AVP-18

nuforce-casey

• Industry Participant
Re: AVP-18
« Reply #60 on: 7 Mar 2014, 06:35 pm »
Let's do this:  For the subwoofer, you can set 10-1000 Hz as the crossover point.

ricardojoa

« Reply #61 on: 7 Mar 2014, 07:32 pm »
Hi nuforce casey, thank you and i appreciated your response.
Unfortunetely, it doesnt answer my simple question. In fact, i thought those responses were blantly throw out.
I guess i will shoot nuforce an email ragarding my particular question. For now i guess the lowest point for the HP would be 10 hz, that make it a lot of sense. :roll:

John Casler

« Reply #62 on: 9 Mar 2014, 10:09 pm »

Hi,
thanks for the response.
Im not getting the HP crossover though. The minimum is 1Khz? Im kinda lost, i thought it would go down to 50 or 40 HZ?

In the General Speaker/Sub set up the SUB Low Pass starts at 40Hz and then goes up in 5Hz steps.

If you employ the PEQ Equalizer you can, as Casey stated go as low as 10Hz.

ricardojoa

« Reply #63 on: 10 Mar 2014, 03:27 pm »
In the General Speaker/Sub set up the SUB Low Pass starts at 40Hz and then goes up in 5Hz steps.

If you employ the PEQ Equalizer you can, as Casey stated go as low as 10Hz.

Hi John, thanks for the response. I was actually asking on my post for the lowest point for the high pass, thats why i got confused with what casey replied.  If the sub lowest crossover is at 40hz, that should imply that the lowest high pass is 40hz as well.

Gaara

« Reply #64 on: 10 Mar 2014, 04:27 pm »
Hi Guys,

Interested in the AVP-18 and had a handfull of questions:

• What is the max volume output of the AVP-18 in db? (like 0db, +10db, etc)
  • Is the volume jumps 1/2db or 1db with each click of the remote?
  • What precision level is there when setting the level of each speaker?
  • Can you dim the front display?

Thanks,

James

ricardojoa

« Reply #65 on: 10 Mar 2014, 04:43 pm »
Just got the unit but havent made any connection yet.
Will let you know once i have them hooked up.

John Casler

« Reply #66 on: 10 Mar 2014, 09:28 pm »
Hi John, thanks for the response. I was actually asking on my post for the lowest point for the high pass, thats why i got confused with what casey replied.  If the sub lowest crossover is at 40hz, that should imply that the lowest high pass is 40hz as well.

With the AVP-18 you can set the low pass in the speaker menu at 40Hz up.  This is how most would do it, in the Speaker Set Up Menu.  This then would send 40Hz and up to the other speakers.

Or you can do as Casey was talking about and set the sub and speakers via the PEQ (Parametric Equalizer) to other settings as low as 10Hz.

In general, the most simple method is the Speaker Set Up menu, but for those with a trusty Sound Pressure Meter and Frequency Response Gear you can delve into the PEQ.

nuforce-casey

• Industry Participant
« Reply #67 on: 10 Mar 2014, 11:31 pm »
Hi Guys,

Maximum output is 4.5Vrms, which is about 13dBV or 15dBU.   The volume steps are in 0.5dB, same as in level settings. There is a dim control on the remote to dim the front display.

Gaara

« Reply #68 on: 11 Mar 2014, 10:16 am »
Thanks for the info Casey.

ricardojoa, let us know your thoughts on the unit to.  Still on the fence, and more feedback is always a plus.

ricardojoa

« Reply #69 on: 11 Mar 2014, 05:07 pm »
Hi Guys,

Thanks,

James

James, the volume control on the panel goes from 0-80 db, with 0.5 increaments.
Each speaker can set .0.5db level (balance).
You can dim on the remote control.

So far i like how the unit function except that while i was playing with the PEQ, the unit froze twice, so i needed to power off and restart the unit. The unit loads pretty quick, but i found when listen to music, you seem to hear a very short pause. Seems like the unit a constantly scan for signal. Overall, even without the proper manual, it is actually not that hard to navigate thru the menu.
Another problem is that, if the remote control is mulfunction, you will never get to set up menu to work at all, so hopefully these remote control will last.

I got the unit because of the DSP and peq function. I have it pair with the STA 100 amps, and so far i have found them to be a step up over my avr set up. Overal clarity is enhanced, the imaging is more precise and i could hear more of the subtle nuances. The sub also seems to play punchier,not sure how it relate to the avp though.
Hope that helps.

nuforce-casey

• Industry Participant
« Reply #70 on: 11 Mar 2014, 11:45 pm »

So far i like how the unit function except that while i was playing with the PEQ, the unit froze twice, so i needed to power off and restart the unit. The unit loads pretty quick, but i found when listen to music, you seem to hear a very short pause. Seems like the unit a constantly scan for signal. Overall, even without the proper manual, it is actually not that hard to navigate thru the menu.
Another problem is that, if the remote control is mulfunction, you will never get to set up menu to work at all, so hopefully these remote control will last.

I got the unit because of the DSP and peq function. I have it pair with the STA 100 amps, and so far i have found them to be a step up over my avr set up. Overal clarity is enhanced, the imaging is more precise and i could hear more of the subtle nuances. The sub also seems to play punchier,not sure how it relate to the avp though.
Hope that helps.

Please download and update with the latest firmware, which got rid of all the bugs.

Gaara

« Reply #71 on: 11 Mar 2014, 11:53 pm »
James, the volume control on the panel goes from 0-80 db, with 0.5 increaments.
Each speaker can set .0.5db level (balance).
You can dim on the remote control.

