Omegas with class D amplification?

lousyreeds1

Omegas with class D amplification?
« on: 14 Feb 2017, 11:08 pm »
Hi all,

I'm interested to hear whether there are folks out there using high-quality class D amps (Red Dragon, Rogue, etc) with their Omegas.  I'm considering this for my Super 6 XRS, and I'd appreciate hearing thoughts.  I'm beginning to realize my 8wpc SET amp might just not have enough juice for my space.  Thoughts welcome - many thanks.

mrvco

Re: Omegas with class D amplification?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Feb 2017, 11:19 pm »
Class D amps seem to work well with Omega Speakers.  I have a Fleawatt Class D amp and it sounds great with my Omegas, but I wouldn't expect it to sound better than a good SET amplifier.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 15 Feb 2017, 12:03 am »
I'm beginning to realize my 8wpc SET amp might just not have enough juice for my space.  Thoughts welcome - many thanks.

An 8w/ch SET should have plenty of grunt for your speakers.  What amp is it, and what is the size of your space?

MarkR7

« Reply #3 on: 15 Feb 2017, 04:21 am »
I'm using the Red Dragon S500 with my Super Alnico monitors, and the sound I get is glorious! This is coming from a previous SET user! A tube preamp up in front is mandatory IMO.

guillaume bougard

« Reply #4 on: 15 Feb 2017, 10:42 pm »
@Markr7
what preamp do you use with the Red Dragon amp?

MarkR7

« Reply #5 on: 16 Feb 2017, 04:33 am »
I actually have a couple of preamps now, and both of them work great with the Red Dragon amp.  I use a Dodd Adj. Gain  battery powered preamp, and also a Decware CSP2+ preamp. The latter let's me really tailor the sound by swapping and mixing tubes. Both preamps have been modded with Jupiter copper foil caps. Both preamps have amazing sonic qualities, much, much beyond their price points, and synergize very well with the S500.
« Last Edit: 16 Feb 2017, 12:54 pm by MarkR7 »

tdogzthmn

« Reply #6 on: 22 Feb 2017, 11:25 pm »
Hi all,

I'm interested to hear whether there are folks out there using high-quality class D amps (Red Dragon, Rogue, etc) with their Omegas.  I'm considering this for my Super 6 XRS, and I'd appreciate hearing thoughts.  I'm beginning to realize my 8wpc SET amp might just not have enough juice for my space.  Thoughts welcome - many thanks.

I owned a Rouge Sphinx for awhile but ended up selling it once I got a Fleawatt.  The Rouge had too much power for most of the speakers I own and it tended to be noisy where my other amps had a blacker background.  The Fleawatt was so close in performance that I couldn't justify keeping the Sphinx.

EVOLVIST

« Reply #7 on: 2 Mar 2017, 07:48 am »
Have a look at D-Sonic amps. I have a buddy who's using a 400wpc D-Sonic going into his Eggleston Works Andra II and the imaging is out of this world. No preamp needed, save for what he has coming out of his Mytek Brooklyn DAC.

Read the 6moon review. It's a killer amp.

http://www.d-sonic.net/

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #8 on: 2 Mar 2017, 02:50 pm »
Have a look at D-Sonic amps. I have a buddy who's using a 400wpc D-Sonic going into his Eggleston Works Andra II and the imaging is out of this world. No preamp needed, save for what he has coming out of his Mytek Brooklyn DAC.

Read the 6moon review. It's a killer amp.

http://www.d-sonic.net/
400W would not be too much for these Omega speakers?
What would be the suited power? (100W)?

EVOLVIST

« Reply #9 on: 2 Mar 2017, 03:44 pm »
400W would not be too much for these Omega speakers?
What would be the suited power? (100W)?

Yeah, but this one goes up to 11 !!!

roscoe65

« Reply #10 on: 2 Mar 2017, 04:46 pm »
I would argue that going beyond 10-20 good watts is not only unnecessary but unusable with the smaller (RS5) Omega's.  We would expect compression starting at 100dB or so with this driver, implying that a 5wpc amp will get it as "loud" as it will go.

EVOLVIST

« Reply #11 on: 2 Mar 2017, 05:08 pm »
I would argue that going beyond 10-20 good watts is not only unnecessary but unusable with the smaller (RS5) Omega's.  We would expect compression starting at 100dB or so with this driver, implying that a 5wpc amp will get it as "loud" as it will go.

I wish there was a "like" button in this forum. I really am a newbie to all things speakers.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #12 on: 2 Mar 2017, 06:29 pm »
I asked why a D 100W is less expensive and make less noise floor than a 400W, also there is the Bryston B60 no inexpensive thou.