Best speaker stand ever.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Re: Best speaker stand ever.
« Reply #80 on: 14 Nov 2014, 02:08 am »
In the pictures I count 7 braces across the open back (not counting the top and bottom) but in the drawing it looks like there are only two braces. What am I missing?

Mike

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #81 on: 14 Nov 2014, 03:10 am »
In the pictures I count 7 braces across the open back (not counting the top and bottom) but in the drawing it looks like there are only two braces. What am I missing?

Mike

It looks to me like there are only 2 types of braces, so you only need 2 drawings?

Danny Richie

« Reply #82 on: 14 Nov 2014, 04:12 am »
I didn't add in the little braces that I added in the prototype. If someone wants to beef it up even more then adding another layer might be easiest.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #83 on: 14 Nov 2014, 04:17 am »
I didn't add in the little braces that I added in the prototype. If someone wants to beef it up even more then adding another layer might be easiest.

Got it. Thanks Danny

Mike

MarvinTheMartian

« Reply #84 on: 14 Nov 2014, 10:59 am »
How much clearance does the speaker grille require for a surface mounted SW-8 ?
My rough guess is 0.25" basket + 0.5" surround + 0.75" Xmax = 1.5" .

"If someone wants to beef it up even more then adding another layer might be easiest. "
A double 0.75" baffle with the driver surface mounted on the first layer would reduce the grille clearance to a more manageable 0.75".

To bad the SW-8's rounded basket doesn't lends itself to simple rear surface mounting.
Then the double baffle thickness would give you close to the required grille clearance.

Shawn

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #85 on: 14 Nov 2014, 02:16 pm »
 Now that is a unique design. You never cease to amaze me .  Looks like a solution for those who have limited space without mini monitors as well. Being able to place close to wall offers options.
     Danny what value cap would be required for a 65HZ high pass to main speakers ? These are going to sell like hotcakes. Well done.

charles

Danny Richie

« Reply #86 on: 14 Nov 2014, 02:53 pm »
How much clearance does the speaker grille require for a surface mounted SW-8 ?
My rough guess is 0.25" basket + 0.5" surround + 0.75" Xmax = 1.5" .

And 1.25" to 1.5"

"If someone wants to beef it up even more then adding another layer might be easiest. "
A double 0.75" baffle with the driver surface mounted on the first layer would reduce the grille clearance to a more manageable 0.75".

Yeap.

To bad the SW-8's rounded basket doesn't lends itself to simple rear surface mounting.
Then the double baffle thickness would give you close to the required grille clearance.

Rear mounting is pretty tough though when you can't get tot he other side.

Danny Richie

« Reply #87 on: 14 Nov 2014, 02:54 pm »
Danny what value cap would be required for a 65HZ high pass to main speakers ?

What's the input impedance of your amp?

rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #88 on: 14 Nov 2014, 03:37 pm »
What's the input impedance of your amp?

The amps are 100K. I would solder the cap across the RCA input ?

thanks,
charles

Danny Richie

« Reply #89 on: 14 Nov 2014, 03:53 pm »

The amps are 100K. I would solder the cap across the RCA input ?

thanks,
charles

A .022uF value will get them -3db down at 72Hz.
A .033uF value will get them -3db down at 48Hz.

I'd go with the .022uF as this just creates a first order slope.

And note what HAL just posted below. Thanks HAL.

Inline on the positive RCA pin.  It's the one in the center.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #90 on: 14 Nov 2014, 03:55 pm »
Charles,
The cap will go in series with the input hot lead.

mboxler

« Reply #91 on: 14 Nov 2014, 04:08 pm »

I use this link to determine Cap values

http://www.pronine.ca/capimp.htm

Mike

rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #92 on: 14 Nov 2014, 04:41 pm »
  Thanks for the help gentleman. Much appreciated. Just happen to have some .022 caps .

charles

rodge827

« Reply #93 on: 24 Nov 2014, 01:47 pm »
If anyone is putting together a flat pack or can build the stands please contact me to discuss.

Chris

HollowJane

« Reply #94 on: 19 Mar 2015, 09:32 am »
These could be the best speaker stands ever. They will be for a lot of applications.

I am just building up the first pair and thought I'd share this with everyone. I am building some stands that have an 8" servo sub on each side of the stand and the HX300 servo amp on the inside facing side panel.

These are open baffle woofers so they need no full box. So the air space is nothing. They face to the sides. This does have some force cancelling benefit too. And as you can see from the pics the back is open.

With the back open the output from the side and from the back will cancel each other out. So they will have no output on the back side of the stand. But they will have output on both sides and in front of the stand.

This means that they can be placed near the front wall and there will be no coupling effect from the wall. So no room boom from the front wall at all.

Rotating them now you can see where the amp and woofers mount.

In this pic below you can see them from the front. They are only 6.25" wide and only 10.75" deep.

Rotating them again for another front corner view.

And I designed to be built out of 3/4" material. It is well brace of coarse and I will line it with No Rez.

They will get a bottom plate for floor spikes and a top plate for the speakers to sit on. So they will get a little taller. The center section is only 26.5" tall. So when finished they will be just about right. They will be 28" tall plus the floor spikes.

And with the servo controls these will do just about anything you want them to. They can even play to a -3db down of 20Hz. Now your little mini-monitor turns into a full range speaker without getting any bigger.

More on the HX300 amp here: http://www.rythmikaudio.com/compact_amplifiers.html

I might even offer some in-line passive filters for mini-monitors like these.

Pretty cool huh....  :thumb:
Woow, they are pretty cool! I would like to have those. I use the Bose FS-1 as speaker stands: http://www.consumertop.com/best-speaker-stands/
But they are a bit more metallic if you see what I mean, and I am sure yours produce a lot nice sound. How long did em take to build?

Danny Richie

« Reply #95 on: 19 Mar 2015, 03:35 pm »
I really didn't keep track of the build time. It was a pretty simple build though.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #96 on: 19 Mar 2015, 05:55 pm »
I had completely forgotten about these until HollowJane replied. (Thank you, Jane!)

Danny,

May I kindly suggest you update your website?

Can I use any monitor with these stands? I've got LGKs to use with them, but I may have others in the near future. I guess I'll need low pass filters regardless which monitors I'm using, no?

Anything else I need to know? May I use 1" thick MDF for the L/R sides so long as the internal dimensions remain the same? (Is using one inch for added strength necessary?)

Thanks!
Michael

Danny Richie

« Reply #97 on: 19 Mar 2015, 06:15 pm »
I had completely forgotten about these until HollowJane replied. (Thank you, Jane!)

Danny,

May I kindly suggest you update your website?

Can I use any monitor with these stands? I've got LGKs to use with them, but I may have others in the near future. I guess I'll need low pass filters regardless which monitors I'm using, no?

Anything else I need to know? May I use 1" thick MDF for the L/R sides so long as the internal dimensions remain the same? (Is using one inch for added strength necessary?)

Thanks!
Michael

I'd love to have the time to sit down and work on the website. But anytime I have orders to get filled and out the door then that always comes first.

You can use these stand with any monitors, and high pass filters are optional. The filters just make the work load on the monitors much less.