Netflix: What to watch?

brother love

Re: Netflix: What to watch?
« Reply #320 on: 29 Mar 2017, 10:51 pm »

A Series of Unfortunate Events

This series is hard to binge watch, each episode is more depressing than the last, I can only get through one at a time. I love it!
The A-List actors include Neil Patrick Harris as Count Olaf and Joan Cusack as Justice Strauss in a hyper-real Gothic production with plenty of dark, dark humor.
 :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

The wife & I watched Season 1 recently. It was quite good. Neil Patrick Harris was a hoot playing Count Olaf (better than Jim Carrey's effort in the movie version IMO). This is a Barry Sonnenfeld production & has that "Pushing Daisies" fantasy feel to it.

Better Call Saul Season 2 is now available for streaming. We really enjoyed Season 1.

soundbitten1

« Reply #321 on: 29 Mar 2017, 11:41 pm »

ajzepp

« Reply #322 on: 5 Apr 2017, 10:35 am »
I typically wouldn't even bother with a show like this, but I just finished season 2 of "Love" on netflix. I like shows where the characters elicit some sort of emotion or reaction in me, and the characters in this show do in a big way. It's pretty well-written, the episodes go down quick and easy, and it's a pretty fun ride. I'm really looking forward to s3.

Also, speaking of shows I never would have expected to watch, "13 Reasons Why" looked to me that it was more for kids/teenagers. But it deals with some themes that can apply to people of all ages, and the story is quite compelling. I'm on ep 5 of this one, and I have to say it's got my attention.

Saw some of you guys mention Goliath and Black Mirror...two shows I really enjoyed, with Mirror being one of the most fascinating shows I've ever seen. There aren't many episodes, but each one is almost like a mini-movie. I binged on season 3 in a big way. Can't wait for more!

I have to admit, both Netflix and Amazon have done a pretty solid job with the original programming (including those series they didn't produce, but purchased and marketed as "originals"). I dont even watch network (ABC, NBC, etc) shows...I watch cable shows occasionally...but these days I'd say I watch quite a LOT of shows on Netflix and Amazon. Sneaky Pete just came to mind as another good one (Amazon). Lots of good stuff these days.

stlrman

« Reply #323 on: 5 Apr 2017, 04:34 pm »
Ajzeep,
Love !!!i Binged season 2 in just a few days . Love it !!
Have you tried the series Flaked? I enjoyed that one .
Watching season 2 of Better Call Saul an off shoot of Breaking Bad .
Did you watch Bloodline ? Two seasons of near perfection!!
Do you like documentaries? Check out Chef's Table .
I loved Fargo the series!!

Randy

« Reply #324 on: 5 Apr 2017, 09:50 pm »
I think you have to retrain your TV viewing habits. Find a few Netflix series you like to get the ball rolling.

So little time. I've watched some episodes of Time Team on Acorn via the Roku. I'm an British history buff, but TV takes time away from music and books. I like those Amazing Race reruns on Hulu and rewatched that AMC show "Preacher" or is it "The Preacher" since I missed the final episodes when it ran. I shouldn't have bothered since I was hugely disappointed with how it ended. Very poor, after a generally well done series until then.

A series I haven't watched is the "Series of Unfortunate Events." Maybe I should since my niece, a high powered book publisher and editor at Harper Collins in NY named Katherine Tegen was the author's editor for that series. She was probably involved in the TV production since that was added to her duties a few years ago. She was also publisher and editor of the books of author Roth, Divergent, etc.
« Last Edit: 7 Apr 2017, 10:00 pm by Randy »

ajzepp

« Reply #325 on: 6 Apr 2017, 01:22 am »
Ajzeep,

I was shocked how fast I went through s2 of Love...I still can't figure out why I like that show so much, but I do lol

Haven't seen Flaked yet but will check it out. BCS, Bloodline and Fargo...loved all of 'em. Can't wait for Fargo s3 here shortly

WireNut

« Reply #326 on: 6 Apr 2017, 04:36 am »
Ajzeep,

I was shocked how fast I went through s2 of Love...I still can't figure out why I like that show so much, but I do lol

Haven't seen Flaked yet but will check it out. BCS, Bloodline and Fargo...loved all of 'em. Can't wait for Fargo s3 here shortly

I was all excited to watch Fargo on Netflix last night and it's not on netflix ????

md92468

« Reply #327 on: 6 Apr 2017, 04:43 am »
Season 3 f Chef's Table !! :thumb:
Just a spectacular series. Call yourself a foodie or aspiring chef ? , and you have never seen this documentary?
Wow !! Your missing out !!
Nominated for 6 emmys's .
I've been moved to tears on many of the episodes. The food , stories , etc . , are that moving !!

