My Open Baffle Servo Subwoofers

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
My Open Baffle Servo Subwoofers
« on: 29 Oct 2014, 06:11 pm »
So a little over a month ago I pulled the trigger on a pair of flat pack OB sub cabinets.  Slowly but surely I've been assembling them.  The first one is finished being glued together and sanded down.  Just to warn you I'm no woodworker and don't have a shop for this.  Most of it is being done in my apartment with the sanding done outside on my back porch.  :wink:

I figured I'd share my build pics for you guys.

Each cabinet was well packed!

Dry fit looks good. :thumb:

My initial attempts to clamp were... well... a learning process.  Clearly I did not buy enough clamps.

I decided to add the braces to the baffle early.  It's a good idea to have a ruler and some kind of square-tool for this. 

The 2nd one went better.  Somehow the first brace ended with a slight tilt.

While Jon recommended starting at the top I couldn't quite wrap my head around doing it that way.  Adding the bottom to a side panel seemed more logical.  Adding the baffle was easier and helped keep things square.

Adding the other side panel was a piece of cake.

Next came the top.  I had to sand down the top of the baffle a millimeter or two.

Sanding off the rough edges.

Clamping the base.  This was trickier than I expected.  Nobody ever mentions how when you screw down the clamps things can drift off their mark.  I actually strained a tendon or ligament in one of my fingers trying to realign the cabinet!  :icon_surprised:

The first cabinet looks good!  53.2 pounds.  I'm torn about how I want to finish it.  The Duratex looks like the easiest path but I'm not sure I want them all black.  I was thinking possibly veneering the sides to class them up a bit.  That would be something new to learn.  Scary stuff!

Hey Danny, any word on the 8 Ohm drivers?

« Last Edit: 29 Oct 2014, 07:44 pm by corndog71 »

jparkhur

Re: My Open Baffle Servo Subwoofers
« Reply #1 on: 29 Oct 2014, 07:31 pm »
If you decide to paint them, use a good primer.  It will fill some of those typical voids/cracks that MDF tends to get.  I spray on Kilz 123 Primer or similar.  Those look good.  I am in favor of the Duratex, but also remember that when you add the no rez, you will have significantly less area to cover.  JP

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 29 Oct 2014, 08:14 pm »
Just make sure you do the finish before you put the drivers in.  Once the drivers go in, tis almost impossible to find the motivation to pull them out :D

Early B.

« Reply #3 on: 29 Oct 2014, 08:44 pm »
Awesome work!!

Compared to yours, mine looks like it was built blindfolded.

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #4 on: 29 Oct 2014, 09:45 pm »
Nicely done, they will be well worth the work once you have them up and running.
Looking forward to your progress....... :thumb:

All this nice DIY work on the GR circle is giving me an itch......

ebag4

« Reply #5 on: 29 Oct 2014, 10:54 pm »
Looking good CD!  Anxious to see what you work out for the finish.

Nicely done, they will be well worth the work once you have them up and running.

You'll have a tough time topping that pair of Super Vs, really nice work.  But I will say you might want to consider a new project... :wink:

Best,
Ed

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #6 on: 29 Oct 2014, 10:55 pm »

Hopefully that's what it's really from :o

ebag4

« Reply #7 on: 29 Oct 2014, 10:57 pm »
:lol: :lol:

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #8 on: 29 Oct 2014, 11:12 pm »

Yep its the building itch...... I bought cream for the other one.... :wink:

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #9 on: 29 Oct 2014, 11:16 pm »

You'll have a tough time topping that pair of Super Vs, really nice work.  But I will say you might want to consider a new project... :wink:

Best,
Ed

Yeah, thats what I figured, dang.....I see a X-mass gift in my future, I must
go now and thank my wife....

Sorry for the OT CD....

I've always wondered if the full body decals they put on vehicles could be applied to speakers for a finish?
If so, these sub enclosures would be a perfect candidate, and you would be limited only by imagination.

