XLS Encore and Servo

rockdrummer

Re: XLS Encore and Servo
« Reply #40 on: 23 Nov 2014, 10:41 pm »
Oh gosh, no I am not sure. Either Krylon or Rustolium flat black primer plus paint.

I was skeptical of filling my basement with spraypaint fumes.
Ben

Captainhemo

« Reply #41 on: 23 Nov 2014, 10:51 pm »
If you do it outside in the cool (garage),  spray a test board first and make sure you have no advrse effects.  I'd think you will be ok ,  but it is probably going to dry slooooowly which may/may not effect your 2nd coat

-jay

lacro

« Reply #42 on: 23 Nov 2014, 11:49 pm »
Oh gosh, no I am not sure. Either Krylon or Rustolium flat black primer plus paint.

I was skeptical of filling my basement with spraypaint fumes.
Ben

When painting in cool temps, I like to preheat both the paint surface, and the paint before applying.

rockdrummer

« Reply #43 on: 24 Nov 2014, 01:15 pm »
Thanks guys.  I have set a goal for between now and Sunday, to get this sub painted and assembled. 

Then I get the treat of having my first servo experience!!!

Have a good Thanksgiving everyone.

Ben

rockdrummer

« Reply #44 on: 14 Dec 2014, 04:35 pm »
Hello, it is up and running. I still have lots to learn and tweak as far as settings go. It was surprisingly quiet. I had the gain below half at first and with the receiver volume set at about where I watch tv it wasn't even playing. So I went to half and it was moving but quiet. Up to about 3/4 gain on the sub amp and music turned up a bit and it was clearly putting out some nice bass.

I checked the AVR settings and I need to recheck that because there may be something that needs to be changed there.

I was assuming there would be lots more output though. For now, it looks like I need to keep the gain way up to match the output of the other sub i had. For sealed sub owners, where do you have the gain and what did you first experience with yours?

Heavy beast. Off to my brother in about 2 weeks. He is excited.

Ben

Danny Richie

« Reply #45 on: 14 Dec 2014, 06:11 pm »
Hello, it is up and running. I still have lots to learn and tweak as far as settings go. It was surprisingly quiet. I had the gain below half at first and with the receiver volume set at about where I watch tv it wasn't even playing. So I went to half and it was moving but quiet. Up to about 3/4 gain on the sub amp and music turned up a bit and it was clearly putting out some nice bass.

I checked the AVR settings and I need to recheck that because there may be something that needs to be changed there.

I was assuming there would be lots more output though. For now, it looks like I need to keep the gain way up to match the output of the other sub i had. For sealed sub owners, where do you have the gain and what did you first experience with yours?

Ben

It's all a matter of output level verses input sensitivity. You can put a Y adapter on the two inputs (left and right) and use both inputs to increase the input sensitivity and thus have more output per a given setting.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #46 on: 14 Dec 2014, 07:46 pm »
Also, make sure the speaker level setting for the sub in your AVR is not set to something like -12dB. That could cause you to have to have the gain on the sub way up.  Even if your AVR's room correction set the sub this low (Audyssey did this to me) you may not want to leave it there. I kept running the set up program over and over with different gain positions on the sub's plate amp until Audyssey had the sub's level around -3dB.

One point about these direct servo subs. I have a sealed 12" and most of the time with music I cannot tell it is playing unless I go over right up next to it, or switch it off. With movie sound effects it is a different story. When the couch and walls start shaking it is a pretty good indication the sub is working   :thumb:.

Mike

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #47 on: 14 Dec 2014, 08:04 pm »
"One point about these direct servo subs. I have a sealed 12" and most of the time with music I cannot tell it is playing unless I go over right up next to it, or switch it off. With movie sound effects it is a different story. When the couch and walls start shaking it is a pretty good indication the sub is working   :thumb:.

Mike"

Mike,

My F12G used to have the same setting (nearly unnoticeable with music) until an audiophile buddy came for a visit. He suggested my sub was set too low, so I increased the gain/volume. In HT the sub is incredible! Too my relatively inexperienced ears there's now a tad too much bass with music, but that may be because I only had monitors for so many years.  :scratch:

I'm really glad I bought this sub.

