"Tempesta Xtreme"

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
Re: "Tempesta Xtreme"
« Reply #80 on: 21 May 2012, 06:52 pm »
I've been considering the Tempesta, but the Extreme seems like the way to go. For about $600/pr more than the Tempesta with good quality stands, it seems like a no-brainer. Still has the same footprint.
With the additional woofer, is it any more sensitive than the regular Tempesta? Are there any down-sides to this type of configuration vs the stand-mount?

Sensitivity is a little higher with the dual woofers. No tradeoffs really.

jonbee

« Reply #81 on: 22 May 2012, 01:11 am »
I've been considering the Tempesta, but the Extreme seems like the way to go. For about $600/pr more than the Tempesta with good quality stands, it seems like a no-brainer. Still has the same footprint.
I really love my Ts with a sub, but if the Extreme existed when I ordered mine I'd give them serious consideration. It's hard to see any downside from this approach.

quattro98

« Reply #82 on: 22 May 2012, 03:19 am »
Is it possible to make the extreme in a sealed configuration for use with a sub? If so, do you end up with a more sensitive speaker than the single woofer sealed version?

saeyedoc

« Reply #83 on: 22 May 2012, 12:00 pm »
I really love my Ts with a sub, but if the Extreme existed when I ordered mine I'd give them serious consideration. It's hard to see any downside from this approach.
I guess my concern is how it will look and the stability of having two stacked cabinets that are not attached. I don't want to get stuck with a wobbly stack that isn't well integrated.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #84 on: 22 May 2012, 06:16 pm »
Is it possible to make the extreme in a sealed configuration for use with a sub? If so, do you end up with a more sensitive speaker than the single woofer sealed version?

Yes, it is possible and increases the sensitivity a little.

quattro98

« Reply #85 on: 23 May 2012, 02:38 am »
Working now on a design with dual 7" Illuminators, Accuton C90 mid, and the Illuminator tweeter. This is a customer request (floorstanders plus matching center channel). The RAAL ribbon could easily be integrated into this design.  :thumb:

Thanks for the reply. Any news or pictures of these? I've also been thinking about a high resolution set of L/C/R speakers for music/movies designed for use with a sub. The system I have in mind is similar to the Tre Supremo CC and the above project. It would be a set of 3 sealed speakers all with Illuminator drivers: Be tweeter + 4.5" mid + 7" woofer x2. The L & R would be floor standing in a relatively small cabinet that is tall & narrow, but not very deep.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #86 on: 23 May 2012, 12:04 pm »
Thanks for the reply. Any news or pictures of these? I've also been thinking about a high resolution set of L/C/R speakers for music/movies designed for use with a sub. The system I have in mind is similar to the Tre Supremo CC and the above project. It would be a set of 3 sealed speakers all with Illuminator drivers: Be tweeter + 4.5" mid + 7" woofer x2. The L & R would be floor standing in a relatively small cabinet that is tall & narrow, but not very deep.

That design was for a kit so I'll see if the builder has any pictures. The Be tweeter is great; in fact, very close to the sound of the RAAL ribbon.

NORGATEoiler

« Reply #87 on: 23 May 2012, 02:41 pm »
That design was for a kit so I'll see if the builder has any pictures. The Be tweeter is great; in fact, very close to the sound of the RAAL ribbon.

Kind of funny this topic came up.....I just finished one speaker and took pictures of it last night. 

Still need to varnish the second tower and veneer the center. I'll post more pics when they're complete but here's the pics I took last night.

Took longer than I thought but we've just had another baby so time is hard to come by with a 2 year old and a 1 month old.

jonbee

« Reply #88 on: 23 May 2012, 03:45 pm »
Beautiful! I hope you report on how they sound when you get them up and running.

saeyedoc

« Reply #89 on: 23 May 2012, 03:53 pm »
Nice build! Want to build me 3 with Raals?

