Rolling 6sn7 tubes in Modwright Oppo 105...

dminches

Re: Rolling 6sn7 tubes in Modwright Oppo 105...
« Reply #20 on: 15 Dec 2013, 01:59 am »
That is an adapter.

JerryH

« Reply #21 on: 15 Dec 2013, 07:48 pm »
The Tungsol 6SN7's NOS round plates that I have are very microphonic. Sound great otherwise but just too much ringing.
I've been comparing the Genelex to a metal base GZ34 and a Blackburn Mullard CV593. The Mullard was sweet but lacked dynamics and bass. The Genelex pretty much was the equal to the Dutch metal base GZ34. It is a touch warmer and I like the tone better. To my ear, I prefer the Genelex but it's a very close comparison. This is in the LS100. My next comparison will be a Tungsol 5U4G and the GZ34 in the Oppo 95.
Came to post findings in the LS100 thread and thought I'd add it here.
Bottom line is the Genelex is a really worthwhile alternative and specially at $40. I got mine from Cyroset.

Artp

« Reply #22 on: 16 Dec 2013, 05:03 pm »
I've spent considerable time listening with the Mullard 5AR4, Sophia 6SN7, Create 5AR4 & 6SN7 in all possible combinations. The sound in my system is by far best with the Create Audio 5AR4 and 6SN7's together. Super linear and extended top to bottom, dead quiet, and a deep precise soundstage. I found the Sophia's to be big and spacious but the low end and soundstage accuracy were just not there compared to the Create Audio tubes. It seems that the Sophia and Mullard tubes would appeal more to the vintage tube sound lovers.

My system:

ModWright KWI-200
ModWright Tubed Oppo
Vandersteen 3A Sig

rbbert

« Reply #23 on: 16 Dec 2013, 10:21 pm »
Where can one buy a Create Audio 5AR4?  They aren't currently listed on the Synergy Hifi page?

Hedge-Hog

« Reply #24 on: 17 Dec 2013, 05:14 am »
Where can one buy a Create Audio 5AR4?  They aren't currently listed on the Synergy Hifi page?

http://store.jaguaraudiodesign.com/synergy-hifi-6sn7-el84-el34-and-5ar4/

Naun

« Reply #25 on: 17 Dec 2013, 10:41 am »

I have a spare unused one - please pm if interested.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #26 on: 17 Dec 2013, 05:32 pm »
Saying things like '...such-and-such tubes are microphonic' I think is incorrect.  It is the case that some makes and models tend to go microphonic but I wouldn't dismiss all of those tubes outright.  Buy your tubes from a vendor that tests for noise, like Brent Jesse or TC tubes and you should be just fine.  If you're particularly concerned about tube noise then specify to the vendor that you'd like low noise versions.  You may have to pay  a little more but you'll have your peace of mind.

Keep on rollin'!

rbbert

« Reply #27 on: 17 Dec 2013, 07:56 pm »
Brent Jessie and tubeworld are the ones who made the generic statements about most NOS 6SN7's being at least slightly microphonic, I was merely passing it on.  They have much more experience in such matters than I do.

rlmacklin

« Reply #28 on: 18 Dec 2013, 01:27 pm »
I ordered 4 Create 6SN7  tubes and 2 Create 5AR4 tubes from Jaguar yesterday and they shipped [something] same day
and I received USPS tracking number late afternoon.  Hopefully it is the entire order...and may arrive as soon as Friday.
At some point these will go in my Modwright Oppo 105 and also into my LS-100.
I will report results after a reasonable time frame for break-in.

thorman

« Reply #29 on: 18 Dec 2013, 02:14 pm »
I did quite a bit of tube rolling myself Oppo 105/Modwright Truth mods.......I also tried the Upscale Audio Phillips 5R4GY and finally ended up back to Sophia 6SN7 and Vintage Mullard 5AR4........It really depends on where your system is ( Tonally ) and how it all Gells with your set up. There are too many variables ( in my mind ) to say which sounds best, when it really boils down to how each set of tubes fills your personal requirements. I am sure all the tubes mentioned are as mentioned and also great tubes to try, but don't bet the farm on any combo until you try them.........

