Blues music only.

Captainhemo

Re: Blues music only.
« Reply #940 on: 17 Jan 2015, 03:13 am »
Trampled Under Foot - Badlands (2013)

Edit: This is a B-A-D MoFo recording. It will TEAR YOU UP! Just sayin'.

Edit: Of lead singer (and bass player), Danielle Schnebelen, Koko Taylor says, "That girl gets down to the nitty gritty".

Listening to this  right now,   great stuff  :thumb:

ACHiPo

« Reply #941 on: 17 Jan 2015, 03:55 pm »

Kelly Joe Phelps   -   Lead Me On (Deluxe Edition   '95
Samples

I'll have to dig that one up.  I saw Kelly Joe live a couple times in Portland and he was mesmerizing.

ACHiPo

« Reply #942 on: 17 Jan 2015, 08:25 pm »
Keb Mo
The Door
SACD

AllMusic ReviewReview by William Ruhlmann
Keb' Mo''s self-titled first album, from its Robert Johnson covers to its appearance on a resuscitated Okeh Records, seemed to suggest the arrival of a Delta blues traditionalist, even though the former Kevin Moore was really a Los Angeles native who had kicked around the music business for years playing various styles of music. The follow-up, Just Like You, was therefore a disappointment to blues purists, since it clearly used folk-blues as a basis to create adult contemporary pop in the Bonnie Raitt mold. But to the music industry, that was just fine, since it fostered the hope that here was an artist (finally!) who could find a way to make the blues -- consistently revered but commercially dicey -- pay, and Keb' Mo' won a Best Contemporary Blues Album Grammy for his effort. Slow Down (1998) brought him a second Grammy and got even higher in the charts. The Door is more of the same. Keb' Mo''s slightly gritty voice and fingerpicking are the focus of the music, but he does not hesitate to add mainstream pop elements, beginning with writing partners who include Bobby McFerrin and Melissa Manchester, and continuing with a backup band that features such session aces as keyboard player Greg Phillinganes and drummer Jim Keltner. This is music that is folkish and bluesy rather than being actual folk-blues. Just in case anyone hasn't gotten the point yet, Keb' Mo' begins the album's sole cover, Elmore James' "It Hurts Me Too," in authentic folk-blues style, after which the arrangement lurches into a heavily percussive, anything but traditional direction. It's fair warning that the singer/guitarist is interested in tradition only as a jumping-off point. Maybe that's what "contemporary blues" is.

Samples

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
« Reply #943 on: 17 Jan 2015, 09:15 pm »

Absolutely awesome recording, my version is the double "45" LP... doesn't get much better than this!

Highly recommended!

ACHiPo

« Reply #944 on: 18 Jan 2015, 01:13 am »

Absolutely awesome recording, my version is the double "45" LP... doesn't get much better than this!

Highly recommended!
Pete,
It's a good album.  I have the SACD version.  Need to get it into rotation!

Thanks for the reminder.
AC

rockadanny

« Reply #945 on: 18 Jan 2015, 07:59 pm »
Charles Brown - In a Grand Style

Just CB and his piano - excellent laid back blues.

Captainhemo

« Reply #946 on: 21 Jan 2015, 04:35 am »

Savoy Brown   -   Live and Kickin'   '90
Samples

Airborn

« Reply #947 on: 21 Jan 2015, 06:40 pm »
Climax Blues Band, Rich Man (1972)

rockadanny

« Reply #948 on: 23 Jan 2015, 01:39 am »
John Hammond - Got Love if You Want It

A 1992 release, produced by J.J. Cale. One of John's favorites (as he told me).
Guest artists on a few tracks: John Lee Hooker; and Little Charlie and the Nightcats.

I took this insert with me when my wife and I went to see John at the Atlanta History Center several years ago with hope to have him sign it. (I've done this with many inserts/performers). It is a wonderfully intimate venue. They used to (still?) do a blues series during the winter months called "Nothin' But the Blues". Terrific performers we've seen there (Dave Van Ronk, Maria Muldaur, Rory Block, David "Honeyboy" Edwards, Robert Lockwood Jr., etc.) Anyway, I wanted to speak with John after the show but he was swamped with admirers, so I headed for the bathroom. About 30 seconds later, in walked John. I took my time washing my hands so we'd meet at the sink. We did, and we talked for a few minutes. I think I was gushingly appreciative of his performance a bit - he beat the living crap out of his guitar and sang his guts out. He really put on a terrific show.
At the end I asked him how, after performing these songs for more than 40 years, he could still get so emotionally involved when performing them. He looked me in the eye, smiled, and replied, "Man, I love this shit!". And walked out the door with a wicked grin.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #949 on: 23 Jan 2015, 02:02 am »
John Hammond - Got Love if You Want It

A 1992 release, produced by J.J. Cale. One of John's favorites (so he told me).

I took this insert with me when my wife and I went to see John at the Atlanta History Center several years ago with hope to have him sign it. (I've done this with many inserts/performers). It is a wonderfully intimate venue. They used to (still?) do a blues series during the winter months called "Nothin' But the Blues". Terrific performers (Dave Van Ronk, Maria Muldaur, Rory Block, David "Honeyboy" Edwards, Robert Lockwood Jr., etc.) Anyway, I wanted to speak with John after the show but he was swamped with admirers, so I headed for the bathroom. About 30 seconds later, in walked John. I took my time washing my hands so we'd meet at the sink. We did, and we talked for a few minutes. I think I was gushingly appreciative of his performance a bit - he beat the living crap out of his guitar and sang his guts out. He really put on a terrific show.
At the end I asked him how, after performing these songs for more than 40 years, he could still get so emotionally involved when performing them. He looked me in the eye, smiled, and replied, "Man, I love this shit!". And walked out the door with a wicked grin.

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #950 on: 24 Jan 2015, 01:13 pm »

B.B. King/Eric Clapton ~ Riding With The King

Captainhemo

« Reply #951 on: 25 Jan 2015, 06:48 am »

Julian Sas   -   Ragin' River   '02
Samples

Captainhemo

« Reply #952 on: 25 Jan 2015, 06:01 pm »

Julian Sas   -   Smile To My Soul 
Samples

Captainhemo

« Reply #953 on: 25 Jan 2015, 07:05 pm »

Julian Sas   -   Wandering Between Worlds   '09
Samples

Captainhemo

« Reply #954 on: 25 Jan 2015, 07:29 pm »

Julian Sas   -   Twilight Skies of Life   '05Samples

Listened to this again   (next day). Then listened to " Lost Again" a couple  of additonal times , man this track  just begs to have the volume rolled over  :rock: :drums: :dance:
« Last Edit: 27 Jan 2015, 06:10 am by Captainhemo »

Captainhemo

Captainhemo

« Reply #956 on: 28 Jan 2015, 05:22 pm »

Dave Meniketti   -   On the Blue Side   '00
Samples

Captainhemo

« Reply #957 on: 28 Jan 2015, 08:58 pm »

Kenny Wayne Shepherd Band   -   Trouble Is   '97
Samples