Chassis & Parts Sources

Barry_NJ

• So much media... So little time...
Re: Chassis & Parts Sources
« Reply #60 on: 1 Sep 2012, 05:04 pm »
I just saw these cases on ebay - had I seen them earlier I would have gone for these. They look custom built just for Ncores !! I still might transplant mine over
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/120945750823?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Same seller, but these look more appropriate for the NCore, no heat-sinks...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/L-2207-Full-Aluminum-amplifier-Enclosure-preamp-DAC-case-DIY-/120944387728?pt=US_Amplifier_Parts_Components&hash=item1c28d8e690#ht_2809wt_952

ajst2duk

« Reply #61 on: 13 Sep 2012, 06:30 am »
Same seller, but these look more appropriate for the NCore, no heat-sinks...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/L-2207-Full-Aluminum-amplifier-Enclosure-preamp-DAC-case-DIY-/120944387728?pt=US_Amplifier_Parts_Components&hash=item1c28d8e690#ht_2809wt_952

Despite that - the cases with the heat sink seem to look a little bit cooler - so to speak. Given that we are generating some heat and trying to keep the ambient temp in the case down (my previous case ran the SMPS really hot), I think these are a good match. Here's my transplanted Ncores anyway:

passingthrough

• "An audiophile and his money are soon parted."
« Reply #62 on: 13 Sep 2012, 05:45 pm »
my previous case ran the SMPS really hot

Just in case anyone else wants to lower the temperature around the SMPS capacitors, here's a heatsink I just received.  It's sized to fit the top of the large flat heatsink on the SMPS600 (3.5" long, 1.1" wide and about 1" tall).

Heatsinkusa.com custom cuts the width and sells this size for $1, although the shipping and handling is $10 extra!

Barry_NJ

• So much media... So little time...
« Reply #63 on: 13 Sep 2012, 07:41 pm »
Despite that - the cases with the heat sink seem to look a little bit cooler - so to speak. Given that we are generating some heat and trying to keep the ambient temp in the case down (my previous case ran the SMPS really hot), I think these are a good match.

Looks good! Have you noticed any drop in temps with your new cases?

ajst2duk

« Reply #64 on: 15 Sep 2012, 04:01 am »
Looks good! Have you noticed any drop in temps with your new cases?

Yes they do seem to run a bit cooler - not that I was too worried about temps to begin with. Just heading into summer here with ambient temps heading north of 25c

Telstar

« Reply #65 on: 3 Nov 2012, 04:27 pm »
Anyone knows a provider for an acrylic case?
I plan to wire as class II, and I dont want to use a metal chassis for safety reasons.

turbogti

« Reply #66 on: 4 Nov 2012, 05:12 pm »
I've been thinking about offering a 5 channel amp.  With Cards stacked within the chassis.  Much like this gentlemans build from DIYAUDIO

I suppose I could do something like a [3 card 3 channel], [4 card 2 channel], [5 card 5 channel] offering.  I'm a little hesitant because I don't want to get stuck with a bunch of cases that don't sell.

Thanks,
Robert
]

can you post the link regarding that set up? it is very interesting indeed.

DaveX

« Reply #67 on: 14 Nov 2012, 04:01 pm »
....need to get a few more bits before I start to build the encores. Could someone tell me what type/size crimp I need to connect the     
(TE Connectivity 15CUE1) IEC inlet, and also what are those plastic covers called that slide over the crimp. If someone could point me to a website to order in the UK or just to show what I need to order would be a great help. Thanks.

jtsnead

« Reply #68 on: 11 May 2013, 03:01 pm »
I am thinking about building or buying a pair of these amps.
I was wondering is anyone offering cases, amp kits, complete
builds, building service etc.

Going to compare to a dual mono ClassD Audio SDS254 amp
that uses one linear power supply.

