Headphone Stand Lovers and PICS Thread: ALL Stands Welcome!!

ajzepp

*****Per the excellent suggestion by fellow AC'er Blu99Zoomer, I've altered the title of this thread so that we can possibly use it as the foundation of an overall headphone stand thread. Please feel free to build upon what we already have started...let's see those STANDS!!!!   :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:  *****

Hey guys...one more thing I wanted to share...

I don't remember if I ever mentioned it on here before, but one of my favorite small (i.e. one-man operation) businesses in the world of headphones is Headphile.com. Larry Dale is an extremely talented guy and although his stuff is NOT cheap, the pride you can take in owning a Larry Dale original is very high. I'm a strong proponent of these small businesses, because I think the more choices we have the more FUN we have as consumers.

Anyway, I wanted to share with you guys the most recent project he has completed for me. I have two of his headphone stands already, but I wanted a double classic stand that was a little taller than my other two, because the Audeze headphones need a little more ground clearance. I chose Cocobolo for the wood this time after getting a few different opinions from friends, but something unexpected happened. Larry contacted me and said he had a piece of Cocobolo that was a bit more unique than the others. It had some lighter accents in the grain, and he wanted to know if I was game for something a little different. Ordinarily I'd probably say "nah", but I trust Larry's art sense 100%...so I said SURE, why not.

Well, I really feel like giving him the green light paid off in a big way...I'm really pleased with how the stand came out, and I wanted to share this man's work with the rest of you guys.

Take a gander!  :thumb:

« Last Edit: 28 Jun 2015, 03:15 pm by ajzepp »

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
Re: Headphone Stand
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jun 2015, 10:36 am »
Very nice! How about a photo with your cans on it so we can get a better sense of scale...
Thanks!

mcgsxr

« Reply #2 on: 4 Jun 2015, 11:42 am »
The sapwood of cocobolo is beautiful, nice piece!

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #3 on: 4 Jun 2015, 11:50 am »
That looks great, especially next to mine, a cupholder rack from Goodwill.   :thumb:

ajzepp

« Reply #4 on: 4 Jun 2015, 12:06 pm »
That looks great, especially next to mine, a cupholder rack from Goodwill.   :thumb:

LOL! I have a couple of the more practical options myself, actually...  :thumb:

ajzepp

« Reply #5 on: 4 Jun 2015, 12:07 pm »
Very nice! How about a photo with your cans on it so we can get a better sense of scale...
Thanks!

You got it! These are the pics that Larry took and sent to me, so it should be on the way very soon...once it shows up that'll be one of the first things I do  :D

ajzepp

« Reply #6 on: 4 Jun 2015, 12:08 pm »
The sapwood of cocobolo is beautiful, nice piece!

It sure is...the wood options he offers are stunning. Many of them are out of my price range (Gaboon Ebony is CRAZY expensive), but this one was right in the sweet spot.

ajzepp

« Reply #7 on: 6 Jun 2015, 03:12 am »
The stand has arrived! In honor of Bob2 I'm going to take a picture of the Headphile "Threesome" I have going on over here and post it after my shift tonight...

In fact...I think I'll put it riiiiiiiiiiight

HERE (coming soon)

Blu99Zoomer

« Reply #8 on: 21 Jun 2015, 07:11 pm »
ajzepp,

Picture?

Best Regards,

Blu99Zoomer

ajzepp

« Reply #9 on: 25 Jun 2015, 04:19 pm »
ACK, I totally forgot...it'll be up before tomorrow morning...thanks for the reminder :)

Blu99Zoomer

« Reply #10 on: 27 Jun 2015, 02:18 pm »
Would you mind if we expanded this discussion to include other manufactured and DIY headphone stands?

Best Regards,

Blu99Zoomer

ajzepp

« Reply #11 on: 28 Jun 2015, 03:16 pm »
Would you mind if we expanded this discussion to include other manufactured and DIY headphone stands?

Best Regards,

Blu99Zoomer

That is a great idea...I've altered the title in hopes we can get some other folks to join us :)

PS. DAMMIT, I forgot again didn't I....AAARRRGHH, okay, I'm going to go do it right now lol   :duh:

Blu99Zoomer

ajzepp,

You are either forgetful, or your brain is gone on vacation cause it's finally summer where you are. :lol:  I thank you for the topic modification and I join you in hoping for more involvement. 

I have been looking at the head-fi headphone forum on stand designs and thinking about a design I'd like to try.  I stopped at a lumber yard near me that specializes in locally sourced wood the other day but got there five minutes too late.  So I will stop there again within their regularly scheduled hours.  I am thinking about a stand made out of wood though I do know someone who is a good welder and may broach that with him to pick his brain.

I wish I knew a little more about what a stand can do to the headphones placed on it.  I haven't had headphones for a long time and recently purchased a set of Alpha Primes that came with a stand.  The only previous experience I had I did not own a stand.  So I am looking to make something that will keep the headphones in proper shape and condition.  I did notice an interesting glass enclosed case with a pull out door/stand for access.  No need to dust then.  But I am not sure that one is for me yet. That made me think of a barrister's cabinet to house a headphone collection.  Its glass door would go up and out of the way allowing access but preventing dust accumulation on the collection and allowing display.

How wide does the area between the ear pads when they are off the head need to be more or less to not deform the pads or stretch out the headband tension?  How curved does the stand's headband rest have to be to provide proper support there?  I understand I need to allow room for cabling.  So adjustable height might be good. 

Just a few thoughts.  Hope you enjoyed your Independence Day holidays.

Best Regards,

Blu99Zoomer

Bob2

What's a brother have to do to get a picture? :green:

Blu99Zoomer

You two are related? :duh: :lol:  Sorry, couldn't resist...

Bob2

Yeah! Were identical twins. I'm the handsome one! :thumb:

Blu99Zoomer

There goes the thread...

Blu99Zoomer

What kind of headphones do you guys wear then?

krikor

• Initiative comes to those who wait.
    • AudioSnoop.com
At the inexpensive end of the spectrum, here's my IKEA parts bin stand.

BobC

I like that.    :thumb: Whats the box?  Dac/Amp?