SOLD 1 pr Celestion SL600 speakers in poor condition for rehab $85.00

mike_p

• You Never Blow Your Trip Forever
One of the tweeters is caved-in & the other has 2 dimples. Both should be replaced w/different HF drivers, unless you have better luck than I did finding OEM replacements or used tweeters in good condition. (I've tried to source the original tweeters w/o success.)

The mid/base drivers and surrounds are in good to very good shape. 1 banana input jack on one cabinet has pulled loose and needs to be replaced.

The Aerolam cabinets are non-resonant and with the right tweeters could make these worth fixing.

I've also got a spare SL600 mid/bass driver and single crossover (both factory originals) that someone cannibalized to make a clone, and you can have those too if you want them, no charge.

Here's a write-up ˆ found on the web:

EXCELLENT SMALL SPEAKER which broke new ground with an aluminium honeycomb sealed enclosure (no ports) for resonance-free bass, and low coloration impulse-response plus laser tested drivers.
In 1983, this revolution in loudspeaker design culminated in the fabulous SL600 speaker which featured an aluminium honeycomb cabinet, achieving a remarkably high stiffness/weight ratio. The SL600 set new standards for audiophile performance from relatively small cabinets. Below are quotes from Stereophile Magazine:

Celestion SL600: two-way, sealed-box loudspeaker with Aerolam (aluminum-honeycomb) enclosure. Drive-units: 1.25" copper-dome tweeter, 6.5" Kobex-cone (PVC) woofer. Crossover frequency: 2.3kHz, second-order, 12dB/octave slopes. Frequency response: 60Hz-20kHz 3dB, low-end, -6dB at 60Hz in free-space conditions. Sensitivity: 82dB/W/m. Nominal impedance: 8 ohms. Amplifier requirements: up to 120W on program.
Dimensions: 14.5" (368mm) H by 7.75" (197mm) W by 9.25" (235mm) D. Enclosure volume: 12 litres (0.4 cubic feet).
Weight: 11.25 lbs (5.1kg) each.
Serial numbers of units tested: Not noted.
Price: $1630/pair (1986); $1995/pair (1989-1992); no longer available (2003).

"Conceptually, the SL600 was designed to have a fast time signature, especially with regard to its remarkable enclosure, which was engineered for low energy storage. The introduction of this enclosure was a major step forward in reducing the box coloration restraining the performance of so many other systems."

"For those unfamiliar with the '600, this established high-tech design uses a one-piece, pure piston, copper-dome tweeter, and a well-terminated, 6.5", synthetic flared-cone woofer. Built on cast metal frames, these drivers are mounted in a compact, low-mass enclosure of exceptional stiffness. This costly construction is fabricated of Aerolam, a low-mass aircraft structural material.
The developers used laser strobes for analyzing cone breakup, and the tweeter I think it was aerolam - certainly a honeycomb aluminium composite; they use it to build Chiefton tanks.
« Last Edit: 29 Oct 2012, 02:58 am by mike_p »