Thanks All,
JT

jtsnead

« Reply #69 on: 11 May 2013, 03:14 pm »
Also please pm me so not to take over this thread.

lukehatpadl

« Reply #70 on: 29 Aug 2013, 01:21 pm »
Does anyone know where one might find a rounded case such as Hypex used for the Midimono?

https://www.hypexshop.com/shop/productimage.jsp?imageID=233&productID=2261

JoshK

« Reply #72 on: 21 Jan 2014, 10:07 pm »
I've been thinking about offering a 5 channel amp.  With Cards stacked within the chassis.  Much like this gentlemans build from DIYAUDIO

I suppose I could do something like a [3 card 3 channel], [4 card 2 channel], [5 card 5 channel] offering.  I'm a little hesitant because I don't want to get stuck with a bunch of cases that don't sell.

Thanks,
Robert

This is precisely what I am looking to do.   Anyone have a source for a case where you can mount "cards" like this?

clpetersen

« Reply #73 on: 23 Oct 2014, 12:29 pm »
http://www.ebay.at/itm/3607T-Full-Aluminum-Enclosure-mini-AMP-case-power-amplifier-box-chassis-YD-/121173565139?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Amplifier_Parts&hash=item1c3681ded3

full aluminum, nice for a dual mono set
Ghent Audio (http://www.ghentaudio.com) will be modifying their case (now for ICE modules) to be NC$00 and SMPS 600 ready:

I think their case is a little more refined than the SiliconRay equivalent.

"Hi,

We will have new design case-kit, specific for NC400 and SMPS600 soon, about half month later.

I will let you know once finishing production.

Greeting,
Ghent"

occamsrazor

« Reply #74 on: 14 Nov 2014, 10:30 am »
That Ghent case looks rather nice to me. Seems a little bit less wide, and a little bit longer, than the Siliconray one.
Has anyone actually tried it yet?

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #75 on: 15 Nov 2014, 06:53 am »
That Ghent case looks rather nice to me. Seems a little bit less wide, and a little bit longer, than the Siliconray one.
Has anyone actually tried it yet?

I thought so too, and it just recently became available, so I'll know in a couple of weeks! Ordered black case with silver faceplate, Ghent told me one can get an all silver case for $10 more.

A little spendy, but includes hardware. Seemed like a nice middle ground between the $70 cases and the uber nice Aluminati.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321584525441?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

occamsrazor

« Reply #76 on: 15 Nov 2014, 07:20 am »
Ordered black case with silver faceplate, Ghent told me one can get an all silver case for $10 more.

Do you by chance have any photos of either of those combinations?

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #77 on: 15 Nov 2014, 07:40 am »
Do you by chance have any photos of either of those combinations?

Not for the NC400 case specifically, but you can get a pretty good idea looking at various photos on Ghent website;

http://www.ghentaudio.com/index.html

Also, it's possible Ghent would email photos, he's/they've been responsive to my queries.

This excerpted from an email from Ghent right after I posted above, "We will update our listing with Silver color after we taking all pictures, still need couple of more days :)"

So there you go!

clpetersen

« Reply #78 on: 15 Nov 2014, 03:57 pm »
Ghent is now offering mono block cases for MC400 - on their ebay site.  Predrilled for a variety of Hypex modules.
$365 for a pair including accessories and shipping. Look very nice.

From Ghent:

Here you are: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-GK-Ncore-MX-DIY-Mono-Case-Kits-for-Hypex-NC400-SMPS600-ghentaudio-/321584525441?

This GK-Ncore-MX Mono(XLR input) case-kit, is specific designed for multiple combination of Hypex modules:
NC400 + SMPS600
NC1200 + SMPS1200
UcD700 + SMPS1200
All needed installation holes of above modules have been pre-drilled in bottom-plate already

Greeting,
Ghent

Julf

• Grumpy second cousin of Mark V Shaney
« Reply #79 on: 15 Nov 2014, 04:12 pm »
Ghent is now offering mono block cases for MC400 - on their ebay site.  Predrilled for a variety of Hypex modules.
$365 for a pair including accessories and shipping. Look very nice.

Would you know if they have actually measured the interior temperatures of their cases during operation? As discussed elsewhere, even if the hypex modules are very efficient compared to AB class amps, they do generate some heat, and especially the smps600 seems to suffer from operation in high temperatures.