3-way for Australia

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
3-way for Australia
« on: 2 Nov 2006, 08:13 pm »
We'll soon be shipping a new 3-way kit design to Australia and if anyone else is interested I can make more kits available. This is a tapered cabinet like the RC5 but more compact. The bass foundation is handled by a Scan-Speak 22W8851 Revelator woofer. The midrange is the Accuton 5" and the tweeter a Fountek ribbon (same drivers as the D3). Very clean and uncolored, good sensitivity, and a moderate footprint floorstanding cabinet.

klh

Re: 3-way for Australia
« Reply #1 on: 2 Nov 2006, 08:36 pm »
Will it be a WWMTM like the RC5? Also, how does the Scan Speak 8" compare to the Aurasound in the 3D (besides being slightly smaller)? I think I remember you saying Aurasound is coming out with a 8" sub... is that right? Have you considered using that?
« Last Edit: 2 Nov 2006, 09:43 pm by klh »

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #2 on: 3 Nov 2006, 03:15 am »
Will it be a WWMTM like the RC5? Also, how does the Scan Speak 8" compare to the Aurasound in the 3D (besides being slightly smaller)? I think I remember you saying Aurasound is coming out with a 8" sub... is that right? Have you considered using that?

It's a standard 3-way with a single woofer and midbass. The Scan-Speak of course cannot move as much air or go as low as the AuraSound but the sensitivity is about 3db higher. As far as I know there isn't a 8" coming from AuraSound.

obiwan11

« Reply #3 on: 3 Nov 2006, 10:53 am »
Hey, I'm in Australia, is this a kit that can be easily DEQX'd. Rough idea of price? Are you sending them to a dealer over here or just to a private user.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #4 on: 3 Nov 2006, 03:35 pm »
Hey, I'm in Australia, is this a kit that can be easily DEQX'd. Rough idea of price? Are you sending them to a dealer over here or just to a private user.

Yes, you can use the DEQX with this combination. If you triamp with no passive crossover the cost would be $1,350 (includes drivers, cabinet plans, and 3-5 day shipping). Add $475 if you want deluxe assembled crossovers. The kit is going to a private user in Lorne, Victoria.

DSK

« Reply #5 on: 3 Nov 2006, 11:49 pm »
Congratulations Rick, it sounds like a few of your designs are filtering down into Oz.

Perhaps you could entice the customer onto this forum to relay his thoughts upon completion?

obiwan11

« Reply #6 on: 4 Nov 2006, 01:03 pm »
Now is it easy to get these cabinets made up over here in Aus. I certainly couldn't do it. I'd have to pay someone to do it.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #7 on: 4 Nov 2006, 03:21 pm »
Congratulations Rick, it sounds like a few of your designs are filtering down into Oz.

Perhaps you could entice the customer onto this forum to relay his thoughts upon completion?

I'll see if he would like to do that.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #8 on: 4 Nov 2006, 03:24 pm »
Now is it easy to get these cabinets made up over here in Aus. I certainly couldn't do it. I'd have to pay someone to do it.

I'm sure you can find someone to help you. If you have a local woodworking store that's a good place to find referrals.

Michael Anderson

« Reply #9 on: 8 Jan 2007, 01:33 am »
I have just finished building these speakers to a stage where they play but aren't cosmetically finished. This project was an attempt to build a very high quality smallish floorstanding speaker with all the usual attributes but with particular regard to vocal articulation and maintaining liveliness especially at lower volumes. The speakers are to be used in a largish apartment that requires they be played at restrained  volumes much of the time and that really deep bass is not necessarily an asset. The speakers were to be of the highest quality within their bandwidth.
The choice of mid/ tweeter took no time but a lot of thought went into a suitable woofer as the available internal volume was just over 1 cu ft.  In the sensitivity/volume/ deep bass balancing act
higher sensitivity and smaller volume were chosen. Lower volume for asthetic reasons and sensitivity because I think ,as a generalization ,more sensitive speakers seem better able to maintain aliveness at lower volumes.
The speakers have been playing for about 2 weeks and I am very pleased with the results. The project aims have been fully met particularly in regard to cleanness and clarity which are exceptional. I cant imagine getting near this level of performance from a commercial speaker without spending lots and lots more money.
I would highly recommend this design to anyone with similar requirements ( They will also play loudly if and when you want )
Anyone considering this design should be aware that it really isn't that large internally and so really deep bass is not available but this is the speakers only real shortcoming ( something that I may be overly aware of given that my home systems have always been large (very large?) speakers  used in a pretty big room. I dare say Rick could design a ( bigger ) version of this speaker with all the bass you want if given the chance.
I wont attempt a detailed description of the "sound" other than to say I tend to judge stereo systems holistically by responding overall to how well they allow the enjoyment of music both emotionally and analytically ( can I tell who is singing, what sort of instrument is being played with what sort of technique etc ). This speaker in my opinion does an excellent job on both counts.
Thanks to Rick for his work on this project, I certainly got more than my moneys worth out of him. Mike A

kato

« Reply #10 on: 11 Jan 2007, 01:47 am »
Hi, Could you please let me know what the dimensions of the cabinet are for these speakers?
As well what kind of bass extension to expect.
Thanks

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #11 on: 11 Jan 2007, 03:32 am »
Hi, Could you please let me know what the dimensions of the cabinet are for these speakers?
As well what kind of bass extension to expect.
Thanks

Please send me an email and I can provide the information for you.

Michael Anderson

« Reply #12 on: 16 Jan 2007, 08:32 pm »
Hi Kato, My cabinets are in two parts. Bass cabinet is 610mm high by 280mm wide  by 350mm  deep. Top cabinet is a pyramid with top cut off that fits exactly on top of bass cabinet 340mm tall by140mm wide and 150mm deep at top.
I dont have bass measurement for these speakers but I expect Rick has. The bass quality is excellent. Music played through these speakers is most satisfying / engaging in every respect including bass. I think only a really large speaker or dedicated sub would provide more bass and then it would have to be exceptional to provide the same quality.
These really are excellent speakers. Mike A

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #13 on: 17 Jan 2007, 06:29 am »
Hi Kato, My cabinets are in two parts. Bass cabinet is 610mm high by 280mm wide  by 350mm  deep. Top cabinet is a pyramid with top cut off that fits exactly on top of bass cabinet 340mm tall by140mm wide and 150mm deep at top.
I dont have bass measurement for these speakers but I expect Rick has. The bass quality is excellent. Music played through these speakers is most satisfying / engaging in every respect including bass. I think only a really large speaker or dedicated sub would provide more bass and then it would have to be exceptional to provide the same quality.
These really are excellent speakers. Mike A

I have the measurement - remind me to send it to you. Too many irons in the fire...  :icon_lol: