How about some detailed photos of Ultramega drivers & the BBPR?

Long Ear

I keep seeing LR's q's on this topic,so thought I would post a copy of the e-mail Big B sent me when I was upgrading my
2 Largers to the ultra mega 15" & 12" woofers & BBPR about 2 months ago.
"As the new woofers have 4ohm voicecoils, you must wire them in series instead of parallel inside the subwoofer cabinet.
To do so, connect the + wire from the pos binding post to the red input on the 15" woofer then connect the - wire from the negative binding post to the neg. terminal on the 12", then connect the neg terminal on the 15" to the pos terminal on the 12".
The new woofer baskets are about 3/16" wider than the old drivers. If you want them to fit into their front baffle reliefs & not stick out so much, you must widen the relief with a router. Or I can send you some 12" & 15" paper gaskets to fill in the relief, & you can mount the drivers flush with the baffle. If you do this the grill will not fit over the new drivers"
I ended up using a jig saw to open up the baffles & can still use the grills. 
O.K. I have a relatively modest system
(2) bryston 4b-st amps bridged for mono for the RM-40 lows
(1) bryston 4b-st Pro (level controls) for mids & tweets
(2) dayton 1000 sub amps
(2) anti mode 8033
(1) bryston BCD-1 cd player.

The ultra-mega woofs are really worth the marginal extra cost from the mega-woofers. I like to listen to music at loud
levels & have yet to bottom out the woofs or BBPR even when clipping the sub amps. Everyone has different listening tastes & music, but don't know how a picture or 2 would be the decision maker when it comes to sound. I'm doing everything that I can reasonably & cost effectively do to maximize my current stereo investment. (Can it sound any better?)
I also installed the new CDWG's a few days after the woofs,
again a major improvement IMHO.
Don't know if this will help any of you fence straddlers get off the fence & JUST PULL THE TRIGGER & UPGRADE, it's just my take on this lengthy post & hope for magic situation.
Best to everyone, love VMPS

Linkwitz Riley

"As the new woofers have 4ohm voicecoils, you must wire them in series instead of parallel inside the subwoofer cabinet.

That is because you are running your sub off of a Dayton Sub Amp.  While I'm sure that this is a nice amp, it is a monoblock and is not rated for use with 2 ohm loads.  That is why he told you to wire your drivers in series, yeilding an 8 ohm load.  It was to keep the Dayton amp stable.
If you are running two of these subs off of an external 2 channel amp that is stable while driving 2 ohm stereo loads, you could wire the 2 drivers in each cabinet in parallel with no problem.

Everyone has different listening tastes & music, but don't know how a picture or 2 would be the decision maker when it comes to sound.

I've seen them now.  I don't need pictures anymore.  They meet my expectations and I hope they sound as good as they look.  Thanks for your comment and information about your upgrade experience!
« Last Edit: 30 Jul 2011, 11:40 pm by Linkwitz Riley »

bsoko2

Those crown amps work just fine. I made a simple mistake  :duh: in wiring due to using 2 differnet shades of white wire for the neg. Everything works just fine now.

Bill

Conradicles

How about some detailed photos of Ultramega drivers & the BBPR?

I agree it would be nice to have this as a reference point. Did this ever happen?

Conradicles

Anybody have a pic of a Big Bump passive radiator?

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
The BBPR looks like the standard PR from the front.  The back of the basket has a 3/4" step, or bump, punched into the basket to allow extra cone travel.

JP78

Really anxious to see those driver pics!

+1 :)

Brax

I purchased and installed the BBPR. Using the old style PR, it would bottom every now and then on intense movie scenes. Since I swapped out to the BBPR, I have never bottomed it out.

Well worth the upgrade if you have a VMPS subwoofer.