NX-Otica crossover question

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
NX-Otica crossover question
« on: 23 May 2016, 06:54 pm »
On the 100uF bundle of four 25uF Sonicaps, does it matter where the by-pass cap is placed? Does it have to connect to the main leads past the point where the four caps are joined together or will by-passing any one of the caps by-pass the whole bundle?

Mike

Danny Richie

Re: NX-Otica crossover question
« Reply #1 on: 23 May 2016, 08:34 pm »
On the 100uF bundle of four 25uF Sonicaps, does it matter where the by-pass cap is placed? Does it have to connect to the main leads past the point where the four caps are joined together or will by-passing any one of the caps by-pass the whole bundle?

Mike

It doesn't matter. You wind up with five leads together on one end and five leads together on the other.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 24 May 2016, 11:37 pm »
Thanks Danny.

Next question. For the crossovers I'm building I have been asked to keep the components a couple inches back to give the drivers more room to breath. With this in mind I have two layouts to ask about. They are basically the same except for the location of the big iron core inductor.

Is one of these layouts preferable?

Thanks,

Mike

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 25 May 2016, 12:00 am »
You're not going to inhibit any breathing of those lower drivers with crossover placement.

Captainhemo

« Reply #4 on: 25 May 2016, 12:39 am »
You're not going to inhibit any breathing of those lower drivers with crossover placement.

That's kind of my fault, I asked Ron  to do  that with mine as I wasn't sure if the magnet on the lower woofer would  , or could, cause any  issue.  IIRC, I mentined it to Mike's  customer...obviously I shouldn't have been worired about it

jay