Using Kindle Fire tablet to control SqueezeBox

kgturner

Re: Using Kindle Fire tablet to control SqueezeBox
« Reply #20 on: 7 Jan 2012, 09:14 pm »
Dang it! I just bought my wife a Kindle Touch for X-mas because she wanted a "pure" e-reader. I want this so bad to control my Transporter, but I bet I'll be in the doghouse if I buy myself a Kindle Fire now. :(

Airborn

« Reply #21 on: 15 Jan 2012, 08:44 am »
I just downloaded Squeeze Commander for use with my Samsung Galaxy S-II and for some reason my album art doesnt display. Any ideas what happened?

ctviggen

« Reply #22 on: 15 Jan 2012, 01:44 pm »
Ed,

Rajacat is right.

Spend the $5.00 on Squeeze Commander. I have the free Logitech app on my phone and really don't care for it. It is easier to use the DUET remote than that software. Squeeze Commander blows it away. Using it on the 7" Kindle Fire screen is even better.

I have been trying different devices and software since SB 2 days. I started with a Dell X50 PDA. Went to a Nokia 800. Stayed with the DUET remote for quite some time. The Kindle Fire with Squeeze Commander is THE way to go, IMHO, if you don't want to spend the money for an iPad using iPeng.

I have SqueezePad on iPad and the free app for Android.  Personally, I can't see spending more money (I believe $10) for the SqeezePad.  But it may depend on what you do with the app.

dcsligo

« Reply #23 on: 22 Jan 2012, 11:44 pm »
Just installed Squeeze Commander on my Kindle Fire and liking it so far.  However, I have not found how to control the audio.  According to the wiki, the device audio controlls should work, but with KF, these are software (and are totally crap) and do not work for me.  Anyone managed to control the audio?  Really hoping Commander adds big audio butons, inclding a mute.

NeilT

« Reply #24 on: 25 Jan 2012, 02:33 am »
Thank you Wayne,  :thumb:
Bought the wife a fire for Xmas.
Just downloaded the Apps and it is just wonderful.
My old eyes thank you.

Neil

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #25 on: 1 Feb 2012, 02:29 am »
Good timing for this thread. I've been kicking around the idea of buying a tablet to control the SB3 and Duet with.

Swimming thought the sea of tablet information has made my eyes glaze over, thereby making a wise choice near impossible.

Is anybody using their tablet with the MiniDSP?
That's the next area I'd like to explore, and if I do, the MiniDSP linking to it would be a "clincher".

Bob

p.s. Hello Wayne, long time no talk to. Hope life is treating you and yours very well, my friend!  :thumb: 

gbeard

• Contributing writer--Positive Feedback
« Reply #26 on: 1 Feb 2012, 09:23 pm »
Hi all, (Wayne--long time, hope all is well)

Does anyone know if a Kindle Fire will also remotely control an app like itunes or Foobar on a computer? I am thinking about adding a high-rez option and might try a usb option in addition to my main Squeeze.

Thanks,
Gary

Scott F.

« Reply #27 on: 1 Feb 2012, 09:37 pm »
Hiya Gary (long time!)

If you are looking to control something like Foobar, I haven't found an app to do that yet.

That said, I (just in the last 6 mos) switched over to JRiver. The interface is really cool on the music side. They offer a free app called Gizmo that can control JRiver from a pad (Android based). If you look at JRiver, it is a media center which means it can handle all your movies and pictures as well. It's really designed as the front end of a home theater PC but it works great as just a music server front end. If I remember, it was just under $50 to register plus you get about 4 extra seat licenses for other PCs in your house/work. In the past few years I've switched over to a USB DAC so I can feed HiRez into the main system. I still use (and love) my modded SBs in my various other systems around the house.

On the Squeezebox side, I use Squeeze Commander too. Great little free app for a pad.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #28 on: 1 Feb 2012, 10:04 pm »
I was using the free Logitech app on my Android tablet-Acer Iconia Tab- but these guys told me Squeeze Commander was better so I tried it and agree, its a good app, solid and well laid out. :thumb:

Baard

• Touch - Bufallo DAC II - Meridian - Bryston - ATC
« Reply #29 on: 11 Feb 2012, 10:36 am »
Would like to use Kindle Fire. But currently, Kindle is not available in Europe. Firstly, it is not unusual for American companies like Amazon, Apple and others to have some of their products available in the U.S. before they are exported to other countries.