Michael

Danny Richie

« Reply #48 on: 14 Dec 2014, 08:21 pm »
The funny thing is that the servo controlled subs lack something that most people associate with a sub-woofer. They miss the "boom" that they are used to. The boom of overshoot and stored energy that lingers on after each note no longer exists. Now they hear the music only. 

lacro

« Reply #49 on: 14 Dec 2014, 08:24 pm »
Now - here's a 'real' pair of sub woofers :icon_lol:

I couldn't resist  :green:

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #50 on: 14 Dec 2014, 08:53 pm »

:rotflmao:   :rotflmao:   :rotflmao:

Mike

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #51 on: 14 Dec 2014, 09:05 pm »
"One point about these direct servo subs. I have a sealed 12" and most of the time with music I cannot tell it is playing unless I go over right up next to it, or switch it off. With movie sound effects it is a different story. When the couch and walls start shaking it is a pretty good indication the sub is working   :thumb:.

Mike"

Mike,

My F12G used to have the same setting (nearly unnoticeable with music) until an audiophile buddy came for a visit. He suggested my sub was set too low, so I increased the gain/volume. In HT the sub is incredible! Too my relatively inexperienced ears there's now a tad too much bass with music, but that may be because I only had monitors for so many years.  :scratch:

I'm really glad I bought this sub.

Michael

Michael,

To me unnoticeable with music is a good thing. My F12 blends so well with the N3s you can't pick it out. Like Danny said, no boom or over run, just one coherent soundstage from sub 20Hz to 20K Hz. I have tried running the sub hotter and didn't like it so I turned it back down.

All that and still more than enough punch for sound effects. As an added bonus, you can actually understand the dialogue after the explosion.

Mike

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #52 on: 14 Dec 2014, 11:02 pm »

Ben

Mine needed a few hours to break in before reaching full potential.  It was oddly quiet at first but gradually got louder until it was able to shake the walls.

Captainhemo

« Reply #53 on: 15 Dec 2014, 03:56 am »
The funny thing is that the servo controlled subs lack something that most people associate with a sub-woofer. They miss the "boom" that they are used to. The boom of overshoot and stored energy that lingers on after each note no longer exists. Now they hear the music only.

One of its bst features  :thumb:
And it's  speed/accuracy which are actually  directly related to the above

Mine needed a few hours to break in before reaching full potential.  It was oddly quiet at first but gradually got louder until it was able to shake the walls.

Both my H-frmes were the same way, as they  broke in  I  turned the gain down significantly

-jay

rockdrummer

« Reply #54 on: 23 Dec 2014, 01:42 pm »
Okay, I need to finish up with this thread. 
After several days with this sub, I have learned several things.  One, is I have quite a learning curve every time I add a new piece of gear.  When I first listened to the pair of AV series bookshelves I built for my parents, I had a "personal break in period".  Going from the metal dome tweeter in my definitive technology speakers to the silk dome required some time.  My ears, and brain, needed the same time with this sub.

Danny summed up my situation.  I went from a sunfire sub, to a servo sub.  There was definitely extra boom in the sunfire. 
I sold it a couple weeks ago so I couldn't do an A-B test.

Steve Earle's "I'll never make it out of this world alive" has some great articulate bass and some floor tom parts that I knew were there, but I heard in effortless detail with the servo.

Harry Connick Jr.'s Christmas album "When my heart finds Christmas" also has lots of upright bass.  And wow, listening to bass players is so much more interesting when you hear everything they play.  My sunfire clearly couldn't play notes higher in the instruments register when they would play those walking bass lines.  But the servo did.

The Wallflower's "God don't make lonely girls".  I love that song, and the kick drum had some real character through the servo.

I didn't use this for home theater much at all, but in Saving Private Ryan, towards the end when Tom Hanks and company are waiting for the final battle, the tank that they hear off in the distance was so fun to listen to.  Watched it 3 times.  It was subtle but clear and created more of the experience probably intended by the sound engineers.

All in all, servo has blown my mind and I can't wait to hear OB servo bass!  Someday, hopefully soon.

Thanks for all the build and finish advice everyone!  I have learned so much in the last 4-5 years here and can't wait for my next project.

Ben

Architect7

• Sound Quality Addict
« Reply #55 on: 28 Dec 2014, 01:40 pm »
My reaction exactly to servo bass.  Like nothing I had heard before and it did take some getting used to but now I can't go back regular subs.  They all sound boomy and forced to me now.  Meanwhile my FV15HP is so clean and articulate, I can't wait to try OB servo next as well!