Captainhemo

« Reply #10 on: 30 Oct 2014, 01:09 am »
Looking good  CD  :thumb:

I'm sure you could top the  Durattex with any color you like if it is the textrue you are after.  I have done that with the spray on bed liner and it works well.

If you test  before soldering,  just do it without the no rez , I got impaitient and  installed  the no rez  prior to soldering ....  I suggest  you  solder  everything up first, much easier to get  in there with the iron

Perry,  you mean the  itch actually goes away ? As soon as my builds are done,  the dam thing retruns  :lol:

-jay
« Last Edit: 30 Oct 2014, 06:12 am by Captainhemo »

Guy 13

« Reply #11 on: 30 Oct 2014, 01:19 am »
Hi corndog71.
For someone that has no woodworking skills
and did everything in your apartment (Less sanding)
the results are pretty amazing.
Of course when they are painted and completely finished,
I will throw more compliments your way.

Guy 13

corndog71

« Reply #12 on: 30 Oct 2014, 12:55 pm »

Sorry for the OT CD....

I've always wondered if the full body decals they put on vehicles could be applied to speakers for a finish?
If so, these sub enclosures would be a perfect candidate, and you would be limited only by imagination.

No worries on the OT.   :lol:

Alsa Corp has some really cool wraps and films I've been considering although they come with a higher cost.

ebag4

« Reply #13 on: 30 Oct 2014, 01:02 pm »
I considered the 3M Di-Noc for the Wedge.  I thought I might need something less intricate to start with.  I am now thinking I might  do my stands in either the carbon fiber or the stainless steel wrap.

corndog71

« Reply #14 on: 10 Nov 2014, 06:25 am »

Second cabinet is glued and sanded! :thumb:

Still not sure of how to finish them.  :scratch:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #15 on: 10 Nov 2014, 06:41 am »
Red metallic paint would be my choice.

Guy 13

« Reply #16 on: 10 Nov 2014, 07:01 am »
Hi corndog71,
if I was you, (But I am not)
my first choice would be red
and then my second choice would be white.
With nice enclosures like yours, any color would be nice.
Hurry and make up your mind on the color,
we are anxious to see it painted and completed. :lol:

Guy 13

corndog71

« Reply #17 on: 29 Nov 2014, 08:22 pm »
I decided to go with Duratex.  In order to get the hang of applying it, I started with one of the amp boxes.  These 4 wall boxes were surprisingly challenging to glue and clamp together.  It didn't help that I bumped them off the table.  ...twice. :oops:

I tried to go for the leather look but it's tricky.  I'm still playing with it and may try other techniques.
« Last Edit: 29 Nov 2014, 10:50 pm by corndog71 »

corndog71

« Reply #18 on: 1 Dec 2014, 03:47 am »

Duratex is some interesting stuff.  I've gathered several tools to experiment with: paint brush, foam brushes, foam roller brush, edge brush, and rolling pin. 

My initial attempts using Saran wrap to achieve the leather look as promoted by Acrytech was mixed.  It ends up being a fairly coarse texture.  Not really what I wanted.  The foam brush worked well and gave a fairly smooth finish but it can be challenging getting it consistently across the surface without mistakes/ imperfections.

The edge brush gave a nice smooth finish with a grain pattern.  I really like it.

The foam roller was disappointing at first but as the Duratex started to set I did a few more passes and got this.  Also very cool-looking and easy to get consistently.  It's still more coarse than I would like. 

I'm thinking the edge brush might be the winner here. 

Captainhemo

« Reply #19 on: 1 Dec 2014, 04:10 am »
I like that last  effect  , might be the easiest to get consistent  too    OTOH, if you are after a "leathery" look, not sure  consistant is  what you are after  ?
Might be worth trying a  couple different types of rollers , you may find one that will give you that leathery look  when run over the partly setup Duratex.

Decisions decisions  huh    :lol:

-jay

-jay