Best speaker for Manley itube Stingray?

S1NN3R

Best speaker for Manley itube Stingray?
« on: 25 Sep 2012, 03:58 am »
My set up: Project debut carbon w/ Ortofon 2M red cartridge. Oppo bdp-95,
Manley itube Stingray.

I have 3 speakers in mind. Zu Omen Def, Sonist Concerto 4, Sonus Faber Cremona M.

I listen to all kinds of genre. These are some of the artist: Bread, Carole King,
Sting, Men at Work, Dire Straits, Alicia Keys, Sade, Beatles, Flesh for LULU, Dishwalla, Script, Mindy Smith, Adele, Norah Jones, Kat Edmonson, Jim Brickman, Kenny G, B.B. King, Etta James, Joe Bonamassa ETC.

Please advise.  :|

Freo-1

Re: Best speaker for Manley itube Stingray?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Sep 2012, 12:56 am »
Surprised no one has chimed in yet.  For starters, something at 90 db/w or better is a general recommendation. 

Perhaps a Zu Audio or Gedes would be a good starting point.

Good luck, and keep us in the loop as to what you wind up getting.

radarnyc

« Reply #2 on: 27 Sep 2012, 02:40 am »
I can offer you a great deal on some Hoyt Bedford Type-2 speakers (97dB) that are ideal for the Manley. I run these off a RWA Signature-15 and I've never turned it beyond half.

http://www.hoytbedfordspeakers.com/Type-2.html
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/hoytbedford/1.html - Type-1 review.

My type-2s are with a premium finish and are a "10" for sure. I'm selling at 1/2 off new...so $1000. I'm only selling because these floorstanders are too big for my NYC apartment.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #3 on: 27 Sep 2012, 03:00 am »
I have heard this amp sound magical w/ Joseph Audio Pulsars & Perspectives, both unfortunately somewhat pricey speakers ($7K + $12K).  Just such a super smooth  / non-fatiguing but still detailed & exciting sound. 

I use my first gen stingray w/ Totem Arros, which are not particularly efficient, but can still play quite loudly.  So I would say efficiency is not necessarily the most important : I'd say instead to pick a speaker that's a good match sonically.  With the Arros it can produce magic, but I wonder sometimes if they are the best match. 

I've heard Sonist speakers w/ a little 5W SET tube amp - so they are plenty efficient. Nicely made speakers for a very good price & a very nice mid-range, but just a bit "boring" (i.e. not very dynamic): but perhaps this was the fault of the amp & not the Sonist. The amp used EL84's output tubes like the Manley, but only two vs eight.

Sonus Faber are obviously going to be quite warm as well. 

Not having heard the Zu's, I'd still somewhat say to try those out first, unless you are going for a somewhat warmer sound that the other choices suggest.  But - don't discount non "high efficiency" speakers.  20-34WPC of the Manley may not seem like a lot, but it's got guts.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #4 on: 28 Sep 2012, 01:24 pm »
unless you have a really large room, and/or really inefficient speakers, i would choose speakers solely based on the speakers themselves.  imo and ime, the stingray will be able to drive most anything to satisfying volume in a reasonably sized room.  i have heard the stingray drive proac 1sc's (86db-efficient) in a 14x22x10 room, to more than satisfying spl's, even in the triode mode...

doug s.

mick wolfe

« Reply #5 on: 28 Sep 2012, 03:09 pm »
My set up: Project debut carbon w/ Ortofon 2M red cartridge. Oppo bdp-95,
Manley itube Stingray.

I have 3 speakers in mind. Zu Omen Def, Sonist Concerto 4, Sonus Faber Cremona M.

I listen to all kinds of genre. These are some of the artist: Bread, Carole King,
Sting, Men at Work, Dire Straits, Alicia Keys, Sade, Beatles, Flesh for LULU, Dishwalla, Script, Mindy Smith, Adele, Norah Jones, Kat Edmonson, Jim Brickman, Kenny G, B.B. King, Etta James, Joe Bonamassa ETC.