Season 3, episode 1, was particularly amazing...a Korean monk cooking at her monastery. Magical.

stlrman

« Reply #328 on: 17 Apr 2017, 12:26 pm »
Watched Louie C.K. new special, 2017. Wow! This one is darker and more cynical than his normal dark and cynical humor. He starts out with why he loves abortion, goes into beheadings etc...   That said, I guess I have a sick sense of humor because I loved it.  If you like Louie this is a must see stand up special. This is some edgy shit here, NOT for the faint of heart. Highly recommended.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #329 on: 17 Apr 2017, 12:53 pm »
One of the best shows I've ever seen on Netflix is RAKE, an Australian comedy/drama about a barrister of mixed repute who is surrounded by a fabulously complicated and peculiar cast of characters. Richard Roxburgh deserves a basketful of awards for his portrayal of Cleaver Greene, the lead character. Very sophisticated but raunchy. Nothing else like it in my experience. Stimulating.

stlrman

« Reply #330 on: 19 Apr 2017, 03:42 pm »
Thanks , I look forward to checking out Rake!!

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #331 on: 19 Apr 2017, 08:47 pm »
Watched Louie C.K. new special, 2017. Wow! This one is darker and more cynical than his normal dark and cynical humor. He starts out with why he loves abortion, goes into beheadings etc...   That said, I guess I have a sick sense of humor because I loved it.  If you like Louie this is a must see stand up special. This is some edgy shit here, NOT for the faint of heart. Highly recommended.

This is really CK at his best doing what he does best. Highly recommended.

wushuliu

« Reply #332 on: 19 Apr 2017, 10:22 pm »
Degrassi next class. Yeah, you heard me.
Happy new year. Crazy Bollywood fun.
Kevin Hart what now. I didn't care it. Bland.

Did I already mention there's a massive shaw Bros kung-fu collection on Amazon prime? Stunning quality too.

ajzepp

« Reply #333 on: 25 Apr 2017, 08:02 pm »
One of the best shows I've ever seen on Netflix is RAKE, an Australian comedy/drama about a barrister of mixed repute who is surrounded by a fabulously complicated and peculiar cast of characters. Richard Roxburgh deserves a basketful of awards for his portrayal of Cleaver Greene, the lead character. Very sophisticated but raunchy. Nothing else like it in my experience. Stimulating.

I've had good results with Aussie films and tv, as well. "These Final Hours" was one of the most entertaining apocalyptic films I've ever seen, and I had a lot of fun with the series "Glitch".

mcgsxr

« Reply #334 on: 25 Apr 2017, 08:09 pm »
Finally got around to Longmire.  Once it hits stride (late S2 and all of S3) I think it is quite good.

soundbitten1

« Reply #335 on: 1 May 2017, 01:30 am »

Great stuff.   :thumb:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #336 on: 1 May 2017, 03:06 am »
My wife discovered "Frankie and Grace" and is insisting we watch it.  3 whole seasons worth.  Oh dear god, shoot me now.

wushuliu

« Reply #337 on: 1 May 2017, 01:25 pm »
My wife discovered "Frankie and Grace" and is insisting we watch it.  3 whole seasons worth.  Oh dear god, shoot me now.

LOL. Yeah. My gf loves that show. It's cute but I'm definitely not the target demo...

stlrman

« Reply #338 on: 10 May 2017, 12:00 pm »
Here is one for the whole family : and it's fun !!!
Brain Games
Short episodes, a few seasons to enjoy.  Try a few . My 10 year old loves these too.

"This Emmy-nominated series is designed to mess with the ultimate supercomputer. Host Jason Silva reveals how brains process information related to topics like stress, addiction, competition, food, trust and language. Interactive games and hidden-camera experiments capture hilarious and shocking results, and viewers get real-world takeaways -- how to improve memory, get a better night's sleep, make more money -- to use in everyday situations."

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #339 on: 10 May 2017, 01:57 pm »
The Last Kingdom is not bad.