Hope that helps.

ricardojoa,

Thanks for the feedback it definitely helps.  Sounds like the Outlaw 975 that I am currently using with the pauses, takes about 3 seconds for it to lock onto a signal, compared to <1 for the Marantz I also have.

ricardojoa

« Reply #72 on: 12 Mar 2014, 01:07 am »
Please download and update with the latest firmware, which got rid of all the bugs.

Thanks Casey
There are a number of update and files. Im guessing i should download the upgrade guide pdf file, the upgrade install file, and the latest firmware?

ricardojoa

« Reply #73 on: 12 Mar 2014, 01:09 am »
ricardojoa,

Thanks for the feedback it definitely helps.  Sounds like the Outlaw 975 that I am currently using with the pauses, takes about 3 seconds for it to lock onto a signal, compared to <1 for the Marantz I also have.
Im not sure how long it pauses but it is no where near 1 second. It's actually a very slight paused which you noticed but not really a concern at all, and that depends on how the CD is recorded.

Gaara

« Reply #74 on: 15 Mar 2014, 05:30 pm »
Thanks for all the feedback, I decided to try one in my system.  Will see how it does vs an Outlaw 975 and Marantz AV7005.

« Last Edit: 16 Mar 2014, 10:25 am by Gaara »

Gaara

« Reply #75 on: 18 Mar 2014, 12:52 pm »
Well I got a chance to listen a good amount to all three this weekend, and the Marantz and Outlaw will soon be looking for a new home.  The Nuforce bested the other two for sound quality and has all the features I need.  Will give a little more detail tonight or tomorrow.

ziv

« Reply #76 on: 22 Mar 2014, 07:48 am »
I noticed something weird about "direct" mode. When it is used, redirection of "small" speakers on the LFE channel is disabled but the crossover frequency filtering is still performed.

I was expecting that level and distance settings where still in use but not this kind of filtering. This was not the case on all other brands of A/V receivers I have previously used.

Why do I need that ?

As the AVP-18 has no heaphone amp, I am using an external headphone amp. When I want to use it, I switch off the power amp for the speakers and connect the headphone amp on the front L/R line outs of the AVP-18. As you can see, I must also reconfigure my front speakers on "large" mode in order to have an unfiltered signal on the line outs.

Also, as I am not using the back channels, it would be a nice to have to be able to duplicate the front signal on the back output (this could also be used for an A/B speakers configuration, or bi-amping...).

nuforce-casey

• Industry Participant
« Reply #77 on: 25 Mar 2014, 08:48 pm »
Hi,
In 'Direct' mode, we do not process the main channels, so the small speakers revert to 'Large' (i.e. full-range no processing), however, due to customer still wanting the subwoofer working, we keep the subwoofer working with the crossover frequency remained the same.

ziv

« Reply #78 on: 25 Mar 2014, 10:27 pm »
Hi,

Thank you for answering.

However, I indeed did the test with the latest AVP-18 firmware (1.52.02.50) and found out that it was not the case. "Small" front speakers remain "small" and are still high-pass filtered according to the configured crossover frequency.

However, the remaining bass signal (low-pass filtered from the "small" main speakers) is not sent to the sub channel (this was expected).

It is quite easy to figure it out using a high crossover frequency (250Hz) and configure the main speakers alternatively in "small" and "large" and switch to direct mode. You will hear a difference in bass between these two configurations that should not sound different in direct mode.

According to what you think is the right behavior (I have the same expectations, it seems: no EQ, no filtering), it may be a bug so it is worth a try to confirm it.

Camembert

« Reply #79 on: 26 Mar 2014, 03:23 am »
Dear all, here are my initial experiences and a few questions about the AVP-18.

The situation was: I listen in stereo, and my amplifier combo was a vintage yet refurbished (new capacitors, better opamps) Quad 44 & 405-2 set. DIY speakers based on Beyma (European brand, similar to professional JBL etc) coaxial drivers. The system is used for both music and video, and music quality is important. The 44 pre-amp, while I love it dearly, was getting really geriatric with a channel regularly dropping. And it was getting annoying to connect all those digital sources.
It was not easy to find a reasonably priced pre-amplifier that could handle all the digital sources and still sound very good for music. The AVP-18 provided exactly that. My sources are the Oppo BDP-103D, bought together with the NuForce, it is a great one box solution; and also the Apple TV. Cabling in HDMI. Only analog cable is a stereo cable towards the Quad power amp.

It sounds really good. I tried a few high resolution music files and they sound pristine, not the electronic sound of affordable AV gear. Compared to my old Quad 44 pre-amp, it is as if a curtain has been lifted.

Now my questions:

- Is there a list of exact improvements with in all the firmware updates? MyNuforce came with 1.52.something and it is for me a huge pain to update the firmware: my computer is a desktop mac without windows emulation and my work laptop is locked down. Meaning, I will have to ask someone else's pc for the upgrade process. Hence it would be good to see if an upgrade would matter. A recommendation is to make it possible to have simple usb memory stick upgrades, like it is possible with many devices.

- Is there an audible difference between hdmi and optical or coaxial? I read that hdmi introduces more jitter, but I am not sure if there would be any audible difference. It sounds awesome as is.

- For stereo, I selected large front speakers and all the other speakers off. Still the autoeq obviously searched the other channels during set up. Did I do it right? I also notice that the autoeq result is quite subtle, maximum resulting corrections are around 1.5 db. Years ago I borrowed a Behringer digital eq to experiment with and it made a bigger (too big in fact) impact on the sound. Still I would expect more than 1.5 db required at some frequencies. So, here again, did I do it right?

cheers and looking forward to any insights!