Please advise.  :|

Add the Tekton Lore , Lore-M or Lore-S to your list. These have been getting some great reviews.

saisunil

« Reply #6 on: 28 Sep 2012, 06:20 pm »
If it is in your budget I'd highly recommend the totem element series ...
http://totemacoustic.com/en/hi-fi/compact/element-ember/

I believe they have first order crossover ...

Very transparent and dynamic ... amazing bass for a stand-mount ... amazing bass for any speaker ...

roscoeiii

« Reply #7 on: 28 Sep 2012, 08:27 pm »
Any particular reason you are sticking with the Manleys? IME speakers are by far the most important part of the chain. Start there and then start trying amps to look for the best synergy in your system according to your preferences.

S1NN3R

« Reply #8 on: 29 Sep 2012, 02:39 am »
Manley builds great hifi components and has excellent customer service. Who would ask for more? My Manley itube stingray is still in the box and waiting for a good pair of speakers. I ask for dealers in my area on Sonist website and didn't get any response so I am taking it out of my list. I would definitely try the Zu omen def with a 60 day money back guarantee.   :D

trackball02

« Reply #9 on: 29 Sep 2012, 03:46 am »
S1NN3R,
Yes, by all means, try the Zus. I'm running my AVA Avastar 35 watt tube amp with the Zu Superflys, and love them, especially after upgrading to the nanotech drivers, which are also featured on the new Defs. Can't go wrong with the money back guarantee.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #10 on: 29 Sep 2012, 05:17 am »
I'd check out the Omega 6"and 8" range with the alnico drivers.

almonduck

« Reply #11 on: 29 Sep 2012, 05:38 am »
I believe I once read about a Stingray and Jean Marie Reynaud Twin combo.

roscoeiii

« Reply #12 on: 29 Sep 2012, 06:47 am »
Manley builds great hifi components and has excellent customer service. Who would ask for more? My Manley itube stingray is still in the box and waiting for a good pair of speakers. I ask for dealers in my area on Sonist website and didn't get any response so I am taking it out of my list. I would definitely try the Zu omen def with a 60 day money back guarantee.   :D

But it's not like Manley is the only great gear with great customer service. I have built systems with amps as the starting point and with speakers as the starting point. Speakers as a starting point led to a much more satisfying system.

S1NN3R

« Reply #13 on: 29 Sep 2012, 03:38 pm »
roscoeiii,

In your prospective, yes. However, if you see it in my point of view. It is easier to transport an amplifier auditioning for speakers than going around carrying 2 tower speakers auditioning for the right amplifier.

Quiet Earth

« Reply #14 on: 29 Sep 2012, 03:42 pm »
I agree with that!  :D

And, it's a lot easier to find a speaker for a sweet little amp than it is to find a sweet sounding amp that has to power an impossible load.

Btw, S1NN3R, what is your budget for the speakers?

roscoeiii

« Reply #15 on: 29 Sep 2012, 03:48 pm »
roscoeiii,

In your prospective, yes. However, if you see it in my point of view. It is easier to transport an amplifier auditioning for speakers than going around carrying 2 tower speakers auditioning for the right amplifier.

Ah yes, I was assuming in home auditions would be done.

And Manleys do have a great rep. I am sure you can find great speakers for them.

S1NN3R

« Reply #16 on: 29 Sep 2012, 07:10 pm »
Quiet Earth,

6-7k max. I want to keep a balance budget for speakers and amplifier.

S1NN3R

« Reply #17 on: 29 Sep 2012, 07:18 pm »

Thank you roscoeiii. BTW I know I went cheap on turntable but I upgraded to the Pro-ject arcylit platter. Somehow I don't understand the logic of it but I tried it anyway and it did made it sound better, more open, airy. That made me want to go further with the Goldring 2500 MM cartridge upgrade.

ncblue

« Reply #18 on: 29 Sep 2012, 09:25 pm »
Haven't heard the Stingray, but I'm running new Zu Omen Defs with 6wpc of Decware and it rocks (just ask my neighbors :).
Love the Zu's give em a try!

S1NN3R

« Reply #19 on: 29 Sep 2012, 11:27 pm »
ncblue,

Do you have a video of your set up? Please send me a link if you do. How well does it sound with guitar and piano?