the ECM label, and the ensuing results are staggering.  Certainly there are no other speakers near this price point capable of this level of realism.  So, not a loudspeaker for the casual listener, I suppose.

One other item that really does need mention is the finish.  Again, there just aren't any other speakers finished to this degree of excellence at this price point.  Maybe you can get some nice cabinets out of China but take a closer look and you'll see some compromises.  It would seem that at Hoyt Bedford (and Omega for that matter) build quality need not make concessions to economy. Perhaps the only compromise to be made is in regard to Louis Chochos' take home pay!

So, for some, the 1.5 is an imperfect speaker. For others, who maybe know what they're doing, the 1.5 is a blessing.  For me, well, they're just a blast, and a learning experience as well.

Thanks again Rob!