Which companies still make a SS pre-amp with xlr outs and tone controls?

Huck

I realize that tone controls are looked down upon,but I like the idea of changing the sound on the fly,so which companies other than Mcintosh are still making pre-amps (non phono)which have at least a pair of xlr MAIN outs and tone controls? Please spare me the lectures about how bad tone controls are,or needing room treatments,etc. I am located in Canada. Thanks,Huck
« Last Edit: 25 Nov 2014, 12:58 pm by Huck »

WireNut

Wow good question. I don't know of any but I guess somebody makes them. It might be easier to add an EQ thru the tape monitor loop.
Yeah, that's what I'd do. That way you can buy ANY preamp with XLR Outs.

guest61169

Why XLR outs?   What power amp are you using?

wagnju

so far I know Parasound only when you look for a new unit , otherwise I would look on the used market .

Parasound Halo P5 preamp

Tomy2Tone

DSPeaker Antimode Dual Core 2.0 has it all plus room correction. You can adjust treble and bass as well as loudness by remote on the fly. I believe it's been recommended to get a good power supply for the DSPeaker to reach its full potential for sound quality.

richidoo

Parasound P5 has tone controls on front panel and remote, sub level control on front panel, bass management, xlr in and out. Halo is John Curl designed circuit.

Huck

Why XLR outs?   What power amp are you using?

I am running a pair of powered speakers,plus a powered sub,so I need to come out of the pre-amp via xlr's into my subwoofer,through that x-over into my mains. Thanks,

Phil A

From the Emotiva manual:

"7, 9. HF and LF Trim Controls
Note: The Trim feature and the Trim controls only operate when enabled using the Direct
function (Direct Off). Both the mode (On or Off), and the settings themselves, are retained
when the XSP-1 is put into Standby or powered down.
To operate the Trim Controls, press HF or LF to view the current setting; the display will return
to normal after a few seconds. While the setting is visible on the display, use the Boost and Cut
buttons to raise or lower the level. High-frequencies and low-frequencies can each be individually
boost or cut by up to +/- 3 dB (in 1 dB increments)."

guest61169

I am running a pair of powered speakers,plus a powered sub,so I need to come out of the pre-amp via xlr's into my subwoofer,through that x-over into my mains. Thanks,

A cheapie option would be to use any preamp with tone controls + a direct box, like:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR3.TRC1.A0.H0.Xaphex+124a&_nkw=aphex+124a&_sacat=0

I use an Aphex in my video system between my Oppo and a pair of Yamaha HS8s.

Quiet Earth

It might be easier to add an EQ thru the tape monitor loop.  That way you can buy ANY preamp with XLR Outs.

I think that's a great idea. If you have a preamp with balanced outputs and no tone no tape out, you could place a pro-audio EQ after the preamp and before the sub, or after the sub and before the mains. (Assuming the sub has XLR line out.)

Check out the JDK Audio R24 equalizer. It also has transformer balanced outputs which would give you a little bit of isolation and good impedance matching : http://www.jdkaudio.com/r24.html

WireNut

I think that's a great idea. If you have a preamp with balanced outputs and no tone no tape out, you could place a pro-audio EQ after the preamp and before the sub, or after the sub and before the mains. (Assuming the sub has XLR line out.)

Check out the JDK Audio R24 equalizer. It also has transformer balanced outputs which would give you a little bit of isolation and good impedance matching : http://www.jdkaudio.com/r24.html

I'd love to have one of those units.
I was looking at that one awhile back just didn't have the funds. I like the idea of a parametric EQ rather then a standard EQ. And it's adjustable on each channel encase your system/room like mine is a out of balance.
Great suggestion Quiet Earth  :thumb:

Huck

so far I know Parasound only when you look for a new unit , otherwise I would look on the used market .

Parasound Halo P5 preamp

Sorry....I should have stated that I am in Canada and Parasound does not sell in Canada.Also I am using currently a Denon d.j. mixer which has a 3 band equalizer,xlr outs......Looking for something sonically better.Thanks

audio.bill

Luxman makes superb solid state preamps with XLR outputs and tone controls, but they are not inexpensive. I can attest to the fact that their build and sound quality are commensurate with their cost.  :thumb: You can sometimes find some used models available at significant discounts; a website like http://www.hifishark.com/ can be helpful to locate them.

Phil A

There's also the Cambridge Audio Azur 851E

Huck

Thanks everyone! Huck