Review of the Thor Monoblocks from Merrill Audio priced at $4.8k.

ua100k

• Industry Participant
    • Merrill Audio
here is the link.

http://www.avrev.com/home-theater-power-amplifiers/mono-amplifiers/merrill-audio-thor-mono-block-amplifiers-review-2.html

Here is the summary for those looking for the bottom line.
Conclusion

The Merrill Audio THOR mono blocks were among most engaging and sonically flawless power amplifiers I have had in my system to date. At $4800, they are the real deal, and come equipped with costly performance enhancements no manufacturer I know of is offering at this price point. The $12,000 Veritas monos get you more power, and perhaps improved dynamics, but for those with smaller spaces and reasonably efficient speakers, the THORs are just the ticket.

The THORs offer a clean window into the music and are completely free of mechanical or electronic artifacts. They are incredibly low noise, and this contributes to their rock solid imaging and sense of space. The Merrill THORs are a bargain for what they bring to the table. Special mention goes to the excellent ANAP cables provided by Merrill as well. I have no doubt they helped extract the very best performance out of the THORs.

These amplifiers are a must audition.

« Last Edit: 19 Apr 2014, 07:55 pm by ua100k »

cab

Class d? Hypex UcD or ?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
These are Hypex UcD

cab

Thanks....

ua100k

• Industry Participant
    • Merrill Audio
Class d? Hypex UcD or ?

These are Hypex modules that originate (as they all do) from the Ucd. There is some new tech in them as well. Lastly they are modified by Merrill Audio.

Regardless of architecture, the Monoblocks should be listened to and compared to anything else out there to make up your mind.

DBT would be best to see which sounds best!

Enjoy.

cab

No doubt they sound great but for the half the price I have a hard time turning my back on my ncores...

Freo-1

Always willing to listen to new amps.  You never know until you audition in your own system.  Until recently, I was not enamored with any Class D amps.  Recently, I've herd some pretty good sounding Class D amps. I do know mods help.  For example, a Rowland Class D ICE amp sounded better with the Rowland mod to the input.

So far, my favorite sounding Class D is the Yamaha MX-D1. 

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
Lastly they are modified by Merrill Audio.
What mod(s) are performed?  Does this void the Hypex warranty?  Which module are they so I can see the measurements before modding?  Do you have the AP measurements post modification? 

These are Hypex modules that originate (as they all do) from the Ucd. There is some new tech in them as well. Lastly they are modified by Merrill Audio.

Regardless of architecture, the Monoblocks should be listened to and compared to anything else out there to make up your mind.

DBT would be best to see which sounds best!

Enjoy.

Freo-1

What mod(s) are performed?  Does this void the Hypex warranty?  Which module are they so I can see the measurements before modding?  Do you have the AP measurements post modification?

I would reckon Merrill Audio would cover the warranty period, since it is their amp. 

Measurements would be good, but very few audiophile buy gear on measurements alone.  Most audiophiles buy gear base on how it sounds (assuming it measures well).

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
I would reckon Merrill Audio would cover the warranty period, since it is their amp. 
Damn.  That could get expensive!

Most audiophiles buy gear base on how it sounds (assuming it measures well).
Right, that's why I'm asking for meassurements as it probably doesn't measure the same as before the mods.

Freo-1

I seriously doubt Merrill would offer up the amps if they thought there would be issues.  Rowland has been modifying Class D amps for years without issues.  Don't see why this would be any different.

I would further argue one can't get a full sense of how an amp will sound just by measurements.  Granted, it needs to measure well to to be able to sound good, but many of the Class D amps I've auditioned measure well, but were lacking in one or more important area sonically.  The vast majority of measurements are single frequencies through a static resistor.  That is most helpful, but not necessarily tells you how it will sound. 

As stated earlier, the best sounding Class D amp I've heard to date is the Yamaha MX-D1.  I suspect the key to the Yamaha's outstanding performance is the unique input signal processing (using digital flash vs. analog). No reason not to think that improvements can't be made by upgrading/modifying the input buffering.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
I seriously doubt Merrill would offer up the amps if they thought there would be issues.  Rowland has been modifying Class D amps for years without issues.  Don't see why this would be any different.

I would further argue one can't get a full sense of how an amp will sound just by measurements.  Granted, it needs to measure well to to be able to sound good, but many of the Class D amps I've auditioned measure well, but were lacking in one or more important area sonically.  The vast majority of measurements are single frequencies through a static resistor.  That is most helpful, but not necessarily tells you how it will sound. 

As stated earlier, the best sounding Class D amp I've heard to date is the Yamaha MX-D1.  I suspect the key to the Yamaha's outstanding performance is the unique input signal processing (using digital flash vs. analog). No reason not to think that improvements can't be made by upgrading/modifying the input buffering.
That's all great but if I'm spending $4k for something modded I want to at least see before/after. 

Freo-1

Well, let's see if any more information is forthcoming.  Having said that, the only true way to sort it out is to listen to the Merrill side by side against the unmodified unit (along with other Class D amps).

ua100k

• Industry Participant
    • Merrill Audio

All specs and warranty information is published on the website for those who are interested. Please feel free to visit www.MerrillAudio.net

See you at Axpona 2014., Burton room, lower level.