The Phillips 5R4GY was a nice tube, but being my system is quite neutral to start with the Phillips tube was just too lightweight and lean to go with the Sophia 6SN7 . For my rig  I have ended my tube search with Sophia 6SN7 and Mullard 5AR4 ..........

rbbert

« Reply #30 on: 20 Dec 2013, 08:34 pm »
Which vintage / country for your Mullard GZ34?

rbbert

« Reply #31 on: 1 Jan 2014, 01:18 am »
After leaving the Sophia 6SN7's on the whole time I've had them (just over two weeks), they seem to have lost their initial slight harshness and improved their bass quality. 

thorman

« Reply #32 on: 1 Jan 2014, 01:40 am »
 The Sophias will take at least 100 hours or so to get close to there final destination...They will continue to prove beyond 100 hours.. They tend to sound  Thin, edgy and bass thin for quite awhile. As time goes on they will improve dramatically and eventually sound sweet. open and complete......For me the GZ34 ( NOS ) Mullard and the Sophia 6sn7 are pure magic together...I can't imagine a better match, at least for my set up.........Like everything else ( in this crazy hobby ) different stokes for different folks is the rule........

rbbert

« Reply #33 on: 1 Jan 2014, 03:20 am »
I'm also using a Mullard GZ34, c. 1970 Japanese for now (at least).  Which are you using?

ajayrav

« Reply #34 on: 11 Jan 2014, 04:43 pm »
Just a quick update...  I swapped my current production Gold Lion rectifier with a NOS Mullard Blackburn GZ34 and left the Sophia 6sn7s in the unit.  Now we are talking!  I just am amazed at how wonderful this combination sounds... Wasn't that impressed with just changing out the EH 6sn7s with Sophias, and hated the Sophia/ Gold Lion combo (far too aggressive), however the Mullard/ Sophia is pure magic.  In my opinion, the rectifier definitely needs to be upgraded  along with the 6sn7s to hear what the   Modwright Oppo is truly capable of.  Others on this forum clearly concur....  I'm thrilled!

Ajay

MarkR7

« Reply #35 on: 11 Jan 2014, 06:53 pm »
Yes it's imperative that as you roll in different 6SN7s, you also roll in a rectifier. It's the combination that is key, as one or other will make or break the resulting sound quality!

Another fantastic sounding combination in my Modwright Oppo 95: a pair of Sylvania shorty chrometop 6SN7Ws (black base, green lettering) with an RCA 5R4GY. This combo gives me an awesome soundstage, great mids, and good balance on both sides of the sonic spectrum. Sweet!

rbbert

« Reply #36 on: 12 Jan 2014, 10:20 pm »
So I got this GZ34 yesterday

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1950s-Vintage-NOS-NIB-Mullard-5AR4-GZ34-F31-Dual-D-Getter-Vacuum-Tube-/121238392325?ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:US:1120

It certainly appears to be a f31 Mullard from 1958 but it's not a fat base.  In fact it looks more like one of the Dutch f31's (smooth plates) but it has the X8C code on the bottom that I thought indicated Great Britain.  Did Philips (Mullard) make non-fat base GR34's in GB in 1958?

In any case, not even well broken-in it sounds pretty nice!

JG2

« Reply #37 on: 12 Feb 2014, 03:33 pm »
Your 1958 Dutch made (X marking) Philips production GZ-34 / 5AR4 was the first version made after the metal base. If you had this tube and a metal base GZ-34 (all were Philips production) side by side, the internals would be identical: Double 'D' getters and smooth plates. I have not taken the time to do an A/B comparison but others who have claim they sound similar, if not identical, to the metal base version.

I hope you like it (I do!) as it is WAY less $$$ than the metal base.

Here is some GZ-34 history you may find interesting:

http://www.tube-classics.de/TC/Tubes/Valvo%20GZ34/GZ34.htm

dminches

« Reply #38 on: 12 Feb 2014, 04:08 pm »
Very interesting. I actually have several of those. 1 is a relabeled Rogers.

Longandstraight

« Reply #39 on: 18 Feb 2014, 09:51 pm »
Just took delivery of a Modwright 105 Darbee with all the mods. Swapped out the rectifier with the above mentioned Mullard and I am hearing things behind me, which I have never experienced this before....Amazing. Just swapped out the the player tubes with the Sophias and have yet to hear the big jump over the stock tubes. Only have 10 hrs so far so I know it will take a little time.
This player is truly a bargain. I have 2 2tb hard drives of hi-rez music and it plays flawlessly thru the usb with the Oppo  Ipad app. I pull music off my computer  network. On top of that the player is a world class Blu-ray player. the Darbee is worth the extra 100 as I have it hooked up to a 92 inch projection system and allows dsd streaming thru the computer.  Truly a bargain. The wife can actually operate it and upgraded Pandora doesn't sound too bad.
I tried the Mac Mini and  a Modded Eastern Electric Mini Max dac plus and it was complicated. I had a Bryston BDP-1 and the Dac plus and could never get the sound I was looking for. Plus the Bryston was slow and couldn't handle the portable hard drives. So I bit the bullet and for a grand more I got the Oppo. What a bargain!!