CIAudio USB-only DAC ?

USAudio

CIAudio USB-only DAC ?
« on: 28 Dec 2012, 04:35 pm »
Any possibility we'll see a USB-only DAC from CIAudio?

This and a VHP-2 with quality headphones would be a terrific combination.

shadowlight

Re: CIAudio USB-only DAC ?
« Reply #1 on: 28 Dec 2012, 04:55 pm »

I had the pleasure of using the CIAudio Transient DAC (USB Only) and the sound was clear and easy to listen to.

CIAudio

« Reply #2 on: 28 Dec 2012, 05:57 pm »

Our new Transient MKII is exactly that!

It also has various digital outputs and can be used as a first rate USB interface. It has ultra-low jitter, and is compatible with Windows XP, Vista, 7 & 8. No drivers are needed for Mac & Linux.

USAudio

« Reply #3 on: 28 Dec 2012, 09:41 pm »
Our new Transient MKII is exactly that!

It also has various digital outputs and can be used as a first rate USB interface. It has ultra-low jitter, and is compatible with Windows XP, Vista, 7 & 8. No drivers are needed for Mac & Linux.
Thanks and I've seen the Transient!  Very nice!
I was thinking of something a bit simpler and lower cost.  I would have no need for the digital outputs and volume control.  Maybe something along the lines of a VDA-2 but async USB-only.

CIAudio

« Reply #4 on: 28 Dec 2012, 10:17 pm »
Thanks and I've seen the Transient!  Very nice!
I was thinking of something a bit simpler and lower cost.  I would have no need for the digital outputs and volume control.  Maybe something along the lines of a VDA-2 but async USB-only.

The Transient offers even better sound than VDA-2!
The volume control and I2S outputs don't really add much to the cost...
The volume control is built-in to the DAC chip and uses the same micro-controller as the sample rate LED's.
The I2S signals come from our XMOS based USB converter board and are needed to feed the internal DAC.

Part of what makes the Transient so good is the USB board, which cost us a lot to develop, and uses expensive/precision clock oscillators. The only way for us to make a less expensive model would be to sacrifice performance. At it's selling price of $699 with 5 year warranty, I don't see the need for a compromised model.
There are many products like that already... Dragon Fly, MyDac, etc.

DaveBSC

« Reply #5 on: 29 Dec 2012, 01:28 am »
You guys are working on a higher-end DAC though, right? A wishlist off the top of my head would be separate transformers for analog/digital sections, completely self powered and isolated USB input, dual AD1955 or AKM4399 DACs, and fully balanced, discrete Class A output stages. Selectable filters and synchronous upsampling.

Can you hint at whether the upcoming DAC ticks any of those check boxes?  :thumb:

CIAudio

« Reply #6 on: 29 Dec 2012, 03:58 am »
You guys are working on a higher-end DAC though, right? A wishlist off the top of my head would be separate transformers for analog/digital sections, completely self powered and isolated USB input, dual AD1955 or AKM4399 DACs, and fully balanced, discrete Class A output stages. Selectable filters and synchronous upsampling.

Can you hint at whether the upcoming DAC ticks any of those check boxes? 

separate transformers for analog/digital sections=yes
completely self powered and isolated USB input=no self-power, it will have it's own dedicated internal supply.
dual AD1955 or AKM4399 DAC=no (not my favorites)
fully balanced=yes
discrete Class A output stages=still testing various output schemes
selectable filters=yes
synchronous up-sampling=no (I don't believe in this... if you want up-sampling, it is best done in software).

That's all I can tell you for now  :wink:

DaveBSC

« Reply #7 on: 29 Dec 2012, 10:48 am »
Good stuff. The DAC of the moment seems to be the Sabre, the problem is that the results from it while impressive in terms of detail retrieval are also often a bit sterile and "hi-fi". The AKM or the Wolfson WM8741 might not be as technically impressive, but IMO they are usually more musical. The Sabre from what I understand is also very difficult to implement properly, requiring extremely tight regulation of the power supplies. Burson goes into some detail about this in the 6moons review of their Conductor DAC/HPA.

That said, Accuphase is using the Sabre in their latest DAC, and if there's a company that knows good sound it's Accuphase.

harley52

« Reply #8 on: 19 Mar 2013, 12:56 am »
It was sighted that no driver is needed for Mac and ?. So do I have to load a driver for my Windows laptop.thanks

CIAudio

« Reply #9 on: 19 Mar 2013, 01:24 am »
It was sighted that no driver is needed for Mac and ?. So do I have to load a driver for my Windows laptop.thanks

Yes, Windows requires a driver. It can be downloaded from the Transient product page.
http://www.ciaudio.com/products/TransientMKII