Mike: Upgrade for the SE-2 ?

mnantel

« on: 12 Jul 2004, 06:54 pm »
Hi Mike,

I bought the plans for the SE-2 a while ago (I'm from MTL, Quebec. might remember me as I did call you once or twice to discuss the xover schematics).

I was wondering: could it be possible to reuse the drivers I have in the SE-2 and build floorstanding speakers? Floorstanders, with the volume of the box, would be much louder wouldn't they? I'm trying to get somewhat of a louder system, but I still want to DIMS (DoItMySelf).

I'm sure it's not exactly straightforward. I would be willing to pay for good plans, if they would generate something that would be louder using pretty much the same drivers as I have right now.

If you don't have an answer, can you perhaps mention somewhere I could buy plans for such a system?

mnantel

Clarification
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jul 2004, 01:00 am »
Hey Mike,

Let me make it somewhat clearer: I need a pair of speaker that will play the Metallica / ACDC type of music real well. I want to feel the bass. I find that right now with the SE-2 designed as the specs lifted 24 inch using floor stands, they're kind of leaving me on my appetite. Don't get me wrong, they play Loreena McKennit real well (my sister commented on that).

I'd be willing to pay for a plan in which I could reuse my SE-2 drivers (the 4 louds and the 2 tweeters) and make a louder system. I'm sure others would also!

Thanks in advance!
Mat

Shamrock Audio

« Reply #2 on: 13 Jul 2004, 06:36 am »
Hi Mat,

Perhaps you might find something like an Eminence Beta 15CX sufficiently loud enough.

http://editweb.iglou.com/eminence/eminence/pages/products02/speakers/beta15cx.htm

Combine that with the PSD2002 Compression Driver:

http://editweb.iglou.com/eminence/eminence/pages/products02/hf/psd2002.htm

with the PXB2:1k6 crossover:

http://editweb.iglou.com/eminence/eminence/pages/products02/hf/crossover.htm

and I think you'll be on your way.

Good luck  :mrgreen:

mnantel

Umm
« Reply #3 on: 13 Jul 2004, 11:21 am »
Hey Mike,

Well, although this sounds like something "Loud", I would still need to design a cabinet for this.

For a person with absolutely no knowledge of sound / cabinet drawing, is it possible to draw a cabinet FROM the desired speaker specs or is it the other way around?

Thanks!

mnantel

Something I found, is this possible?
« Reply #4 on: 13 Jul 2004, 12:12 pm »
Hey Mike,

More clarifications again. Madisound has drawings for something called the "Thor T-Line" that are made of Seas speakers. The speakers appear to be arranged in an MTM configuration, so I'm ok with the number of speakers.

I however doubt that the parameters of my Vifas will match the expensive Seas (from what I can tell, there is 900$ worth of woofers and tweeters in their kit, not including electronics).

Perhaps you can give me advice since the plans are all there? Can I reuse my Vifa speakers? How much would you charge to alter those plans for Vifa speakers? I think Vifas are good, and I don't believe in spending money on more expensive drivers. Heck, what would happen if I were to just build the enclosures and retrofit my drivers in them? Would it sound horrible?

Pardon my ignorance, I realize this is beginner talk...

Shamrock Audio

« Reply #5 on: 13 Jul 2004, 08:17 pm »
Mat,

I am not in the habit of critiquing products made by others. Perhaps you should ask on the Madisound board about their offerings. I'm sure that someone there would be able to advise you based on their direct experience with that particular speaker.

As for the SE-2 (or any other speaker for that matter), a bigger box (in and of itself), will not do what you hope it will - make the speaker play louder.

If the SE-2 doesn't play loud enough for you, the best solution is to find something that will. While I hope that you have enjoyed building and listening to the SE-2, I completely understand if it no longer mets your needs.