XLS Encore and Servo

PDR

• May the best man win
Re: XLS Encore and Servo
« Reply #20 on: 15 Aug 2013, 01:32 am »
For some reason I'm thinking you may be close to me....
maybe a post I read??

I'm just outside, about 1/2hr east, of Edmonton.
If so let me know, I may be able to help you out with
a new baffle. I've done a little Diy on cabinets.

I'm out of town till next week, let me know.

rockdrummer

« Reply #21 on: 15 Aug 2013, 01:44 pm »
PDR, I am in Minneapolis.

Quite a place here with so many people who are so willing to help. I couldn't be doing this fun hobby without Danny's top notch product and customer service and the huge support system for noobs like me. Thanks everyone.

I probably won't get to it until tonight or tomorrow at the earliest, but i think i will start over with a fresh baffle.

Ben

rockdrummer

« Reply #22 on: 6 Jan 2014, 06:49 pm »
Hi everyone from a very cold MN!  I am slowly working through building the remaining stand, I need to round over the back woofer hole of my fixed front baffle.  This cold weather makes that impossible!  hahaha

I have all pieces cut, minus the cutout for the amp in the back of the sub.  I need to round-over the braces with circle cutouts inside the sealed sub.  Do I round over the back of the front baffle too? 

I also plan to use some trim screws to go in from the side, top and or bottom for the braces.  And maybe even around the front and back baffles too. I know the pieces are pretty close, but the precise fit won't be there so this will make it rock solid. I will either use the glazing putty? stuff mentioned or some other sandable and paintable putty to fill in around the sub and xls cabinets and also the stands. 

Anyway, looking forward to posting some pics if I can get to work soon, weather permitting. 
Have a great week.

Ben Young

rockdrummer

« Reply #23 on: 13 Jan 2014, 04:58 pm »

There is a pic of the stands.  One on the left is mostly finished.  Will be drawing up the top of that stand to get started with the last stage.  Heavy.  Both stands are solid.  I want my brother to order decent spikes for both the stands and the speakers on top of them. 
Sorry that picture is pretty bad.

Current state of the sub.  I need to sand a bit to get a couple pieces to fit nicely.  I also will need measure for the amp cutout yet. 

Thanks for looking.

Ben

rockdrummer

« Reply #24 on: 14 Jan 2014, 06:01 pm »

A couple more additions to the sub.  After I measure and get the amp cutout made, I will sand the whole thing to cut down a couple high spots in butt joints.  I got an Elmer's product, wood filler to put over and around where needed to seal/cover all the joints. 

I will round over the sharp corners just a little and then prime and paint.  Same for the speaker stands and xls encore cabinets.

I was planning to use a spray-on primer and final paint.  I just used a basic Krylon satin black for my first speaker project.  Not sure what to use this time.

Thanks again for looking.

Ben

rockdrummer

« Reply #25 on: 6 Apr 2014, 06:49 pm »
So here I am. Planned the entire weekend to work at my brothers place to finish his speakers, stands and sub. Lots of progress and I will post pics but I am going to wire up the xls crossovers and I don't know where the heat shrink goes, if any on the boards. Do I only put it on the driver end of the ofc?
Thanks
Ben

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #26 on: 6 Apr 2014, 08:14 pm »
Ben,

Check out this thread.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=83325.0

Scroll down to Reply  #15

Mike

rockdrummer

« Reply #27 on: 6 Apr 2014, 09:15 pm »
Thanks Mike.
I wasn't sure if I should find a way to put it near the board.
Here is a pic of the sub amp cutout.
Ben

rockdrummer

« Reply #28 on: 6 Apr 2014, 09:17 pm »
Xls encore ready for primer

rockdrummer

« Reply #29 on: 6 Apr 2014, 09:32 pm »
Stand one. Stand two is not painted uet.

rockdrummer

« Reply #30 on: 7 Apr 2014, 01:36 am »
Here are a few more pictures the encores. Cant wait to hear them. I used elmers wood filler. Great for the small cracks but when sanding got near the ends of the mdf it didnt seal.

bdp24

« Reply #31 on: 7 Apr 2014, 03:18 am »
Wicked cool looking stand! For spikes, Parts Express has some really good ones. There is a Dayton model that is long and thin (1/2" diameter X 1-3/8" long, with 6mm threaded studs and inserts) in satin black, and another that is the same diameter but shorter.

Captainhemo

« Reply #32 on: 7 Apr 2014, 03:44 am »
Very nice Ben,  your brother is going to be thrilled  !!

I'd imagine they are going to sound great together, keep us posted

-jay

rockdrummer

« Reply #33 on: 7 Apr 2014, 04:50 am »
Not particularly happy with how this stand is turning out. I think the flat black will help.

Danny Richie

« Reply #34 on: 7 Apr 2014, 02:00 pm »
So here I am. Planned the entire weekend to work at my brothers place to finish his speakers, stands and sub. Lots of progress and I will post pics but I am going to wire up the xls crossovers and I don't know where the heat shrink goes, if any on the boards. Do I only put it on the driver end of the ofc?
Thanks
Ben

Terminal connections of the tweeter, woofer, and binding post cups.

rockdrummer

« Reply #35 on: 12 Apr 2014, 04:53 pm »
Hi everyone. Do I need to do anything specific like sealing, etc around the amp cutout? I am thinking heat related.
Here are a couple sub pictures.

Thanks for looking. Of course any advice or feedback is encouraged!
Ben

rockdrummer

« Reply #36 on: 12 Apr 2014, 05:07 pm »
I forgot to mention I have the outer front baffle left to glue on. And using screws to anchor both sides and the top and bottom to the braces inside. Is that overkill or will that help any way?
Ben

rockdrummer

« Reply #37 on: 29 Apr 2014, 02:56 pm »
Some sub pics and the wood filler I used.

Thanks for looking.
Ben

rockdrummer

« Reply #38 on: 23 Nov 2014, 10:05 pm »

Sent the last speaker stand to my brother a couple weeks ago.

It has been a while but one step left. Paint the sub.

Would anyone have advice about painting in my cold garage, with a small heater it is around 50 or 60 degrees or in my mechanical room? Leaning towards the garage.

Ben

lacro

« Reply #39 on: 23 Nov 2014, 10:36 pm »

Sent the last speaker stand to my brother a couple weeks ago.

It has been a while but one step left. Paint the sub.

Would anyone have advice about painting in my cold garage, with a small heater it is around 50 or 60 degrees or in my mechanical room? Leaning towards the garage.

Ben

What type of paint are you using?