Going back to film

Photon46

Re: Going back to film
« Reply #20 on: 13 Nov 2017, 10:59 pm »

In future, I do hope smaller mirrorless medium format digital cameras like Fuji GFX 50S and Hassy X1D-50C gain traction and come down in price enough, but in all honesty, the improvement in IQ per dollar over today's top-notch full frame cameras seems rather small..

https://www.adorama.com/ifjgfx50s.html

https://www.adorama.com/hsx1d50c.html

I agree with you completely. When I compare the captures from our medium format Phase One P65+ (65mp) back with state of the art Schneider and Rodenstock digital view camera lenses and the new Canon EOS 5 Ds-r (almost 51mp) with single focal length Zeiss lenses there is remarkably little to differentiate them. Especially once the image goes to print. Yes, the larger sensor captures a larger range of f-stops and it is capable of even sharper images than the Canon (if you can manage to actually focus it PERFECTLY - easier said than done) but in real world budget driven scenarios, it is hard to justify the high prices of medium format cameras.

Carlman

« Reply #21 on: 14 Nov 2017, 02:36 pm »
Yep, I'm back on the D750 path.  I am hoping for a big sale around the holidays.  There is no value equation for the micro 4/3rds mirrorless situation when I could get the d750 OTHER than size. 
And if that's the case, I pretty much need 2 systems: Big and small.  Maybe a Canon G9x.  Something with a non-removable 3x or so zoom.. a Zeiss lens is very appealing to me.  But the price creeps up to $1,k+ quickly.. essentially killing the whole idea of getting a nice little compact.. that's getting into real money for real gear. (like the D750)

I have a Coolpix A which is pretty nice but has a fixed lens.  I have learned I like a 50-85mm sort of reach to get the shots I like.  That is where I shoot 60-70% of the time.. and I really enjoy shooting portraits.  I got the wrong camera... again.

But now that I have a good idea of what I want and what is available... I can rest my mind knowing what I'm going to do.  And since I've come to the reality of how much time I (don't) have, I can also wait to pull the trigger on buying or selling. :)

-C

Carlman

« Reply #22 on: 27 Dec 2017, 01:00 am »
Merry Christmas to me! My sweet wife has bought me the D750. :)
I'm using a g series 50, a d series 20 and 85, and loving it.
Still tweaking my settings but what a relief to have a real camera again.

In other good news, I've found a local group with a darkroom! The Durham Arts Council has a real darkroom so I plan to start processing film there next month. :)

Here's a quick snap with the 20. (Cropped)

GRACE RUBY

« Reply #23 on: 17 Feb 2019, 09:11 am »
Why? Because I don't like the way (most of) my images look on digital.  They're usually sharp but lack a naturalness I can't quite put my finger on.. anywhere like any digital photo.

Suggestions are welcome on whatever.. sorry for rambling..

digital is wonderful, and weird as hell.

there is a magic to film digital can only mimic,
firstly it makes your body tense......WTF is that dam ruby saying now, ?????

sorry its just a medical fact, sharp photos make the eye tense up to focus harder, the sympathetic
nervous system responds in kind, and we get tense,
soft focus makes us relax, take two exact photos, soften one and then look back and forth,
you will feel your shoulders even relax.

this was the secret of the impressionist.

romance is based on soft focus settings, the clarity obsession is just that.
CD's same crap different day.

Mapplethorpe may have been a sexually frustrated to infinity wing nut, but his gel coats of kind
looking women are some of the most hypnotic pictures on earth.

in this as well is our adoration of/for old movies the soft screen relaxes us, I am a graphic artist and i won't even use a flat screen, dropped three hundred on one and gave it away, cold blue light period.

GR 

Jay Decker

« Reply #24 on: 27 Jul 2021, 06:13 am »
Love shooting film…

Carlman

« Reply #25 on: 2 Aug 2021, 03:30 pm »
Well, the journey continues.
I have gotten a well sorted digital system and compliment it with the F100/film system.
On a side note, I am surprised by the inconsistent quality of Nikon lenses.  I replaced an 85 1.8G prime with a 28-300 that is superior in all areas but bokeh.
I've realized I strongly prefer medium format film by a wide margin over 35mm.  My problem is portability.  I have a huge camera bag already.  If I replace the F100, I lose lens flexibility with the D750 so that starts a new set of issues.

Also, I've had a friend show me an easier workflow in LR classic that works for me.  Bought new PC and laptop as well.. everything is easier now.  I've shot some projects and things are going ok, but I don't have time to get really refined in my systems and processes.. but I can take reliably decent photos now.

I've also invested in a tripod system.. using Leofoto plates, a Gitzo carbon tripod, and so on.. I have been shooting a lot of birds the past year w/ a 200-500mm 5.6 with good results.  It's soooo heavy, though.  I want to get back into portraits.. and I have some, but mostly formal/posed stuff lately.. I'd prefer something more communicative.  I like the surreal gelcoat thing.. but I don't know what I'm going to actually do yet because I don't have that much freedom or time yet... but maybe in another year or 2.

Attached a photo I took in Boston on Agfapan/APX.

Denton J

« Reply #26 on: 15 Dec 2023, 05:45 am »
I have about 70% of the equipment for a dark room.  Until then, I use Oscars' Photography out of SF to process my film. They do a great job developing negatives & prints. They also digitize your negatives too and send you the file while you wait for the negatives & prints to show up.

I haven't really moved forward with a dark room set up because of space & storage.

Carlman

« Reply #27 on: 17 Jan 2024, 11:27 pm »
I'm finally getting a good hang of shooting the Mamiya 645 and processing it correctly.
Last experiment was successful...
https://photos.app.goo.gl/bZD5RGShhdM25Sr96

Just a lot to remember, lots of little tricks to memorize, and understanding subjects. ;)

I realized it's been awhile since I posted, so all that Nikon gear I referenced is gone now. I'm now using Canon mirrorless. The change has allowed me to be a better artist and more motivated to actually shoot. 

Alain Arseneault

• Double A
« Reply #28 on: 19 Jan 2024, 01:29 am »

Many years ago I took this picture of my niece (My sister's daughter) with a Nikon N90
with Agfa Pan 25 B&W film.
I used a small off camera flash and umbrella reflector from a friend (Can't remember make or model)
my sister was pleased with the result so I was also please for a rare and first trial.
Any comments are welcome, maybe I will give it a try again and make it a hobby.

Double A