My camcorder broke!

BobC

My camcorder broke!
« on: 6 Jul 2015, 06:56 pm »
So I've got a Sony Handycam HDR-CX260V that has started to act up.  Sometimes when I turn it on the screen is "whited out" and I can barely see the outlines of images.  The issue is not just the screen as the phenomenon carries over to the recorded file as well.

So, I called Sony, who directed me to Precision Camera....who's minimum charge quote was $256 to fix (with no description on the issue).....but the camera was <$250, and I can but a new model for <$230!!!

Does anyone have experience with issues such as these and can offer suggested troubleshooting?

.....or is the simple message that repairs are only for expensive devices and any "consumer electronic" is disposable?!?  Frustrating because the device is maybe only 3 years old. (I think I know the answer)

Jon L

Re: My camcorder broke!
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jul 2015, 10:33 pm »
Sony service is well known to be the most overpriced, clueless of all the major brands, so...  :dunno:

stlrman

« Reply #2 on: 6 Jul 2015, 11:49 pm »
Bob , try taking it to a local place that fixes tvs , stereo , or camera gear. I have had amps and speakers fixed like this .

BobC

« Reply #3 on: 7 Jul 2015, 01:23 pm »
I called a local camera repair shop.  They told me they send all camcorders to the manufacturer (Sony) who in turn send everything the Precision Camera.  So I'm stuck, unless I want to keep calling around.

I'm thinking F it, and buy a new one for $230 at Costco I guess.  Just disappointed that that a Sony unit only lasted maybe 3 years.  (It's been around....Europe, multiple beach vacations, many many family events, etc....but we took good care of it....)

Bemopti123

« Reply #4 on: 7 Jul 2015, 01:54 pm »
I remember reading an article about the value of fixing electronics....if it cost more than 1/2 its original price, then it is not worth it.  What is happening to you Bob, is simply that you are caught in the economics of mass made electronics of today.  Many of the items are not simply meant to be repaired.  I am sure just one component failed but if you look at the electronics today, I mean those small surface mount components that I cannot even phantom repair or worse trouble shoot, it means that what fixing needs to be done might be a wholesale board replacement! 

Perhaps it would be best to purchase another camcorder for the price FOR there is no guarantee that your camcorder that has returned from SONY would last longer than the warranty they give you. 

PS:  I was one of the idiots who at my youth sent a SONY CDPlayer and also SONY Boombox to be fixed in NJ....Believe me, it was not worth the bother. 

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #5 on: 7 Jul 2015, 02:02 pm »
My 60" HD LCD Sony tv only lasted 9 months.  :duh:

V...

Bemopti123

« Reply #6 on: 7 Jul 2015, 03:02 pm »
My 60" HD LCD Sony tv only lasted 9 months.  :duh:

V...

Sony warranty from back in the days are the worst.  90 days labor?????  1 year parts?  How do you determine what is wrong with what?  Moreover, that one boombox I had expired just after the 9 days.  Time bomb. 

BobC

« Reply #7 on: 7 Jul 2015, 04:06 pm »
I remember reading an article about the value of fixing electronics....if it cost more than 1/2 its original price, then it is not worth it.  What is happening to you Bob, is simply that you are caught in the economics of mass made electronics of today.  Many of the items are not simply meant to be repaired.  I am sure just one component failed but if you look at the electronics today, I mean those small surface mount components that I cannot even phantom repair or worse trouble shoot, it means that what fixing needs to be done might be a wholesale board replacement! 

Perhaps it would be best to purchase another camcorder for the price FOR there is no guarantee that your camcorder that has returned from SONY would last longer than the warranty they give you. 

PS:  I was one of the idiots who at my youth sent a SONY CDPlayer and also SONY Boombox to be fixed in NJ....Believe me, it was not worth the bother.

I understand and agree completely.  It's not just the money here...when I think about the amount of effort and resources it took to bring this device to me, only to fail in 3 years, I get a cynical discomfort of living in a consumer economy.  Maybe I can recycle it to feel better :)

ACHiPo

« Reply #8 on: 8 Jul 2015, 01:56 am »
It's not just the money here...when I think about the amount of effort and resources it took to bring this device to me, only to fail in 3 years, I get a cynical discomfort of living in a consumer economy.  Maybe I can recycle it to feel better :)

With a BF HAMMER!!!! :lol:

BobM

« Reply #9 on: 8 Jul 2015, 12:50 pm »
These days the pace of improvement in electronics plus the relatively cheap pricing of them makes me believe that when one breaks it is rarely worthwhile to have them fixed, unless you can do so yourself and save the service charge.

GentleBender

« Reply #10 on: 8 Jul 2015, 01:56 pm »
The thing that worries me is the amount of e-waste we produce upgrading and replacing so many different devices so often. I'm know I am part of the problem, but I try to baby my devices and pass them on to others when I upgrade. Problem is the pace is so fast.  :duh: