LGK sound bar

cody69

LGK sound bar
« on: 28 Aug 2014, 04:44 pm »
I am interested in improving the audio quality of a flat screen TV I have in my exercise room. Given the positive experience I've had with the LGKs I made for my desktop, my first thought is to build another pair and set beside the TV. However, I'm interested if anyone has experimented or has advise for using these drivers in a sound bar layout that would provide a more appropriate form factor for this application.

SoCalWJS

Re: LGK sound bar
« Reply #1 on: 28 Aug 2014, 05:11 pm »
I am interested in improving the audio quality of a flat screen TV I have in my exercise room. Given the positive experience I've had with the LGKs I made for my desktop, my first thought is to build another pair and set beside the TV. However, I'm interested if anyone has experimented or has advise for using these drivers in a sound bar layout that would provide a more appropriate form factor for this application.
Now that sounds like it could be interesting! Maybe just a single driver (LGK) in the center running full range, OR....

1 in the center and 2 on each side sealed, crossed over to handle a bit more bass.

I wonder how big the enclosure would have to be? If you did do it, and wanted to mount it above a flat panel, I picture that being up against a wall and there would probably be all sorts of issues with the reflections off of that wall.

Danny Richie

« Reply #2 on: 28 Aug 2014, 07:21 pm »
I have had some ideas in mind.

One issue is that each woofer needs a pretty fair amount of air space. So if I let a woofer play nearly full range and put one on each end to help out in the lower range then the box wouldn't be real wide, but it would be pretty deep.

I'll get back to this idea in a little while.

cody69

« Reply #3 on: 28 Aug 2014, 09:30 pm »
I have had some ideas in mind.

One issue is that each woofer needs a pretty fair amount of air space. So if I let a woofer play nearly full range and put one on each end to help out in the lower range then the box wouldn't be real wide, but it would be pretty deep.

I'll get back to this idea in a little while.

Danny - Depth isn't a problem in my particular case as the TV sits on a cabinet, not wall mounted, so no constraints here within reason.
Am glad to work from ideas and do some experimenting to come up with a sound bar design.
Given the great sound from LGKs, am sure others will find this interesting.

Early B.

« Reply #4 on: 28 Aug 2014, 11:45 pm »
I would definitely be interested, as well. One of the selling points of a sound bar is that they have a shallow depth, and virtually no air space behind it, i.e. ability to hang on the wall. Another option could be a pair of powered LGK's which would certainly sound significantly better than TV speakers.

nickd

« Reply #5 on: 29 Aug 2014, 02:54 pm »
How about building it as a 3 speaker box. Left-center-right, and use the "Zvox Soundbase 580" as a model for size. It is 36"w x 16.5" deep x 5" high.

Set your flat screen on top hook up the 5.1 receiver and a nice servo sub and let it rock. :drums:
« Last Edit: 29 Aug 2014, 09:00 pm by nickd »

Danny Richie

« Reply #6 on: 29 Aug 2014, 03:05 pm »
Alright I have an idea.

I have a few projects I need to get finished first like the new MMTMM design using these drivers. Let me get that stuff done and then I'll start cutting wood.

LSfromBC

« Reply #7 on: 4 Sep 2014, 09:58 pm »
hi Danny,

how about a large soundbar like 76 inches wide X 16.5 inches deep? this is the top size of the stereo cabinet my 60" tv is sitting on. I imagine you could design a
mmmmtmmmm with these dimensions?

just wondering.

wait.....how about a mmmmmmmmtmmmmmmmm?

Danny Richie

« Reply #8 on: 4 Sep 2014, 10:16 pm »
I am working on the left and right mains for these right now. Drawing cabinet plans are no fun....  They have five woofers on the front in a thin tower with the top one playing full range and the lower four playing the lower end only. The crossover looks like will be a first order series design crossing very low. -3db looks like it will hit 73Hz. Rear ported design for the lower woofers and the upper one (front and back) is in a sealed box. The rear firing driver will be covering the two top octaves or so and won't require a lot of distance from the front wall.

For a center I can basically do the same thing with the center one handling the full range duty. And I'll have to add a port on each end for the outer woofers. And no rear facing driver on it.

hansmatt

« Reply #9 on: 12 Sep 2014, 04:23 pm »
I also like the idea of a soundbar...even if it is deeper for placing the TV on top.  I'd much prefer a GR product compared to the alternative solutions. 

Doublej

« Reply #10 on: 12 Sep 2014, 05:53 pm »
I am working on the left and right mains for these right now. Drawing cabinet plans are no fun....  They have five woofers on the front in a thin tower with the top one playing full range and the lower four playing the lower end only. The crossover looks like will be a first order series design crossing very low. -3db looks like it will hit 73Hz. Rear ported design for the lower woofers and the upper one (front and back) is in a sealed box. The rear firing driver will be covering the two top octaves or so and won't require a lot of distance from the front wall.

For a center I can basically do the same thing with the center one handling the full range duty. And I'll have to add a port on each end for the outer woofers. And no rear facing driver on it.

Are you drawing plans by hand?

Danny Richie

« Reply #11 on: 12 Sep 2014, 06:00 pm »
Are you drawing plans by hand?

No. I have to draw them on the computer so I can easily print them off for customers and make them available in .pdf format.

Doublej

« Reply #12 on: 12 Sep 2014, 10:03 pm »
No. I have to draw them on the computer so I can easily print them off for customers and make them available in .pdf format.

That's still old school. I figured you'd be using some sort of CAD software...

grimace

« Reply #13 on: 16 Oct 2014, 11:31 pm »

Danny, any luck on this?  Would be a great design.

Danny Richie

« Reply #14 on: 17 Oct 2014, 12:33 am »
Danny, any luck on this?  Would be a great design.

Cabinets are being made right now.

grimace

« Reply #15 on: 20 Nov 2014, 09:15 pm »
Cabinets are being made right now.

Any luck on the soundbar Danny?  Have a new TV on the way...  :D

Danny Richie

« Reply #16 on: 21 Nov 2014, 02:27 am »
Any luck on the soundbar Danny?  Have a new TV on the way...  :D

I haven't been able to get to it yet.