Secondly and more important, there is a controversy between Amazon and the EU (European Union) on the browser used in the Kindle Fire. It stores all information about the user's Web browsing on Amazon servers in the U.S., something the EU will not accept.

gbeard

« Reply #30 on: 8 Jan 2013, 04:27 am »
All,

Just a bit of info regarding this thread. I did end up buying my wife a Kindle Fire HD for Christmas and I tried to download Squeeze Commander without success. Due to my issues, SlideMe has placed a note on the download page stating that this app is not compatible with the Fire HD. I was rather bummed until I found (also on SlideME) Orange Squeeze for $2.99. This app works very well with the kindle and I have nothing but praise for it over the SB2 remote. Now I have my own library, Pandora, and Tunein at my disposal. I have been unable to use MOG, but I think I have to pay for the Primo in order to use it through MySB.

I certainly hope they maintain support. If not, here comes Sonos.  :duh:

I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday season. Happy New Year!
Gary

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #31 on: 8 Jan 2013, 02:17 pm »
Ditto here.
I downloaded the Logitech Commander (on my Andriod), and to date, haven't figured out how to make it work.
Out of frustration, I started a thread on the Logitech website. The owner/founder of Orange Squeeze popped in and introduced himself and told me about his product. I'm VERY happy with Orange Squeeze. I explored all the bells and whistles yet, but I was playing music a few seconds after installing. Great product, highly recommended.

Bob

chip

« Reply #32 on: 8 Jan 2013, 03:04 pm »
I use Logitech Squeezebox Controller for my android with no issues. :thumb:

gregcss

« Reply #33 on: 8 Jan 2013, 03:50 pm »
I use Logitech Squeezebox Controller for my android with no issues. :thumb:

same here. linky- https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.logitech.squeezeboxremote&hl=en

Though i don't think this helps Gary with the Kindle Fire.

mr_bill

« Reply #34 on: 8 Jan 2013, 04:37 pm »
Are you all using Kindle Fire or Kindle Fire HD?

gbeard

« Reply #35 on: 8 Jan 2013, 06:30 pm »
I'm using a Fire HD 8.9. It works well, and my wife loves it.  :D

BFitz

« Reply #36 on: 12 Feb 2013, 07:13 pm »
All,
Just a bit of info regarding this thread. I did end up buying my wife a Kindle Fire HD for Christmas and I tried to download Squeeze Commander without success. Due to my issues, SlideMe has placed a note on the download page stating that this app is not compatible with the Fire HD. I was rather bummed until I found (also on SlideME) Orange Squeeze for $2.99... 

Not sure what the problem was, but here's new info on the topic. I'm using a Kindle Fire HD 8.9 tablet here, bought Dec. 2012.

Just bought and loaded Squeeze Commander, it runs fine on my Kindle HD tablet. Appears very similar to IPeng on my Iphone, and it works great. Extremely fast, faster than using a PC browser.

I downloaded the slideME SAM app to my PC computer, USB'ed it the Kindle, used the Amazon supported ES File Explorer app find it and to launch/install, then directly loaded Squeeze Commander to the Kindle Fire. Possibly the "hard way", but it worked fine and went fast.

One tip - You need to remember to go into settings > device > "allow installation of applications from unknown sources".

Any experience on using the app to play music on the Fire HD (Squeezeplayer) would be appreciated. It's not on SlideMe, but apparently is on Android Pit.

richidoo

« Reply #37 on: 12 Feb 2013, 08:20 pm »
Thanks Wayne and others for posting this! My 10yo daughter got a Kindle Fire (not HD) for xmas and loves it. She is a pianist and loves music. She listens to her pop CDs on a pink Barbie Karaoke CD player. She wants to play my CDs in her room (not.) I have a spare SB3, speakers and receiver that she could use to stream from my NAS. I'm already running the SB server on my NAS.

How do you put Squeeze Commander on Kindle Fire?  I thought you have to buy all Kindle apps from Amazon, but I don't see it listed on the web in the Amazon store. I tried looking on the Kindle itself but still don't see it.

Thanks!
Rich

EDIT: OK duh, I read Wayne's post again and saw how to download it! False alarm... Thanks

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #38 on: 12 Feb 2013, 08:26 pm »
As an alternative to SqueezeCommander, give "OrangeSqueeze" a try.
Highly recommended.

BFitz

« Reply #39 on: 14 Feb 2013, 08:40 pm »
As an alternative to SqueezeCommander, give "OrangeSqueeze" a try.
Highly recommended.

Will OrangeSqueeze display song lyrics like IPeng? I really like that option, don't see it on SqueezeCommander. I have installed the needed 3rd party "Song Info" and "Song Lyrics" plug-ins on the server.

BTW, I did download "SqueezePlayer" through Android Pit, and it works well on the Kindle Fire HD 8.9. Now I can control, and listen on the device itself. It was again work, but tested out fine and works well.