$50 Three Tube Preamp

wired4sound

Re: $50 Three Tube Preamp
« Reply #20 on: 26 Jan 2013, 09:05 pm »
Poultrygeist, would you mind taking a pic as to how the transformer is wired to the preamp and to AC wire? I need a tube buffer and would like to try this one. According to one (and only) review on Amazon, you can get it fryed if the wiring is incorrect  :scratch:. I am a newbie on DIY, but if there is a pic I can follow.
Thanks! 

If they're fake then I like the way fake sounds :D

Poultrygeist

« Reply #21 on: 26 Jan 2013, 10:38 pm »
The two tube version is called the Guanzo. Mine is the newer version with the rectifier tube.

wired4,

Now this thing has gain which perhaps sets it apart from a tube buffer.

Anyway if you get the 110v tranny like mine it will come with 2 red wires on one side and 4 blue and 1 black on the other.

Using this picture as a guide the red wires ( 110v source ) will be on your left and all the others on the right. The last blue wire at the very rear of the tranny goes to the first screw down ( AC 6.3 ) at the front of the preamp ( volume control front ) and the 2nd from the rear goes to the 2nd screw down ( also AC 6.3 ) from the front and so on. Following this sequence the black wire will end up connected to the screw down marked GND.

Now if you get a tranny with something other than 4 blue wires I might not be of much help. The pictures on ebay show 220 transformers and the 2 tube version also has a different tranny. I'd play it safe and order from the guy on my link.

persisting1

« Reply #22 on: 26 Jan 2013, 10:43 pm »
Anyone know of a good C&C multi input pre like these? Passive or powered.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #23 on: 28 Jan 2013, 10:56 pm »
What's C&C ?

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #24 on: 29 Jan 2013, 04:26 am »
What's C&C ?

You're there.  And here.

persisting1

« Reply #25 on: 29 Jan 2013, 06:45 am »

Poultrygeist

« Reply #26 on: 29 Jan 2013, 01:49 pm »
Anyone know of a good C&C multi input pre like these? Passive or powered.

I use a Niles AXP-1 auxiliary input selector with this preamp but any of the inexpensive AV input switchers work just as well.

No need to pay extra money for a preamp with multiple inputs if you're C&C like me. :green:

Poultrygeist

« Reply #27 on: 29 Jan 2013, 02:41 pm »
Here's a connection chart for this preamp:

Blue #1 to AC6.3 #5
Blue #2 to AC6.3 #4
Blue #3 to AC160v #3
Black #4 to GND #2
Blue #5 to AC160v #1

« Last Edit: 29 Jan 2013, 06:46 pm by Poultrygeist »

Poultrygeist

« Reply #28 on: 29 Jan 2013, 02:47 pm »
Here is the $50 preamp paired with the C&C Sure TK2050/Meanwell PS ( under $100 )

Poultrygeist

« Reply #29 on: 29 Jan 2013, 02:53 pm »
The Niles input switcher is on the far left.

underdawg

• Industry Participant
« Reply #30 on: 29 Jan 2013, 03:13 pm »
very nice work gentleman

Poultrygeist

« Reply #31 on: 29 Jan 2013, 06:43 pm »
Thanks underdawg,

This is what I'm using with the $50 preamp - more cheap and cheerful stuff I keep cobbling together.

persisting1

« Reply #32 on: 29 Jan 2013, 07:54 pm »

I use a Niles AXP-1 auxiliary input selector with this preamp but any of the inexpensive AV input switchers work just as well.

No need to pay extra money for a preamp with multiple inputs if you're C&C like me. :green:

Nice find. Thanks  :thumb:

persisting1

« Reply #33 on: 29 Jan 2013, 08:21 pm »
Sorry for the highjack, but this input selector looks pretty good.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #34 on: 29 Jan 2013, 08:57 pm »
Yes it does.

vlad335

« Reply #35 on: 1 Feb 2013, 07:29 pm »

Where did you get those RCA plugs?

Poultrygeist

« Reply #36 on: 1 Feb 2013, 09:55 pm »
The preamp comes with RCA's attached to the board but they are flimsy. 

In order to extend them to the rear and not risk breaking them with my constant plugging and unplugging I used RCA ends I bought from Parts Express a few years ago. The same ones you'd use for DIY IC cables. I soldered wires to the hot center pin and ground lug then ran the wires to a plate with RCA inputs/outputs and soldered them on.

Another option would be using RCA cables with female ends and extending them out the back and making the connections there. Another option would be to cutting up a pair of cables and you'd only have to solder one end to the input/output plate.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #37 on: 3 Feb 2013, 10:33 pm »
The RCA plate jacks are still on sale for ( would you believe?) $.29. Using my iron I melted extra holes in one plate and added two RCA's from the other plate.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=189-164&scqty=4

cpr1979

« Reply #38 on: 13 May 2014, 06:49 pm »
Hi All,

I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering if someone could help me. I have a Hagtech Bugle that is battery powered and was interested in using the supplied power supply to power both the tube preamp as well as the bugle. Is this extremely complicated or is there someone out there that can show me the wiring diagram of how to do this? I was also interested in wiring a fused on/off switch in the box I have planned for this. Can someone show me the wiring diagram for that as well? It looks like there are two positive wires coming off the transformer. Thanks for any help!

The switch I was considering is the one listed below:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F4MGRRE/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1GAG0EOO627VA

downunder55

« Reply #39 on: 21 Jul 2014, 07:52 am »
I am looking for a little assistance from someone who has one of these pre-amps please, also posted on Audiokarma, but no response, for a few days so hopefully someone here is watching.

Also thinking of getting the YJ 3 valve 6N3,

Currently thinking about a case ...... could someone please advise the height dimensions from the bottom of the board to the top of the black capacitors and also to the top of the valves ? - in millimeters would be good if possible

I trust the overall board dimensions are the 125mm * 90mm as per their site ?

The pot is in an inconvenient place for me, what would be the issues with removing it from the board and replacing it with a panel mounted pot ?

Is the current pot spec known, eg is it a 50K log pot ?

Planning on matching it with the green board http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amplifier-bo...3D161245338888

Looking to also order the Russian tube upgrade, with the Russian 6N3P-ev tubes is a matched pair required or just any pair ?

I take it replacement of the 6Z4 rectifier tube is not required ?

Thanks for any assistance.