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #90 on: 23 May 2012, 05:03 pm »
Kind of funny this topic came up.....I just finished one speaker and took pictures of it last night. 

Still need to varnish the second tower and veneer the center. I'll post more pics when they're complete but here's the pics I took last night.

Took longer than I thought but we've just had another baby so time is hard to come by with a 2 year old and a 1 month old.

Nice work! Even more impressive considering your young family... :thumb:

quattro98

« Reply #91 on: 26 May 2012, 04:13 am »
Those look amazing. Thank you for posting the photos & congratulations on the 1 month old!

pawsman

« Reply #92 on: 26 May 2012, 06:51 pm »
Wow, those are amazing looking speakers! From the beveled edges on the baffle, to the world class
drivers to the fit 'n finish. Please give a full review when finished-

pawsman

navin

« Reply #93 on: 2 Jun 2012, 01:28 pm »
Yes, it is possible and increases the sensitivity a little.

Hi Rick,

Would you recommend I go sealed (since I would have a 12" Subwoofer for the bass) too?

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #94 on: 2 Jun 2012, 07:41 pm »
Hi Rick,

Would you recommend I go sealed (since I would have a 12" Subwoofer for the bass) too?

The sensitivity isn't tied to whether it's sealed or ported (if that's what you're asking?). The sub is easier to integrate with sealed mains if you plan on a 70-80hz crossover point.

navin

« Reply #95 on: 3 Jun 2012, 09:40 am »
The sensitivity isn't tied to whether it's sealed or ported (if that's what you're asking?). The sub is easier to integrate with sealed mains if you plan on a 70-80hz crossover point.

80Hz is what I was considering. Most AVRs have flexibility in choosing the crossover point. The AVRs I am looking at are the NAD 757, Arcam 400 etc. Any recomended AVR? I intend to use 4 channels of the AVR to drive the Extremes (many AVRs allow for their rear power amplifiers to be re-routed to the front).

saisunil

« Reply #96 on: 3 Jun 2012, 12:00 pm »
They look really sharp ...

Is there any reason that you are opting for a receiver instead of a quality 2 channel amp or integrated ... used market is full of good quality reasonably priced amps ...

What's your budget?

PS: Congrats on your new baby  :)

Sunil

navin

« Reply #97 on: 3 Jun 2012, 12:35 pm »
Is there any reason that you are opting for a receiver instead of a quality 2 channel amp or integrated ... used market is full of good quality reasonably priced amps ... What's your budget?

PS: Congrats on your new baby  :)

Sunil,

The primary reason is that this system is going to be very compact and the space (18" wide x 10" high) we had allowed for only a AVR or a stereo amp not both (nor any 2 amp combo like a Pre-Processor and Power amp combo). My wife would use this system more than me since I travel a lot and she needs something that she can turn on with one switch and is simple to operate.

Additonally this system will sometimes be used for home theater which is why there is a compact 12" subwoofer. Since movies would be only 30% of the use and the speakers will be less than 7 feet apart we decided to not have a dedicated center speaker (phantom center) besides our decor did not have the space for the center. Rear channels would be covered by a pair of S6 (if I remember right).

The budget for the AVR would be about $2000. The NAD 757, Pioneer LX75/SC63, etc all fit into the budget but I can stretch a bit to get the Arcam 400 if it is a significant step above the likes of the Pioneer LX75/85, NAD 757, Yamaha A2010/3010, Onkyo 1009/3009, etc..

navin

« Reply #99 on: 6 Jun 2012, 01:40 pm »
I'm loving this integrated. It's selling for $2000 most places.

Cant get that here. What you think about the NAD 375BEE or Yamaha A-S1000?

For another application (speakers are Peridot Excel, Excel center and some smaller SEAS Prestige rears) I was thinking of using a AVR for the processing and rear channels and a power amp for the front and center. Does a combo using a stereo integrated (for the front channels) and a AVR for the center and rear make more sense?