New Stands for MM De Cappo and Dulcet

moray james

• moray james cables
« on: 1 Aug 2005, 09:30 pm »
Just thought that I would let you guys know that Noel at Skylan Stands has two new custom designed stands for the 3A MM De Cappo and the Dulcet. Saw them at the local dealers the other day.  You might also find it interesting to know that Noel has custom stands for Harbeth which Harbeth is recommending. Best regards Moray James.

uncontop

« Reply #1 on: 7 Aug 2005, 02:06 pm »
Tell me about the new stands. I have stands that Noel made for my pair of deCapo-i last November. They are the perfect base for my piano black pair. I had him make them 24" although now I am thinking 26-28" might have been better. How is the new design different from the previous one?

moray james

• moray james cables
changes
« Reply #2 on: 11 Aug 2005, 08:30 am »
Hey: Noel would be the best person to ask. I know that the pillar geometry has been changed but can't say much more than that they sounded very good fully packed with a solid load of sand.  Drop Noel a line and he can fill you in. I know that Noel does not like to post much as he fell that folks will think that he is just looking for advertising.
   If you own Noel's stands please tell others about his work. There are few people who will go to the lengths that Noel will to make sure that you get what you want even if he does not make it! Best regards Moray James.

panderso

Re: New Stands for MM De Cappo and Dulcet
« Reply #3 on: 29 Aug 2005, 10:28 pm »
Quote from: moray james
Just thought that I would let you guys know that Noel at Skylan Stands has two new custom designed stands for the 3A MM De Cappo and the Dulcet. Saw them at the local dealers the other day.  You might also find it interesting to know that Noel has custom stands for Harbeth which Harbeth is recommending. Best regards Moray James.

Just ordered my new Skylans, custom designed for my Dulcets. Looking forward to their arrival, and some enhanced musical pleasure...Will report back...

panderso

Skylan stands for Dulcet
« Reply #4 on: 15 Sep 2005, 06:49 pm »
Here is a brief report on the newly arrived Skylan stands for the Dulcets.  My system is a well warmed in Nait 5i /Naim CD5x.  Formerly, the Dulcets stood on a well reputed brand of good value stands which had some damping material in the 4 metal vertical supporting tubes of about 1 inch in diameter; 26" high.  I'd always thought the Dulcets were doing well on these.

The Skylans are a version of the company's  2 post stand, customized to 28" height and top plate sized for Dulcets .  Each post is a hollow square tube, with rounded corners, designed to mass load with fine sand, around the threaded rod joining top and bottom plate through each tube..  Without careful weighing, I'd estimate  each stand took about 30lb of fine sand, give or take.  The result looks very sleek and well proportioned with the Dulcets.  Certainly, the end product is much heavier than my older stands. I'll try to get my technically adept son to help provide pics.

The results are dramatic and quite delightful. The entire system sounds bigger, and more powerful, with no loss of delicacy, detail and timbre; more richness to bass and mids, more air to the highs.  The speakers display greater nuance of dynamics; the different levels of volume and intensity to voice and instrument. The ceiling of the soundstage has been nicely raised, formerly a limitation of my system. I think many would be astonished at what a good small monitor can do on these stands.

Most of all, the music just sounds more alive. In short, it is the equivalent of a major and well placed component upgrade.  This for less than $250 Canadian, shipped.  My hat is off to Noel at Skylan.  And to  Moray James who posted here and tipped me off.

Other models for other speakers, including De Capos, too.

Fife12

« Reply #5 on: 15 Sep 2005, 08:21 pm »
I agree. Noel's Skylan stands are a great alternative to Target and Sound Anchors.

Here's mine if you havent seen.

Custom made for my B&W Matrix 805 and a perfect fit!

panderso

« Reply #6 on: 15 Oct 2005, 12:08 am »
Happy with the results of the Skylan speaker stands that I learned of here, I ordered and just installed Noel's damping board and ceramic 'mushrooms' under the chassis of my Naim CD5x. I'd received advice that between the two, my CDP was likely to get more benefit than the less fussy Nait 5i integrated.  Be that as it may, the improvement is striking, for the silent  backdrop to the music, which now displays greater focus and clarity.  It is perhaps not so much that there is more detail, it just appears so much cleaner and sharper against the silence.  A very cost-effective upgrade indeed.